• March 28, 2024, 11:04:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Windows Vista Ultimate Issues  (Read 7114 times)

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
Windows Vista Ultimate Issues
« on: September 25, 2008, 09:54:59 AM »

I am having a repeatable problem with the DSM-520 and Windows Vista Ultimate.  Every 15 to 20 Minutes I get the message that the DSM-520 has become disconnected  with the server.  This happens if I use the DLink Media Server software (Ver 1.10) or Windows Media Player 11.  I have also upgraded the firmware in the DSM-520 to 1.06.01.  As a secondary note, I have also noticed that if I watch the available servers screen, every 30 seconds the screen shows "no servers available" for about 2 seconds and then the server list is refreshed and appears normal.
  Has anyone had these issues and found a work around?

Additional Info:
Linksys wireless g
DSM-520 set for static IP
Windows firewall turned off or on. (No Difference)
McAffee firewall turned on with DSM-520 address set to pass
McAffee firewall turned off
All music is MP3 with MU3 playlists
These files played all day long on an old XP laptop. (It finally died)

thanks

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 02:12:49 PM »

Try enabling your McAfee software and make sure it is properly configured. Disable this type of software rarely works properly and there are always some services running. There should be no issue with Vista Ultimate I use it and it works great. Also you may want to try a wired connect and see if you have the same issue.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 11:44:28 PM »

I have set up McAffee to trust the static IP address of the DSM-520.  No change in symptoms.
I found another thread that had good results setting the service "SSDP Discover" to automatic.  Rebooted the machine and tested.  No change in symptoms.
  I'm sure it is a setup problem with the Vista machine, but don't have a clue where to look.

Help!!!!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:19:41 AM »

Are you wireless at all on your network?

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 01:14:46 PM »

Much to my wife's irk, I strung Cat 5 all over the house and made the whole house a wired network.  I have seen no change in the operation of the unit.  It will play songs or display photo's perfectly for about 20 minutes and then gives the message "You have become disconnectedfrom the default media server".  After seeing this response 3 times, I returned the system to a wireless configuration and tested 3 more times.  Same response.

Thanks

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:28:49 AM »

Try disabling your power management on your PC and see if the issue goes away you will then know the problem if it does.

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »

I have set the power settings to Maximum Power User.  Retested 3 times with no change in symtoms.

Thanks

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 10:58:22 AM »

It leads me to believe it has something to do with the McAffee software on this PC, however I do not have any details to support configuration of this software. I would recommend contacting support for McAffee. Do you have another PC to try from at home as well to see if you have the same issue?

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 10:52:09 AM »

I had an old Dell laptop running windows 2000 in the system.  It was used exclusively as the music interface with the DSM-520.  Using that machine I could play music all day long with no problems.  However, that machine failed so I transfered all of the music to the new vista machine.

THanks