• March 28, 2024, 04:35:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DNS-323 Not showing up under Shared In Mac  (Read 19230 times)

robdirect

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 Not showing up under Shared In Mac
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:02:25 PM »

Question.. Just got this device and I can't seem to have it just pop-up under snow leopard Shared? All other device that connect with Cat5e show up.. I'm I doing something wrong? Or this device doesn't pop-up..

Okay if I connect going through Cmd K it will show up without device name. but with local IP address only

m2k3423

• Level 2 Member
Re: DNS-323 Not showing up under Shared In Mac
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:07:42 PM »

Hi fellow OS X'er, 

To have the DNS-323 show up in finder, you need Bonjour running in the box.  To do that, first update you firmware to 1.08. Then you can visit  ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dns323/ and look for Bonjour APKG, download and decompress (Safari would have done that for you). Then, goto the web configuration menu item "Advanced", "Add-ons", upload the Bonjour package. When upload is done, click on the icon next to the list item Bonjour to start the service. Shortly after, the box should show up in Finder.

If you have DNS-323 iTunes server enabled, you may have two items listed under Bonjour in Safari, but one in Finder, and another in iTunes.  BTW, the iTunes server user interface in DNS-323 is quite buggy. You may want to try Firefly (another APKG) now.

robdirect

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:38:45 AM »

thank you for the help.. It worked... thank you thank you again.. Question for you I'm new to the 323.. What are the fellow mac users using this device for?

j.smith

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:05:05 AM »

Nice!  I wasn't sure if there was a Bonjour package available or not... likely because it's still in the beta directory (but I'll be giving it a try anyways).

As for what I am using this for, it's operating as a typical NAS where I can store stuff that I don't care to keep on the computers (PCs and Macs), though more useful is that it is also serving as the storage location for the Time Machine backups.

m2k3423

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:34:42 AM »

Well, I find the gigabit ethernet NAS very useful, it make it possible to move iDVD projects there, keeping them accessible until the entire project complete. Keeping dmg where any mac can get to instead of re-downloading, these are things that you often need around but can afford to loose.

m2k3423

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »

One note about using DNS323 as "Time Capsule", for that matter, any NAS that is based on samba for sharing file system contents.  You can probably google for the steps you have to perform to get "Time Machine" to backup to a samba NAS. However, be cautioned that this is not a good idea.

Think for a moment: What makes a good backup storage ? One, you can get your backup software (a.k.a Time Machine on OS X) to shove files into the storage for full backup quickly, and shove incremental changes without hassle.  Two, when the archived device fails, allow one to restore easily without hassle (otherwise, one will suffer a heart attack!).

Why it is not a good idea to use a samba-based NAS for OS X Time Machine?  You will likely suffer heart attack  - during restore, you can only connect AFS volume when booted from OS X install disk.  

You can use a samba-based NAS to work with Time Machine, only if you do not expect to perform a complete restore, but only as an online copy of historical copies of some files/directories.

There are other NAS in the market that support AFP, since this is a Dlink forum, I shall not offend them by promoting their competitors here, just use your fingers to help yourself, or put up request to dlink to support AFS (netatalk).

So, be warned.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:40:54 PM by m2k3423 »

golinko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »

Hi fellow OS X'er,  

To have the DNS-323 show up in finder, you need Bonjour running in the box.  To do that, first update you firmware to 1.08. Then you can visit  ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dns323/ and look for Bonjour APKG, download and decompress (Safari would have done that for you). Then, goto the web configuration menu item "Advanced", "Add-ons", upload the Bonjour package. When upload is done, click on the icon next to the list item Bonjour to start the service. Shortly after, the box should show up in Finder.

If you have DNS-323 iTunes server enabled, you may have two items listed under Bonjour in Safari, but one in Finder, and another in iTunes.  BTW, the iTunes server user interface in DNS-323 is quite buggy. You may want to try Firefly (another APKG) now.

this is where you get the Bonjour link now:
http://station-drivers.com/page/dlink.htm
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:18:11 PM by golinko »

greg99

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 08:42:03 AM »

I registered for the site for the sole purpose of thanking everyone here for the advice - followed your directions and they worked perfectly.

Thanks to all.

Greg

robdirect

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 10:06:17 AM »

Thanks for the help,

Different question would you be able to see the Device outside of your LAN?

zwalex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 11:18:29 AM »

thank you for the help.. It worked... thank you thank you again.. Question for you I'm new to the 323.. What are the fellow mac users using this device for?
The Bonjour package does not seem to be available any more on d-link's ftp server.
If you guy's still have it somewhere, can you please send it to me and/or upload it somewhere here.
I would also be curious if it still works with fw 1.09 that I am running.
TIA and Cheers,
alex

jaypeecee

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 05:36:21 AM »

The Bonjour package does not seem to be available any more on d-link's ftp server.
If you guy's still have it somewhere, can you please send it to me and/or upload it somewhere here.
I would also be curious if it still works with fw 1.09 that I am running.
TIA and Cheers,
alex

I second that - I spent 90 minutes on the phone with DLink trying to get them to tell me what the deal was, with a big nothing to show for it. Level 3 support couldn't tell me where the file was, if Bonjour support was discontinued, why it was removed, etc. I'd really appreciate it if someone who still has the file would make it available.

bripab007

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 06:58:06 AM »

Just to clarify what was said by the second poster in this thread:  D-Link's Bonjour package IS NOT REQUIRED to be running on your DNS-323 in order for it to show up in Finder on OS X. By default the DNS-323 broadcasts its shares over SMB protocol, which Finder in OS X fully supports (albeit buggily, at times).

This is why Windows and Linux network shares automagically pop up in Finder as well, since they, too, broadcast via SMB.

This Bonjour package may, however, broadcast/work more consistently with OS X than SMB does, which is why I want to try it.

zwalex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:11:32 AM »

this is where you get the Bonjour link now:
http://station-drivers.com/page/dlink.htm
This is just linking back to the dead D-Link ftp link (ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dns323/Beta/Apps/dns323_bonjour_package_100_07292009.zip), btw.

zwalex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 09:21:57 AM »

Question.. Just got this device and I can't seem to have it just pop-up under snow leopard Shared? All other device that connect with Cat5e show up.. I'm I doing something wrong? Or this device doesn't pop-up..
I am running 10.9 too and the dns-323 shows up just fine like any other SMB device and/or Windoze computer in my network connected to the Windoze WORKGROUP workgroup (sorry, Windoze lingo ...).
Make sure that the device is defined for the WORKGROUP workgroup (in Setup/Device in the web admin configuration) and it should show up just fine. Or change WORKGROUP to whatever Windoze workgroup you are using in your network and obviously can see on your Mac.

Although the SMB connection seems to be pretty fast I still would like to try out the official D-Link Bonjour/avahi alternative ...
Cheers,
alex
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:46:19 AM by zwalex »

lookingforinfo

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »

When I was having problems connecting my DNS-323 to a Mac Mini, I had many of the same problems.  In addition to FW 1.08, I found that restarting the DNS-323 after changes and then restarting OS X made my life much less frustrating and the two devices started working together.
Pages: [1] 2