• April 19, 2024, 03:10:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: DIR-826L FW v1.04NA Official Release  (Read 81303 times)

WScarlet

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-826L FW v1.04NA Official Release - DO NOT USE!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 10:37:11 PM »

England, Birmingham

Will do!

OC-Carl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 11:00:34 PM »

Wow what a headline "... Official Release - DO NOT USE".  I am confused!

If we are NOT to use this "official release," why is it available for download and install?  I mean, will it brick my router or what?

I did download and install it before I saw your dire warning not to!  Compared to other home routers I have used, the DIR826L fw is very fragile.  While configuring user access for "Storage", somehow it was duplicating entries when I did a "Save Settings".  Also, I could not seem to get a user to have Read/Write access even though it was listed as such.  When I used the SharePort web page I got denied even trying to read!

So, I used Tools to reset back to factory settings and started my configuration all over again for the third time, this time starting with "Storage".  I think it might have something to do with the fact the the Admin Login would expire even though I was setting settings frequently.

Throughput speed for me at 5 GHZ is same as wired: ~30 Mbps (the speed of my internet connection)!  When it comes to poor wireless performance you've got to know your environment.  I got the DIR826L just for the 5GHZ because my computer wireless scanner app picks up eleven 2.4 GHZ radios: 3 of which are on channel 1, 4 are on 6 and 4 are on 11.  If you know wireless bandwidth, you know the problem.  At times, I was barely getting 3 Mbps throughput apparently caused by all the interference.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 11:11:10 PM »

I'd down grade to v1.02. I found the 5Ghz was not working correctly and have reported it. Other issues may be seen.

Factory reset, downgrade to v1.02 and then factory reset once more. Configure from scratch.
v1.02 seems to be the most stable for the NA region at this time. D-Link is reviewing the issues.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

dwar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 12:19:48 AM »

I bought a DIR-826L and was able the make a correct setup with a 5GHz bridge to my mediaplayer
After finishing the setup i installed the 1.04 firmware and was not able to connect anymore. I found out the 5GHz signal strength dropped, and finally i found this forum tread.

To get back to 1.02 i did:
  • Backup configuration
  • Factory reset
  • Downgrade to 1.02
  • Factory reset
  • Restore configuration
But, I think the signal strength is still not the same as before.  My 5 GHz bridge is not able to connect and with my phone i'm not able to connect on places where i was able to connect before the update debacle.

What can i do to get back the original performance?

About the update policy:
To avoid security issues and problems of outdated firmware i always install the latest available firmware of new products. But is seem not valid for D-Link. For me (at least) the 5GHz is the selling point of this router. I suggest to remove the 1.03 and 1.04 firmware from the download page since the it is suggested to not upgrade to them.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 07:08:14 AM »

I would Factory Reset, reload v1.02, Factory reset once more, then set up from scratch. Do not load the saved configuration file.

About your update policy, please review:
FW Update Process

I bought a DIR-826L and was able the make a correct setup with a 5GHz bridge to my mediaplayer
After finishing the setup i installed the 1.04 firmware and was not able to connect anymore. I found out the 5GHz signal strength dropped, and finally i found this forum tread.

To get back to 1.02 i did:
  • Backup configuration
  • Factory reset
  • Downgrade to 1.02
  • Factory reset
  • Restore configuration
But, I think the signal strength is still not the same as before.  My 5 GHz bridge is not able to connect and with my phone i'm not able to connect on places where i was able to connect before the update debacle.

What can i do to get back the original performance?

About the update policy:
To avoid security issues and problems of outdated firmware i always install the latest available firmware of new products. But is seem not valid for D-Link. For me (at least) the 5GHz is the selling point of this router. I suggest to remove the 1.03 and 1.04 firmware from the download page since the it is suggested to not upgrade to them.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

dwar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 02:43:26 AM »

Tried, no luck.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 07:18:47 AM »

So what was the result after you downgraded? I know when I down graded on mine it worked well. However talking to DLink about my 826L and it not working well with v1.03 and v1.04, they wanted to review it so its waiting to be returned once the replacement arrives, I think today. I would recommend that you phone contact D-Link support and talk to them about this, ask for level 2 or higher and even mention this. D-Link mentioned that there could be some units out there that are faulty.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Tried, no luck.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-826L FW v1.04NA Un-official Release
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »

Working with D-Link, they presume that there is an issue HW wise with my 826L and have requested a return of it. I'm waiting for the replacement which should be in today. They say that the problems I saw, they can't seem to reproduce so this could be a isolated HW issue and not FW related. I'm taking off the DO NOT USE status for v1.03 and v1.04 and recommend that if your router is working with all version of FW, then you should be good to go.

If any one is experiencing any similar issues using v1.03 or v1.04 and v1.02 doesn't see any problems, I recommend that you phone contact D-Link support and get your unit into RMA. All version of FW should work well on the router.

I'll upstate my experiences with my new 826L soon.

I loaded v1.04 on my 826L and after doing a Factory Reset after sending the FW file and setting up basic WiFi, 5Ghz Single mode N or default mode with WPA and or WPA2, mixed security, or WPA2 and AES only, my Mac Book Pro fails to connect on 5Ghz, A "connection timeout" message is seen. If i turn WIFi security OFF. Then it will connect. Tested OSX 10.7 and 10.8.

