• March 28, 2024, 02:58:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dlink DNS 343 Active Directory "Failed" message  (Read 18306 times)

jno

• Level 1 Member
Dlink DNS 343 Active Directory "Failed" message
« on: July 04, 2011, 11:44:39 PM »

Hi helpful heros,

I know there has been plenty of talk in the past about issues, potential fixes and everything in between about the active directory integration with this DNS box.  We have two, and have always used them as a workgroup in the past which works fine with one flaw: You cannot set permissions on any folders within the device that we use as a Media storage server at our education facility.  Having a storage device with lots of precious data open for all users to read/write EVERYTHING is really not preferable.  Hearing about the upgrades to firmware over the recent year(s) to allow active directory support made us a lot happier.. temporarily.

We downloaded the active directory "ADS 1.01" add-on and installed.  We upgraded to 1.4 and even now the 1.5 beta firmware.  We downloaded, printed and read all available info and manual regarding AD with the DNS 343.
Yet, when we put in all of the AD info in the web client and try to save settings, we always get the simple message "failed" in a web browser error window.

Can anyone lend some helpful hints on how to potentially set us up / help out??? ???

What has already been done:  Okay, we have installed and reinstalled firmware.
I have achieved the same error message through Safari on Mac and on IE on Windows.
Time has been appropriately set to AD (an actual error message pops up saying that the time is incorrect if it is so).
The DNS has a static IP on the appropriate domain.
Again, it works perfectly as a workgroup.
The following is what I put into each field (in both the wizard and the "device" tab in setup):
UserName: **standard student account**
Password: **password for student account**
DNS1: **our first AD server is automatically linked**
DNS2: **same as DNS1 but second AD server obviously**
Host Name: Nas_media
Workgroup: workgroup  **Why does it ask this??!? I have used both "workgroup" and our workgroup name**
Realm Name:  **Our FQDN i.e. domain.organisation.com**
AD Server Name: **The actual name of DNS1**
This setup always results in a failed message when trying to save.  Oh and trust me, I have tried many alternatives in each field...

Any and all suggestions are appreciated :)

jno

• Level 1 Member
Re: Dlink DNS 343 Active Directory "Failed" message
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 06:24:32 PM »

If anyone has successfully joined their dns 343 to AD please help out  :(

If you just post what you filled into your AD settings it would help a lot.

ascendnet

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:06:08 PM »

I am getting the same results as you are. We were working with the 1.03 firmware and 1.0 AD addon but had occasional issues related to authentication. So I upgraded to the latest firmware and addon but cannot get it to save without the failed message. We also have a second unit that is still on the older firmware and addon with the same settings I am trying to give this version and it works properly. So it would seem like I am giving it the correct information, or at least the same information the old 1.0 addon used.

Has anyone gotten this working and if so....... help :-)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:18 PM »

Here's a thread with Active Directory settings: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=8237.0
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ascendnet

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »

That thread seems to be more related to network connectivity issues with firmware 1.03 and ADS 1.0 after getting the device settings configured for Active Directory. And also compatibility issues with Windows 7 and/or Server 2008.

The problem that I have is that with Firmware 1.04 and ADS 1.0 or 1.01 I can no longer get it configured for Active Directory. When I put in the same setting we previously used it returns with a failed message. I know the settings should be correct because they are the same as a second unit we have that is still running the previous firmware and ADS. We are using Server 2003 and nothing else has changed other then an updated firmware and ADS. We also have one domain controller running 32-bit and the other 64-bit, can't get it connected to either of them.

Anyone out there gotten Active Directory to work with the current firmware and ADS on Server 2003?

jno

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »

Yes ascendnet, I am the same as you.  Although I haven't tried downgrading to 1.03 and ADS 1.0 so that might help out.

Oh and the beta for 1.05 firmware is out if you want to try your luck with that?  I have already to no avail.

I am using server 2003 on almost all of our servers too.

I'll try find 1.03 and unhappily downgrade for the sake of getting AD working.

And for anyone with help please don't give links or ideas to search; nobody likes a goose-chase.  Even if you just copy and paste it'll be better in the long run if people come here looking for an answer to the same problem ;)

Thanks for the help so far!

jno

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »

Okay, I must have a different problem to you ascendnet..  I downloaded and installed Firmware 1.03 and ADS 1.0 but had the same problem!  No damn luck at all.  Must be an issue with either our network or the details I am putting into the AD list...

And yes JavaLawyer, I had previously read and re-read that thread before even creating an account on these forums.. My settings are the same (except it is our company's details obviously) and I get stopped at the first error message :(

UrbanDK

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 05:37:56 AM »

jno,

You mentioned setting Workgroup to workgroup.  Have you tried to use the domain name?

In otherwords, let say your realm is "domain.com", try setting your workgroup to "domain"

DNS-343 [B1 Hardware] 4x1TB HDD (RAID5)
DIR-655 [A4 Hardware]
DGS-1008G (x2)
DGS-2208
DGS-2205
DAP-1522

jno

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 09:28:21 PM »

WOW!!  UrbanDK = hero.

I honestly did try that under advise from another technician here a while ago and had no luck.  But since then I have uninstalled the ADS and firmware, installed 1.3 and ADS 1.0, uninstalled those and reinstalled 1.5beta and ADS 1.01, and it worked by using the domain name as the workgroup this time!!  Message = "Success!!!"  THE ONLY OTHER CHANGE WAS REMOVING AN UNDERSCORE IN THE HOST NAME.

