• April 25, 2024, 06:17:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: DNS-320L - Firmware Wishlist  (Read 488197 times)

salvador_1970

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-320L - Firmware Wishlist
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 08:57:08 AM »

Hello,

Wish: The UPnP AV Server should be able to streaming mkv files on dlna certified TV

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 09:01:02 AM »

Hello,

Wish: The UPnP AV Server should be able to streaming mkv files on dlna certified TV

Added. . .  ;)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 09:03:05 AM »

The following DNS-320L Firmware Wishlist contains the collective contribution of the DNS-320L D-Link forum community. If you would like to contribute to this list, please post your suggestions as a reply to this thread.

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over-generalized, misrepresented, or overlooked anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent additions/changes are highlighted in blue. Items addressed on the latest firmware are striked out.

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

DNS-320L Wishlist

• General - Option to auto-unzip compressed files following download completion
  • General - Wake on LAN support
  • P2P - Ability to control the quantity of connections and simultaneous downloads
  • P2P - Support for magnet links
  • UPnP - Support for streaming MKV files on a DLNA certified TV
  • [Bug] P2P - Inability to resume a torrent that is stopped (rather than paused)
  • [Bug] P2P - Intermittent P2P client freezing (requires DNS-320L reboot to temporarily restore service)

Wishlist Items Addressed by D-Link (Thank you!)

• TBD

Dester31

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 02:56:31 AM »

Hi,

here are my experiences after about a month:

- the web management UI is VERY slow (even at 0% CPU load)
- P2P freezes almost every day, the newly added torrents don't start automatically even if this option is checked, needs reboot more often
- P2P: cannot display more than 10 elements on the screen (the combobox shows only "10")
- P2P: it would be very useful if the download location could be specified (not only the volume but the folder as well). I know this may not be possible to implement as fully separated share is used. For Windows users this is not too convenient as they require two separate drive letters to access both the P2P part and the rest. It would be great if the downloaded content could be everywhere, so it could be used and seeded at the same time without messing up the structure of the hard drive. :)
- Install: if the drive is preformatted with ext4, the installation even forces to format the drive at first use. This causes the use of a previously used drive much annoyance as not everyone has another 1-2 TB space to save the content, format the drive and copy everything back.
- Sometimes the connection gets dropped, which is very annoying during copying a very large file (must start copying again)
- The CPU utilization can be 100% for no particular reason (P2P process runs, but it is currently out of schedule)
- The utilization line on the graph is hard to see (yellow line on white background)
- The beta firmware (1.00b8) cannot be installed. BTW, the changes should be enclosed in the file, but only the 1.00 release notes are present
- The full bandwidth is not used at P2P. I have 80/25 Mbit connection, but the download speed does not reach the 7 MByte/sec speed. When I'm downloading the same torrent with my computer to the local hard drive, it does. This issue can be because of the processor speed of the NAS, I know, but I wanted to include it in this list.

+1: I could not register to THIS forum as the confirmation email didn't arrive. I tried it almost for a month, tried again today and I received the mail finally. :) No contact person in this case on the forum. (Writing an admin requires a live registration...)

If you require more testing or information, please let me know.

Thanks, best regards,
Dester

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 07:16:55 AM »

+1: I could not register to THIS forum as the confirmation email didn't arrive. I tried it almost for a month, tried again today and I received the mail finally. :) No contact person in this case on the forum. (Writing an admin requires a live registration...)

Correct, the forum email has been down for 30+ days. We posted threads on boards across the forum to let everyone know.  The issue was resolved a week ago. * Forum Email Registration Issue *

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 07:46:10 AM »

Hi,

here are my experiences after about a month:

- the web management UI is VERY slow (even at 0% CPU load)
- P2P freezes almost every day, the newly added torrents don't start automatically even if this option is checked, needs reboot more often
- P2P: cannot display more than 10 elements on the screen (the combobox shows only "10")
- P2P: it would be very useful if the download location could be specified (not only the volume but the folder as well). I know this may not be possible to implement as fully separated share is used. For Windows users this is not too convenient as they require two separate drive letters to access both the P2P part and the rest. It would be great if the downloaded content could be everywhere, so it could be used and seeded at the same time without messing up the structure of the hard drive. :)
- Install: if the drive is preformatted with ext4, the installation even forces to format the drive at first use. This causes the use of a previously used drive much annoyance as not everyone has another 1-2 TB space to save the content, format the drive and copy everything back.

. . .

- The CPU utilization can be 100% for no particular reason (P2P process runs, but it is currently out of schedule)
- The utilization line on the graph is hard to see (yellow line on white background)

. . .

- The full bandwidth is not used at P2P. I have 80/25 Mbit connection, but the download speed does
not reach the 7 MByte/sec speed. When I'm downloading the same torrent with my computer to the local hard drive, it does. This issue can be because of the processor speed of the NAS, I know, but I wanted to include it in this list.

Thank you for detailed your contribution!  ;)
Added to the list. . .

- Sometimes the connection gets dropped, which is very annoying during copying a very large file (must start copying again)

I can't add this without validation that the problem is inherent to the DNS-320L rather than an external networking/LAN issue.

- The beta firmware (1.00b8) cannot be installed. BTW, the changes should be enclosed in the file, but only the 1.00 release notes are present

I believe 1.00b8 precedes 1.00, which would make this an earlier firmware version.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 07:50:22 AM »

The following DNS-320L Firmware Wishlist contains the collective contribution of the DNS-320L D-Link forum community. If you would like to contribute to this list, please post your suggestions as a reply to this thread.