If someone else can verify this as well. I'll test Windows with a DWA-160 tomorrow.

2.4Ghz and security is working and connecting at the correct speed for my Mac.

I"ll not recommend anyone use v1.04 for general use. Still seems broke.  :-\

igmrlm

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-826L FW v1.04NA Un-official Release
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 12:38:40 AM »

Working with D-Link, they presume that there is an issue HW wise with my 826L and have requested a return of it. I'm waiting for the replacement which should be in today. They say that the problems I saw, they can't seem to reproduce so this could be a isolated HW issue and not FW related. I'm taking off the DO NOT USE status for v1.03 and v1.04 and recommend that if your router is working with all version of FW, then you should be good to go.

If any one is experiencing any similar issues using v1.03 or v1.04 and v1.02 doesn't see any problems, I recommend that you phone contact D-Link support and get your unit into RMA. All version of FW should work well on the router.

I'll upstate my experiences with my new 826L soon.

Any update on this?

I just purchased this router a few days ago, (north america, ontario canada, walmart) the only reason I bought this one was for the 5.8 ghz band, as there are 7+ 2.4 ghz wifi networks in range of my house, plus 6-7 2.4 ghz clients on my network alone.

I just upgraded to 1.04 to fix the UPNP remote exploit discovered by rapid7 earlier this year, as well as update the DLNA streaming options, and try to make my friend's ps3 work better with port forwarding.

Of course I didn't see this page ahead of time and proceeded to render the 5.8 ghz transmitter completely useless.

So now I'm about to try downgrading it to 1.02 but who wants to knowingly revert to exploitable software?

I might as well be using WEP or WPS.. ffs..

Definitely would not have purchased this router if I was aware of these issues.  ??? >:(

(yawn-5ghz)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-826L FW v1.04NA Official Release
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 07:07:58 AM »

Link>
Welcome!
  • What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

• Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates?
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
  • Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Any cordless house phones?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistance and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

I personally haven't had any issues with my router. Only on v1.03 was 5Ghz an issue and that was corrected with v1.04. This is a very good little router and works well for me. Range is very nice on both radios, better on 5Ghz.

If your not satisfied with the product then please return it and find something that works for you.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:12:24 AM by FurryNutz »

igmrlm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 08:36:10 AM »

Link>
Welcome!
  • What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

• Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates?
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
  • Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Any cordless house phones?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistance and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

I personally haven't had any issues with my router. Only on v1.03 was 5Ghz an issue and that was corrected with v1.04. This is a very good little router and works well for me. Range is very nice on both radios, better on 5Ghz.

If your not satisfied with the product then please return it and find something that works for you.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply :) Sorry for the frustration earlier, been too long since I had my nicotine  :-[

Hardware version is A1

Firmware version is 1.02, I tried the 1.04 version yesterday and it worked fine except that the signal from the 5 ghz band was very choppy and would not accept connections, the problem seemed to match exactly what other people were describing with 1.03 The photo i posted has the signal graph showing -59 dBi steady whenever the signal was up, but it would stop broadcasting and restart repeatedly.

I am in Cornwall ontario canada, so NA region.

No.... I didn't do the factory reset.. should have I guess

Router worked perfect before upgrade, works perfect after downgrading, except for UPNP that only worked on 1.04

ISP is CIK telecom 20/2 megabit DOCSIS 3 cable

Modem is a Thompson DCM478

Wired:

I have no issues with wired connections.. the only wired connections are DHCP static assigned by MAC
Ipv6 is disabled, isp doesn't support it, so i didn't bother upgrading the local network.
UPNP and multicast ipv4+ipv6 are enabled
This is probably the first router i've used that qos seemed to work actually quite nicely.

Wireless:

Channel modes for both bands are 20/40 auto, 6 clients on 2.4, 1 client on 5.8

WPS is of course disabled
Security is WPA2 AES only

Cordless house phone is 2.4 ghz, all neighbors are 2.4 ghz, and all 6 local clients are on 2.4 ghz and are connecting without any issue whatsoever, on both 1.02 and  1.04, except for my pc that is connecting (right now) at 5.8 without any issue on 1.02. After upgrading to 1.04 i was unable to connect at all at 5.8 and had to connect with my pc at 2.4

I can try upgrading to 1.04 again and doing the hard reset i suppose.. I loaded config.bin after flashing both times, I haven't done a factory reset since I bought it..[/list][/list][/list]

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 08:39:12 AM »

Please follow this for doing any FW updates:
FW Update Process

Don't load the saved config file this time and just do a factory reset before and after the FW file process then set up from scratch.

Keep us posted.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 09:27:25 AM »

Any status on this from anyone?  ???

igmrlm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 03:12:06 AM »

Any status on this from anyone?  ???

I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've been ridiculously busy with work and such and have not had a chance to experiment more with the router. I downgraded to the previous version, the one it shipped with and it's been working fine so far.

When I get more time I will test the new firmware again with a full reset.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 07:14:14 AM »

Let us know how it goes. I have loaded this on mine and it's working for me.  ;)

I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've been ridiculously busy with work and such and have not had a chance to experiment more with the router. I downgraded to the previous version, the one it shipped with and it's been working fine so far.

When I get more time I will test the new firmware again with a full reset.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7