• April 16, 2024, 04:29:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: modern HDD list?  (Read 5073 times)

jonpaul

• Level 1 Member
modern HDD list?
« on: March 19, 2014, 07:06:39 AM »

Hello I just got a DNS-343, upgraded to FW 1.05. I have also ordered  4 pcs Seagate 4TB  HDD.15 ST4000DM000

However the drive list mentions no drives over 2TB. A web search reveals no further information.

Is this NAS limited to <2TB or they just have not tested larger drives? When shall D-Link test larger drives? Or update the drive list?

I need to know ASAP as I must return all the drives if they are not compatible.  >:(

Many thanks!

Kind Regards,

Jon

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: modern HDD list?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:10:57 AM »

The DNS-343 does not support HDDs larger than 2TB
DNS-343 - HDD Size & AFT Support

Feel free to post back with any other questions  ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:55:23 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

jonpaul

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 03:46:15 AM »

Hello again! I returned the 4TB Seagate to Newegg ($600 for 4 x 4 TB! big bargain!) and just got 4 x 2TB Seagate SATA NAS HDD ST2000VN000. ~$400.

However, I do not see any list of "approved" drives. Suggest that D-Link post all the TYPES of drives useable or prohibited, to save a lot of time. If it varies for each NSA model how about a simple chart?

Can you confirm the above named drives ARE useable? When (if ever) will the old 2TB limit be lifted? Can it be a FW upgrade or its OS or hardware limited?

Kind Regards,

Jon

Jon

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:16:27 AM »

I don't think the 2TB limit will ever be lifted for the DNS-343. The DNS-321/323/343 are D-Link's oldest ShareCenter devices, and have already been replaced 2 times over by two successive models in the product line, which is where D-Link seems to be devoting most of it's efforts. Validating the integrity of new HDD models (which change on a semi-regular basis) requires a significant amount of burn-in and QA testing. As it stands the official compatible HDD list for the DNS-343 hasn't been updated in over 2 years. I maintain the Compatible HDD sticky on this board so users can share their experiences with newer model HDDs.

DNS-343 - Compatible HDDs

jonpaul

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:59:37 AM »

JavaLawyer! Many thanks! Thought so! I got my DNS-343 for $155 new in a box off epay, the later models are much more.

Its fine for my use, and matches my DNS323.

should have the 2TB Seagate NAS drives in a few days.

Seems you and I are the only ones recently active on this forum!

Kind Regards,

Jon

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:07:57 AM »

Seems so. . .

Please post back in a month or so after you've had a chance to burn-in the new HDDs.  We can add your comments to the HDD sticky post.

How are you planning on configuring your HDDs? I have two DNS-343s and all 8 HDDs are configured as Standard Volumes and have been working 24/7 for 5+ years without any issues (DNS-343 #1 backs up to DNS-343 #2). The less complex the formatting method, the less likelihood of configuration related issues and the easier it will be to recover in the event of a failure.

Working with four volumes may be less convenient than one large volume, but it's a safer way to go.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:09:50 AM by JavaLawyer »