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over-generalized, misrepresented, or overlooked anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent additions/changes are highlighted in blue. Items addressed on the latest firmware are striked out.

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

DNS-320L Wishlist

• General - Improve Web UI responsiveness (sluggish performance)
  • General - HDDs preformatted with EXT4 are forced to reformat upon first use (problematic for users lacking storage space to displace/offload data during the format process)
  • GUI - Utilization line on graph is difficult to see (yellow line on a white background)
  • P2P - Add option to specify download location (volume and folder)
  • P2P - Ability to control the quantity of connections and simultaneous downloads
  • P2P - Full bandwidth is not utilized for downloads
  • P2P - Increase maximum number of elements for onscreen display (Currently limited to 10)
  • [Bug] General - CPU utilization often hangs at 100% although no process intensive services seem to be running
  • [Bug] P2P - Inability to resume a torrent that is stopped (rather than paused)
  • [Bug] P2P - Intermittent P2P client freezing (requires DNS-320L reboot to temporarily restore service)
  • [Bug] P2P - Newly added torrents don't start automatically even if option is checked
  • [Bug] P2P - Periodic freezes

• TBD
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 06:11:23 PM by JavaLawyer »

Dester31

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »

Thank you for processing my long post. :) Just some small clarification: the download speed does NOT reach the possible maximum of 7 MB/sec. I didn't see larger values than approx. 4-5 MB/sec, and even these values are very rare as well.

The freezing P2P client is included twice on the buglist. :) I think both issues might be both basically the same.

Some details about losing the connection: when the connection is dropped, the whole content disappears, the drives behind the drive letters become instantly inaccessible. The rest of the network communication on the same computer works further, so neither the router, nor the computer drops the connection, other computers and shares are still accessible, only the NAS (and all of its shares) "disappears".

According to the firmware, you are right, I was wrong. :)

netscipio

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 07:48:10 AM »

Hi all!

I have been using the DNS-320L for a month now and wanted to share some thoughts:

- Power On/Off Scheduling: The device shuts down at the time specified, even if it is still streaming music or else. Would be a great improvement if this function would wait for the device to switch to idle mode before shutting it down.

- Fan noise: Well, this might be a subjective experience, but my fan is quite noisy. The firmware only offers Off/Low/High. Wouldnīt it be possible to have the fan spin at lowest speed all the time? Even at "low" setting it can be heard while listening to music.

- Album Art (started a separate post on this: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=51142.0)

Thatīs it for the moment. Will see what the next weeks will show.

NetScipio

tankie22

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »

Hi All,

Wishlist
More web services. - Ability to backup to the following;
  • Ftp server
    Amazon Glacier
    Google Drive
    MS Sky Drive

Ability to use the USB socket as a host port would be amazing.

+1 on the DNLA support for MKV but ad UPNP too.
+1 on the speeding up of the sluggish UI.

Thanks

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 06:20:16 PM »

Thank you for processing my long post. :) Just some small clarification: the download speed does NOT reach the possible maximum of 7 MB/sec. I didn't see larger values than approx. 4-5 MB/sec, and even these values are very rare as well.

The freezing P2P client is included twice on the buglist. :) I think both issues might be both basically the same.

Some details about losing the connection: when the connection is dropped, the whole content disappears, the drives behind the drive letters become instantly inaccessible. The rest of the network communication on the same computer works further, so neither the router, nor the computer drops the connection, other computers and shares are still accessible, only the NAS (and all of its shares) "disappears".

According to the firmware, you are right, I was wrong. :)

Updates made!   ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »

- Power On/Off Scheduling: The device shuts down at the time specified, even if it is still streaming music or else. Would be a great improvement if this function would wait for the device to switch to idle mode before shutting it down.

Added...

- Fan noise: Well, this might be a subjective experience, but my fan is quite noisy. The firmware only offers Off/Low/High. Wouldnīt it be possible to have the fan spin at lowest speed all the time? Even at "low" setting it can be heard while listening to music.

Added. . . But I presume this option would present a danger since the DNS-320L would lack the capacity to respond to overheating if the fan were fixed on a low setting.

- Album Art (started a separate post on this: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=51142.0)

Will have to wait for others to weigh in on this issue (i.e. is this the same as the DNS-320?)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 06:23:06 PM »

Hi All,

Wishlist
More web services. - Ability to backup to the following;
  • Ftp server
    Amazon Glacier
    Google Drive
    MS Sky Drive

Added...  ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »

DNS-320L Wishlist

• General - Improve Web UI responsiveness (sluggish performance)
  • General - HDDs preformatted with EXT4 are forced to reformat upon first use (problematic for users lacking storage space to displace/offload data during the format process)
  • General - Option to manually set fan speed on Low (all the time)
  • General - Power on/off on a schedule and/or system idle
  • Backup - Support for additional services: FTP server, Amazon Glacier, Google Drive, Microsoft Sky Drive
  • GUI - Utilization line on graph is difficult to see (yellow line on a white background)
  • USB - Option to use the USB socket as a hots port
  • P2P - Add option to specify download location (volume and folder)
  • P2P - Full bandwidth is not utilized for downloads
  • P2P - Increase maximum number of elements for onscreen display (Currently limited to 10)
  • [Bug] General - CPU utilization often hangs at 100% although no process intensive services seem to be running
  • [Bug] P2P - Newly added torrents don't start automatically even if option is checked

• TBD

sleepy13

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 03:00:49 AM »

- Dropbox support
- Possibility to set a min. temperature for the fan spins Low/High
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32