• April 23, 2024, 06:23:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't see DNS-323 on one xbox, can see on another xbox  (Read 5027 times)

ima420r

• Level 1 Member
Can't see DNS-323 on one xbox, can see on another xbox
« on: August 14, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »

I finally got my wired xbox elite to see the dns and the files on it. It works just fine. The problem is I have another xbox, one of the new models with built in wifi (which is how it is connected to the network). It connects to the internet, even sees my PC, but it can't see the dns.

Anyone know what I can do to get the wireless xbox to see the network drive and the media that is on it?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Can't see DNS-323 on one xbox, can see on another xbox
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »

Describe your network - do you have a wireless router (one? two?) a wireless access point?  How are things connected together?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Newbie06

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:08:09 PM »

Do you have any other device (laptop, computer, media player) which accesses the DNS wirelessly?  If so, can it see the DNS? 

It sounds like it may be a wireless issue...

ima420r

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:44:34 PM »

I have a dlink 825 wireless router (just 1), and all my wireless devices work just fine, they are connected via the 2.4ghz band. Even the xbox that connects wirelessly works online fine it just doesn't see the network drive.

I have one PC that is connected wirelessly and one that is wired. Both see the dns-323 as VOLUME_1 and VOLUME_2 (I have 2 drives) and I can access everything regardless of wireless or not.

Also, I physically plugged the xbox into the router and it still doesn't see the drive. So it doesn't appear to be a wireless issue, perhaps an xbox settings issue.

All help and suggestions are appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:57:44 PM by ima420r »

47th_ronin

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »

maybe there is ip address conflict? or typo in subnet mask or gateway address? or missing gateway address?

nightshocker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »

on the dns-323

go to advance
then UPnP AV SERVER
select enable and choose the path to show.
(it makes a "cache" file of the path that you choose, so if you choose the hole drive it will take a very long time depending on how big the drive is) (also any change that you do in that folder it has to refresh)

suggestion do not do the hole drive. i made a media folder and only made that be the path.

let me know how that goes or any questions. (im saying this because that is how i got it to work.)

ima420r

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »

Looks like the ip addresses are fine, everything seems to have it's own unique ip address.

I already have a directory set up with just a few various files in it which is set as the default shared directory in the UPnP settings. That is how I got the wired xbox to see it, had to have fewer files so the drive could refresh properly.

Once I get the wireless xbox to see the drive I will be adding more files to the shared directory. Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many files I have in shared directory before the drive has issues?

Newbie06

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »

Very odd...you might want to contact Microsoft about the issue since one XBOX can see the DNS-323 drives and the other cannot.  It definitely sounds like a console issue.

Have you double checked the settings between the two consoles to see they are exactly the same?  Maybe there is one setting difference.  I'm assuming both XBOX's are up to date.

As far as the limitation of files on the UPnP AV Server I have over 50,000 files and my XBOX can recognize them all just fine.  Keep in mind this is a wired connection between the XBOX, router, and DNS-323.