• April 19, 2024, 06:58:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Unable to connect with VPN  (Read 4242 times)

Zapotah

• Level 1 Member
Unable to connect with VPN
« on: March 28, 2010, 11:10:47 AM »

It seems that there is some bug with the router or some configuration error that i cant get my head around since every time i try to connect to my home "server" (as in serving as a media server and a vpn server by means of win7 incoming connections setup) with a vpn connection it clearly connects but gets stuck at the verifying user name and password stage and wont create the vpn tunnel.

I verified the cause of this error to be the router since when connecting the server directly to the public ethernet port and setting up a public ip address to the network interface without the dir-855 being in the middle the connection worked like a charm. The only problem with this being is that the whole purpose of my vpn is supposed to give me access to my home network from anywhere and this has been bugging me for weeks. I've tried everything from modifying the firewall settings to setting the virtual server settings for GRE passthrough and im finally running out of options and more and more convinced that the problem lies within the device and its firmware itself.

Im currently running the 1.21EUb01 FW and hw version A2
Is there a new fw version in the works and when is it estimated to be published?

Hopefully posting here will shed some light as to how i should proceed with this problem.

blenchi

• Level 1 Member
Re: Unable to connect with VPN
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:51:46 AM »

Hi,

that's the reason why I downgraded to 1.12EU.  Problems with the VPN.  Not just on Windows 7, but also on my Windows XP machine that needed to connect to VPN of the company.  I experienced problems with the DNS.  Could connect, but was not able to use one server or service.  After downgrade to firmware 1.12 everything was stable again.  The Windows 7 too.

Zapotah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 09:36:46 AM »

Hi. thanks for the info. The next operation that i was going to do this easter was exactly to downgrade the fw. Currently i downgraded to 1.12wwb19 and i was wondering if that one is the most recent of the ww fws? The second is that is the 1.12eub11 the last eu fw build before the 1.21eub01?

wouldnt be a problem otherwise but the dlink ftp servers are _horribly_ organized and every single one of them has a different layout and different contents and the forementioned fws were the ones i found poking around in about a dozen of the different countries servers.

I _TRULY_ hope dlink gets their stuff together with the outside NA firmwares since the product itself is excellent but the software currently has some horrendous bugs. Hopefully the servers will get better organized and the support more centralized at some point to make it possible for the average user to even be able to find the needed information for a similar kind of a problem.

If anyone could verify that those are indeed the last fws and possibly link to one of the ftp servers that actually have those fws (i dld from the ftp.dlink.se server and the 1.12wwb19 rar probably was actually NOT the b19 version!) before the 1.21 version, i'd be very grateful!

Zapotah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:36:55 PM »

Seems like the problem lies with the dhcp server in the router. If there is a lan side vpn server and you set it to get an address from the routers dhcp server it simply locks up since the router doesnt seem to understand multiple ip addresses to a single mac address if you reserve an ip address for the server itself. Hope it will be fixed so that the same mac address can fetch multiple addresses even if it is reserved on the network already.