• March 29, 2024, 04:36:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-930L and Synology NAS products  (Read 17174 times)

TD99

• Level 2 Member
DCS-930L and Synology NAS products
« on: August 09, 2011, 09:57:26 AM »

As mentioned in other threads, I currently own 6 DCS-930L cameras. I'm in the market for a new NAS and have been looking at the Synology DiskStation DS211.

http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS211/index.php

All of the Synology models use the same DSM (DiskStation Manager) operating system and it's pretty slick (there is a live interactive demo on their site). What really captures my attention is the Surveillance Station module and it's features:

http://www.synology.com/us/products/features/live_view.php

Seems like the way to go in terms of capturing actual VIDEO clips and not just static images (without having to resort to running the D-Link D-View software on a PC running 24/7).

However, two things are currently show stoppers:

1. The DCS-930L isn't shown on their list of supported cameras (yet), and is currently listed as "incompatible" with the current DSM 3.1 software according to their user-reported list.

2. All Synology products include just one license allowing you to only connect one camera. Each additional camera requires it's own license, at $50 apiece! So adding 5 more cams would cost me a very unreasonable $250!

That said, the Synology products do host quite an impressive list of features. And DSM 3.2 is currently in Beta. If the next release supports the DCS-930L and if I can find additional camera licenses at a more reasonable price, this could very well become one very nice surveillance solution.

Until then, who knows?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DCS-930L and Synology NAS products
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:21:17 AM »

As mentioned in other threads, I currently own 6 DCS-930L cameras. I'm in the market for a new NAS and have been looking at the Synology DiskStation DS211. . .

As an active member of the D-Link DNS-XXX series boards in this forum, I can say that all of the Synology discussions I've read in this forum hold the company and products in high regard for performance and reliability at a relatively low price. That said, there are a number of former DNS-XXX owners who made  the jump to Synology.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

TD99

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:13:37 AM »

As an active member of the D-Link DNS-XXX series boards in this forum, I can say that all of the Synology discussions I've read in this forum hold the company and products in high regard for performance and reliability at a relatively low price. That said, there are a number of former DNS-XXX owners who made  the jump to Synology.

Very good to hear. Thanks for the insight. One of my buddies here at the office just pulled the trigger and bought a Synology 4-disk NAS system and just moments ago was telling me how awesome it was. He's not using it for surveillance, however. Either way, I'm probably going to get the DS211 in the near future. I just wish Synology didn't charge such a premium for each camera license. $50 is pretty steep -- especially when you consider that I paid $59.99 for the camera itself.  :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:23:30 AM by TD99 »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:18:21 AM »

I can't speak to the surveillance/camera support for the Synology line, as the threads I've encountered were all Synology vs. DNS apples-to-apples comparisons for RAID, web interface, backup, supported HDDs, etc.

m124

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 06:40:21 PM »

"Seems like the way to go in terms of capturing actual VIDEO clips and not just static images (without having to resort to running the D-Link D-View software on a PC running 24/7)."

Please forgive me for being a newbie, but without Synology and D-View, how do you store static images on a NAS? Thank you in advance.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 04:40:30 AM »

...without Synology and D-View, how do you store static images on a NAS? Thank you in advance.

Log into the DCS-930L web interface and navigate to: SETUP -> FTP -> TIME SCHEDULE
From here you can schedule images to transfer to a NAS. For this solution to work, you must first configure your NAS as an FTP server.