• April 15, 2024, 10:31:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Still no MKV stream after 1.08 firmware update  (Read 15418 times)

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
Still no MKV stream after 1.08 firmware update
« on: August 26, 2010, 02:27:51 AM »

Hello everybody,

I've just upgraded my dns-323's firmware to version 1.08. I own a Samsung UE46C7000 led tv. MKV files are *now* listed (they were not with 1.07 firmware) in the tv's media player but I get a "bad file" or "format not supported" error when I try to play. The tv does plays the same MKV files from USB stick/disk.

Any ideas?

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
Re: Still no MKV stream after 1.08 firmware update
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:28:01 AM »

How is the TV picking up the files? UPnP? Are you able to connect to the NAS by browsing the shares/SMB?
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:07:29 PM »

Yes, UPnP. The TV supports DLNA and has a media player that recognizes the NAS and browses the folders and files it shares.

logicbytes

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »

I ave the 55 inch version of that Samsung TV and experienced the sam thing, it would play off of USB but not over the network from my DNS32 and would give me the format not supported error. I renamed the .mkv extensions to .mp4 and now all of my .mkv files play over the network. Give it a try and see if it works for you too.

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 03:42:59 AM »

I ave the 55 inch version of that Samsung TV and experienced the sam thing, it would play off of USB but not over the network from my DNS32 and would give me the format not supported error. I renamed the .mkv extensions to .mp4 and now all of my .mkv files play over the network. Give it a try and see if it works for you too.

O M G ! It worked! Thank you so very much. You are the one, you are the man!  :)

(subtitle .srt files are not supported, too?)

Castor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 02:55:16 AM »

I have a simular problem using my ps3 on the receiver site. The DNS-323 does a good job making the file visible on the ps3 but when i try to play the .mkv fle i receive the error that the data/format is not supported. I must add that playing .AVI files in the same way on my ps3 doesn't give any problems and plays very well.

I'm well aware that ps3 itself does not support mkv files. Before i bought the DSN-323 i was using ps3media server to stream my .mkv files to the ps3 and with no problems. I was kind of hoping the DSN-323 would do the same....
I have googled this problem more then once and some people install something called twonkeymedia server on there DNS-323

Does anyone experience the same problem and do you have any tips for me?  

DNS-323 is running on firmware 1.08 and its H/W version C1
PS3 is running on firmware 3.41

logicbytes

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:13:11 AM »

Why don't you try the sMe thing change the .mkv extension and see if that works on the pS3. I think MKV's are just a wrapper.

logicbytes

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:14:05 AM »

O M G ! It worked! Thank you so very much. You are the one, you are the man!  :)

(subtitle .srt files are not supported, too?)

Glad it worked for you too  :)

Castor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 10:41:34 AM »

Why don't you try the sMe thing change the .mkv extension and see if that works on the pS3. I think MKV's are just a wrapper.

I forgot to mention it in my original post that i tried it but with no luck. Thanks anyway.
Was hoping the dns 323 would transcode to a understandable language for the ps3 but probably the nas isn't that powerfull enough.

Jester5000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »

btw, don't forget to "refresh" your uPnP AV server on the DNS-323 before trying to play the new .mp4 file.  Until you do the refresh, it will still present it as .mkv to your device (TV, BD player, etc). 

ok, as an edit, most .mkv files will play, but some won't, and some don't have audio, especially if the audio is a separate file... :(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:30:55 PM by Jester5000 »

47th_ronin

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »

just to spoil things further: if you have used mkv2vob to make some .mkv file 'edible' for ps3 and that file had dts sound you will get static noise when you try to play resulting file on wdtv live.

Jester5000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »

it was a simple .mkv rename to .mp4
I'll make sure I don't use the other tool :)

madal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 12:05:32 PM »

DNS-323 mkv. support seems to be buggy, I sure hope they address this in the next firmware update. When I click to open an MKV the DNS-323 hangs for 30sec-1min, The network/processor  LED on the 323 blinks during hang. Then hard-drive LEDs start blinking once playback starts (playback over network). Playback is smooth and seamless once it starts.

There isn't anything very complicated about my network, gigabit router and windows machines. It appears as if the DNS-323 has troubles serving up the MKV-files

Jester5000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »

??  What version of firmware or Linux kernal do you have?? Why can your 323 stream mkv files and no one else? (that is, using the built in uPnP AV Media Server)...

"Not Supported File Format" is the error message I get after a few seconds, and I believe everyone else too.

madal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »

I am using firmware 1.09
Dlink said that they added MKV support in version 1.08 , and it seems to work, but not very well.

Like I said my network is not too complicated, just Windows XP machines.
Pages: [1] 2