Thank God for forums and the helpful people that come just to help others out.

I'll post my setup in case anyone else comes here with the same problem:

User Name: Administrator
Password: **********
DNS1: **automatically displayed** (shows IP address of Active Directory server)
DNS2: **Automatically displayed**
Host Name: NASMedia   (removed a previous underscore)
Workgroup: **domain**
Realm Name: **domain.company.com**
AD Server Name: **Name of one of our AD servers**

Thanks so much for everybody's input!  :D

ascendnet

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 09:52:13 PM »

I still can't get mine going again. Even after going back to the original 1.03 and ADS 1.0 I still get the failure message even though this setup had previously worked.

jno, I wonder if the fix for you was removing the underscore and nothing to do with the firmware. I previously had a hostname with a hyphen in it. I have since taken it out with no change.

Also you mention that you are using......
Workgroup: **domain**
Realm Name: **domain.company.com**

Our site is setup with a domain name similar to ABC, and a full domain of ABCCOMPANY.COM. So I have been using settings like below....
Workgroup: **abc**
Realm Name: **abccompany.com**

Finally after going back to 1.03 and 1.0 ADS to try again with no luck I reinstalled 1.05 and 1.01 ADS and still get a failure. I am at a loss as to what is going on. I still have my second unit up and running using the same settings with no issues on 1.03 and 1.0 ADS.

jno

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 12:07:01 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that ascendnet.

Well the Realm Name MUST be the Fully Qualified Domain Name that the DNS 343 is on.  So whatever domain relates to the IP address you either assigned it or DHCP assigned it must be entered.

I think I know what you mean with your domain and company.  Lets pretend I work for Microsoft.  My actual company uses a domain called Microsoft and one called Education.  Now, our Education domain is kind of a sub-domain to Microsoft (I don't know what it is called sorry - new to this industry and learning LOTS everyday).  So our two FQDNs (Fully Qualified Domain Names) are microsoft.com and education.microsoft.com  (This is what my actual business uses).  The Microsoft domain for my company uses the IP range: 10.200.*.*
The Education domain uses the IP range: 10.100.*.*
Now, we want to put the DNS on the Education domain because users in the Education domain will be accessing it.  Our DHCP client starts allocating IP addresses from 10.100.0.120 upwards.  So we used one of our spare static addresses that cannot be accidentally assigned to another machine for safety so we gave it the static IP of 10.100.0.39

I say all this to show what domain the DNS is attached to.  By simply clicking the "next" button on the actual box it displays an IP of 10.100.0.39 so I know it is on the Education domain.
So back in the web configuration utility I enter "Education.Microsoft.com" (minus quotation marks) in the Realm Name field.  Then in the Workgroup field I put in "Education" (minus quotation marks).
If the DNS was on the Microsoft domain (Microsoft.com) it would have an IP of 10.200.0.39 and then I would enter the following:  Realm Name: Microsoft.com
Workgroup: Microsoft

I know I dribbled on a bit there but I wanted to fully explain it in case there was any slight confusion or if anyone else might do who reads this thread.

jno

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 12:09:18 AM »

Oh and I changed my Host Name from NAS_Media to NASMedia.  So I recommend not using spaces, special characters or numbers if you can.  They may all be fine but just for insurance, don't.

ascendnet

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 12:31:11 PM »

Thanks for getting back to me. The environment this is in is much smaller then yours. Our FQDN is stonebrookcompany.com and the netbios domain name is stonebrook. Also the FQDN internally really does end in .com, I know not best practice but I didn't set it up. :-)

So I have always had the realm set to stonebrookcompany.com and the workgroup set to stonebrook, which used to work. I also previously had the dlink named sbcsvr-nas without issue. For the sake of getting this back up and running I have been using sbcsvrnas, no special characters.

Also you configured yours with domain.company.com but in my environment I would think this should just be stonebrookcompany.com. If I am not understanding something here please let me know. We also only have one IP range in the 192.168.0.x range so there should be no problems reaching the DC/DNS server.

All this being said any other ideas?

jno

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »

Hmm.. it is a bit worrying that it still doesn't work.

So your details are like this?

Password: *********
DNS: 192.168.0.5   (or whatever it is)
Host Name: sbcsvrnas
Workgroup: stonebrook
Realm Name: stonebrookcompany.com
AD server name: sbcsvrdc   (or whatever it is)

If so and it isn't working then try this:

Workgroup: stonebrookcompany
Realm Name: stonebrookcompany.com

or this:

Workgroup: stonebrook
Realm Name: stonebrook.company.com

(first change was workgroup, next was Realm Name)

And if it makes any difference at all, I did mine through the device tab, under setup - not in the wizard.

That's all I can think of for the time being so get back to me when you have results.

ascendnet

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 09:56:36 AM »

Well I was able to get it connected with the original settings again. Final configuration was to use either 1.04 or 1.05 along with ADS 1.0. After this was installed I had to perform a Restore to Factory Default Settings on the Maintenance tab. After the settings restore i reconfigured everything again (never used the wizard), and it worked. I could not get the 1.01 ADS version to work at all.

I may at some point put ADS 1.01 back and and try your suggestions for how to format the workgroup and realm name. But I never used the settings that way in the past and wouldn't it would be that way.

Thanks for the help and I hope this thread helps someone else.
Pages: [1] 2