• March 28, 2024, 03:16:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Replacing fan on DNS-320L  (Read 110817 times)

deuf

• Level 2 Member
Re: Replacing fan on DNS-320L
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 03:48:26 AM »

Ok... I see. But if the fan has to spin even when the NAS is idle, that's nonsense... i'd prefer to turn back to the old fan ... At least it was not spinning when in idle mode.
Are you sure ?

drc954

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 12:55:12 AM »

Same here after replacing it, I set it at Low/High, and you're right, it continues to spin even when the HDD is idle. But then again, with barely no noise, and it should help to keep the circuits temperature in check, why worry? I mean, I would thought the fan is to keep the environment inside the box, cool, right?

BTW I've also seen in the log: "Fan not detected..." message. I believe it's also mentioned in the Firmware Upgrade discussion about it being a bug. In my case, I don't keep the box on 24 x 7, so I'll ignore this symptom for the time being.  :D

J400uk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 05:26:33 AM »

Just finished fitting an XM1 but can't seem to get it to spin up, set the fan control to Manual/ Always High and nothing seems to be happening. Have swapped over the wires as per the earlier posts. Any suggestions?

Update, it seems to work if you manually spin the blades then it starts up. Maybe an issue with the DNS not giving it a high enough start up voltage?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 08:09:18 AM by J400uk »

Plunks

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »

Just finished fitting an XM1 but can't seem to get it to spin up, set the fan control to Manual/ Always High and nothing seems to be happening. Have swapped over the wires as per the earlier posts. Any suggestions?

Update, it seems to work if you manually spin the blades then it starts up. Maybe an issue with the DNS not giving it a high enough start up voltage?

Hi,
I think the problem is indeed the lack of "juice"...
In auto mode my 320L will not start the XM-2 replacement fan, even if the box is @ 50C.
If I switch to manual (always high) it will start.
If I go back to Automatic (Low/High) it will slow down after some time, so the speed control does work.
If I go back to full Auto mode, it will stop once the box is @37C but it will never start again.
I've noticed that there is a small movement when I switch back to Auto (Low/High) but it will not start to spin unless you help to get the first spin... This proves that the power is not enough for it.
According to the XM-2's spec http://www.blacknoise.com/de/products/it/12/Noiseblocker-NB_BlackSilentFan_40mm it needs 8V to start...
It would be nice to know how much the original fan needs... and the best would be to modify this thru fun_plug ;)

warg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 02:18:25 PM »

scythe mini kaze 40mm + custom fan control with ffp: works like a charm

Vortex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 07:30:06 AM »

I bought the same fan, but does not start to rotate.
Can you give me this custom fan control ffp script?

alzi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 03:13:31 AM »

Hi,
I think the problem is indeed the lack of "juice"...
In auto mode my 320L will not start the XM-2 replacement fan, even if the box is @ 50C.
If I switch to manual (always high) it will start.
If I go back to Automatic (Low/High) it will slow down after some time, so the speed control does work.
If I go back to full Auto mode, it will stop once the box is @37C but it will never start again.
I've noticed that there is a small movement when I switch back to Auto (Low/High) but it will not start to spin unless you help to get the first spin... This proves that the power is not enough for it.
According to the XM-2's spec http://www.blacknoise.com/de/products/it/12/Noiseblocker-NB_BlackSilentFan_40mm it needs 8V to start...
It would be nice to know how much the original fan needs... and the best would be to modify this thru fun_plug ;)

The starting voltage of the XM-2 is 8 V, so it won't start in low mode. Starting voltage of the original AVC fan ist 5 V. I installed a XM-1, whose starting voltage is 9 V and set the control to manual so it would run all the time. But even then cooling power was not enough so the system shut down on hot days.  It shovels only 0.08 m³ (the XM-2 0.11) while the original AVC 4010_12U does 0.238. Eventually I switched back to the AVC , therefore.

bisk81

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 01:00:12 AM »

The starting voltage of the XM-2 is 8 V, so it won't start in low mode. Starting voltage of the original AVC fan ist 5 V. I installed a XM-1, whose starting voltage is 9 V and set the control to manual so it would run all the time. But even then cooling power was not enough so the system shut down on hot days.  It shovels only 0.08 m³ (the XM-2 0.11) while the original AVC 4010_12U does 0.238. Eventually I switched back to the AVC , therefore.
I've got exactly the same problem: since i've bought and install a XM-2, even always running, the temperature of my NAS increases and after a while, it shuts off. I'm going to switch back to the old AVC fan, even with the noise :(

alzi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 03:46:48 AM »

I have installed now a Noctua NF A4x10 distributed by Amazon. It is a litte bit noisier than the Blacksilent fan but much more quiet than the original AVC  :). Though the cooling power does not quite reach that of the AVC it seems to be plenty enough. The fan starts and  rotates in low mode - never went up to high mode yet. Also I went back to FW 1.01 where the fan switches off when the disks are not in use, which  was not the case with 1.02 or 1.03  :(. The latter ones show temperature in the configuration menu, 1.01 does not  ???. Temperature is ok, however, as one can check with disk temperature in the menu.

I have to add that tempereture is shown when I use firefox instead of Chrome ;D

Have fun
alzi
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:49:23 PM by alzi »

bisk81

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 02:23:11 AM »

I have installed now a Noctua NF A4x10 distributed by Amazon.
Okay, thanks for news. But, it delivers only 0.137 m3/s so it's very lower than the AVC. Is this flow enough ?

alzi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 05:17:39 AM »

As mentioned:
"Though the cooling power does not quite reach that of the AVC it seems to be plenty enough. The fan starts and  rotates in low mode - never went up to high mode yet."  ;D

Have fun
Alzi

cmcruz007

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 04:45:47 AM »

I bought the XM2. Someone has been able to install fan without problems and that operate in auto mode?

ethaniel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 03:22:48 AM »

By chance, I also bought the NB-BlackSilentFan XM-2 from Amazon. Of course, ended up paying twice the price as it had to be shipped to Singapore. Also, not sure the differences between the XM-2 vs XM-1. Anyway, here's what I did. The plastic connector block has 3 small holes on side. Gently tug the wires, then with a sharp tool (paper clip or toothpick), press one by one, the 3 metal connectors thru these holes. It should allow you to pull loose the three wires, white, red, and black.

Now you can match the three wires order with the original fan, which is white, black, red, then insert the metal connectors back into the plastic block. Remove the original fan, replace it with the XM-2 fan, connect, and you should now have a very silent NAS box. It really is quite impressive the change in noise level.

I would also like to add that the board provides only 5V to the fan, which is not enough for it to run normally (otherwise it won't start).
You need 12V for the fan. Luckily, the board has such an option. You need to resolder the inductor from position L1 to L2 and voila - fan gets 12V instead of 5V (see image). I took my board to a repair shop and they did this for me for $5.

koadrian

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 02:51:25 AM »

is there a 12v mini fan?

masterxilef

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »

Has someone figure out how to add a second fan? Maybe as an intake?
And could you add the second fan to the same connector of the original one by splicing into the cables so it gets the power from there (12v right?) and maybe control it also?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4