• April 27, 2024, 05:36:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Does a FW upgrade blow away users/groups, etc?  (Read 2738 times)

dividedhighw

• Level 2 Member
Does a FW upgrade blow away users/groups, etc?
« on: April 16, 2011, 11:09:26 AM »

I have a DNS-321 on FW 1.02 (current is 1.03) and a couple of DNS-323's (current is 1.09) I administrate that are on FW 1.06 ... I'm led to understand that (barring a hiccup of some sort), the existing data won't be destroyed, but just wondering how much risk/hassle, etc, this will be.  For example, I've read advice that when you upgrade FW, you should reset to factory defaults, which to me, implies that one will lose all customization including users and groups, etc.

Any info/advice is much appreciated!  :)

Many Thanks,
DH

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Does a FW upgrade blow away users/groups, etc?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 12:01:01 PM »

No - a firmware upgrade does not "blow away" users/groups etc. (barring a hiccup of some sort), but a reset to defaults will.

Strictly speaking a reset to defaults after a firmware upgrade is not required, and I don't do it unless I run into an issue post upgrade (which has happened only once in nine plus upgrades - betas included) - if you do run into odd, unexplainable issues after the upgrade, a reset will usually fix it.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

dividedhighw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:25:26 PM »

Excellent info - Thx! :)

shredhead1260

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:32:53 AM »

same question with funplug stuff...

if I upgrade firmware, do I lose any of those configuration changes I've made?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 05:50:49 AM »

Let me explain something about fun_plug - it's a script, a list of commands that the DNS-323 looks for when it starts up, and if it finds the list, it executes the commands, whatever those commands are.

What fun_plug does and how it does it depends on what commands are in the list - that means that my fun_plug may not do the same thing that your fun_plug does - I can upgrade the firmware and not worry about the effect it has on my fun_plug, because I know what my fun_plug does - I created it.  I can't tell you what the effect on your fun_plug will be, because I have no idea what your fun_plug does - if you created your own fun_plug, then you get to answer that question yourself, if not, then you have to ask whoever created the fun_plug you're using.

Are you going to lose configuration changes - that may depend on where they are stored - you can use fun_plug to overwrite the stored configuration and if that's what was done, then yes, you'll lose them, on the other hand you can also store those changes on the disk and have fun_plug apply those changes every time the unit starts up, and if that's how it was done, then no you won't lose them.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.