• March 28, 2024, 11:55:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Active directory support  (Read 39791 times)

pctodd

• Level 1 Member
Re: Active directory support
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 08:50:46 PM »

I don't feel like a guinea pig, I feel like a real sucker.  I used to recommend D-link as a good value for your technical dollar.  After trying to get AD to work with the DNS-343, I can no longer recommend or sell
D-Link products and feel I am doing my customers justice.  I am very disappointed that a network product will not work with the largest standard in file server networking, being Active Directory.  If it doesn't work with AD, just say that and be honest.  I can respect and appreciated an honest answer. 
Really, how hard can it be to get things working with AD? 

Please send me the 1.04 beta or make it available for download.

tailslide

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 11:23:10 PM »

Well I couldn't connect again today so I went to restart the addon again..
Web admin page was not responding.  Could not ping the box.
Tried shutting it down with the button on the front.. just went into an eternal 'shutting down...' display.
Eventually had to unplug it and plug it back in.  Now it's responding to pings but the web page is still unavailable and the drive maps are not there. 

I fear I may have lost a lot of data.  Is there any kind of emergency recovery procedure?

iuliand

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 11:48:16 AM »

If everything else fails, try to use R-Studio 5 in order to recover the data from the disks in a normal computer. In another topic here is described how to set the parameters (you may check the tutorial from R-Studio website for recovering data from RAID5 volumes too).
I never tried it personally but theoretically it can be done.

tailslide

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »

If everything else fails, try to use R-Studio 5 in order to recover the data

Wow, that looks like an amazing tool, I didn't know such a thing existed. Next time I am at the NAS I will make sure to number my drives with a marker, looks like it might help knowing the physical order they were in if things go really wrong.

My DNS-343 eventually recovered, it seems like during the intial stages of the recovery (sync?) the web server goes unavailable. 40 hours later.. sync was done and it's working again.  Not sure if my hang was related to the beta firmware or not as I see others with this issue on the forum.  I didn't see this in the few weeks I ran it before the beta update.

iuliand

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 03:17:27 PM »

Glad to see your DNS is fine now.
Yes it's a good idea to number your drives. I already did this some time ago on my drives. I believe that no.1 is at the top.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »

Glad to read that you were able to access the data on the RAID.  That said, yes I know you know what I'm going to say next ...  ;)

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

... and oh yes, BACKUP BACKUP

Always remember that RAID is meant for real-time protection of data until the failed member is replaced.  It is not a replacement for a proper backup solution.

:)

tailslide

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 06:14:50 PM »

My important data is not on this raid, it's on a 300 Mb raid on my server that is backed up and offsited daily.  Unfortunately, backing up a 6tb NAS is beyond my finances at the moment.  Most of it is backed up. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost some files, I'd be disappointed if it was lost in a fire, robbery, etc but i'd hoped to not lose it to buggy firmware.

Edit:
Well, happened again I guess it'll be usable in another 40 hours.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:16:55 AM by tailslide »

md

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 01:58:02 AM »

I have the same issue with the NAS not working with ADS after a few days.

Fortunately - D-link login security is so bad, that you can access the form-script, if you have the direct URL.

So I made a VBScript, which I run once every night as a scheduled task. Hopefully, this will fix my problems.

The script simple stops the ADS service and then starts it again:
'---------------------------------
Dim NasIP
NasIP = "192.168.1.3"
Set objHTTP = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
objHTTP.open "POST", "http://" & NasIP & "/goform/Module_Enable_Disable", False

objHTTP.setRequestHeader "Content-Type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
objHTTP.send "f_module_name=ADS&f_enable=0"

Set objHTTP = Nothing

objHTTP.send "f_module_name=ADS&f_enable=1"

Set objHTTP = Nothing
'---------------------------------

Hope this is usefull to others - please comment

/MD

tailslide

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 08:04:54 AM »

I have the same issue with the NAS not working with ADS after a few days.

Fortunately - D-link login security is so bad, that you can access the form-script, if you have the direct URL.
/MD

Wow, that is great!  I was thinking about doing the same thing but my VBS is rusty.  Interesting it is not password protected. Thank you !!
 :D :D :D

FYI, my crashing problem keeps reoccuring when I try to overwrite a particular file.. I ran every scan disk and diagnostic under maintenance and they all came back 'OK'. So I just renamed the file "DONOTDELETEME"   ::)

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 08:19:16 AM »

Wow, that is great!  I was thinking about doing the same thing but my VBS is rusty.  Interesting it is not password protected. Thank you !!
 :D :D :D

FYI, my crashing problem keeps reoccuring when I try to overwrite a particular file.. I ran every scan disk and diagnostic under maintenance and they all came back 'OK'. So I just renamed the file "DONOTDELETEME"   ::)

The fix has not been applied to 1.04 yet for Add-On's but it is already live in 1.08 for DNS-323. On final release that 'hole' wont be there.

After renaming your file the ADS no longer crashes at that part of copying?

tailslide

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2010, 08:23:10 AM »

The fix has not been applied to 1.04 yet for Add-On's but it is already live in 1.08 for DNS-323. On final release that 'hole' wont be there.

After renaming your file the ADS no longer crashes at that part of copying?

No, ADS still crashes..  I have a file that whenever I try to overwrite it, it causes my DNS-343 to hang and not shut down.  I have to unplug the box.   May or may not be related to ADS.

Also, MD's script is not working for me... it runs but ADS doesn't get shut down. Maybe this got fixed in the beta firmware...  I'll try and tweak it to go through the login process

tailslide

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 08:36:07 AM »

So I made a VBScript, which I run once every night as a scheduled task. Hopefully, this will fix my problems.

I had to add the login process to the script then it started working for me.. note you have to re-login after stopping it.

Dim NasIP
NasIP = "192.168.12.131"

objHTTP.open "POST", "http://" & NasIP & "/web/login.asp?id=9999", False
objHTTP.send "f_LOGIN_NAME=admin&f_LOGIN_PASSWD=mypassword"

objHTTP.send "f_module_name=ADS&f_enable=0"

objHTTP.open "POST", "http://" & NasIP & "/web/login.asp?id=9999", False
objHTTP.send "f_LOGIN_NAME=admin&f_LOGIN_PASSWD=mypassword"

objHTTP.send "f_module_name=ADS&f_enable=1"

Set objHTTP = Nothing

Wilson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 02:55:17 AM »

Here are my findings with the 1.04 beta firmware. My big problem in both 1.03 and 1.04 is AD authentication stops working every couple days and I have to restart the ADS addon. If anyone has any suggestions for a fix I'd love to hear them. Maybe it's falling off the domain? I am seriously considering setting up our old DNS-323 again and backing the whole thing up and resetting it to factory defaults so I can go back to the built in security. 

AD Server: Win 2008R2, x64

Good:
- I can now map to a drive using the name of the NAS rather than the IP address.
- Before I had one workstation out of several that would not connect no matter what I tried, it can now connect

Bad:
- After it has been running for a few days, my drive mappings to the NAS still stop working. I have to stop and start the ADS addon then they start working again.
 (could the NAS be falling off the domain and then re-registering when I restart the addon?)

-If I uninstall the ADS addon, all the options to setup the onboard user accounts are still grayed out.

Hello, how many ad users do you have?

tailslide

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 07:17:51 AM »

Hello, how many ad users do you have?

35 users total but only a few are active.  The only reason I have an AD server is I am a software developer and need it for developing against.

As a side note, that script seems to have done the trick for me except for the programs that gripe about the drive disappearing during the restart every night.

Wilson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2010, 01:32:22 AM »

35 users total but only a few are active.  The only reason I have an AD server is I am a software developer and need it for developing against.

As a side note, that script seems to have done the trick for me except for the programs that gripe about the drive disappearing during the restart every night.

Did you do file copying or any specified operation before the authentication stops? I am wondering what could be the problem? I have been power on my 343 with AD server authenticated for a week, it is still working properly. Is anyone here have the same problem?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4