• April 16, 2024, 07:07:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: odd behavior - server? or router? or camera(s) ?  (Read 12535 times)

acellier

• Level 4 Member
odd behavior - server? or router? or camera(s) ?
« on: June 27, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »

My two separate IP cameras (a 930 and a 932) use ftp to store jpgs at my web site based upon motion detection. I use a php script to review images from a chosen day and half-hour interval.
Typically a jpg is about 45 kB; anywhere from none to about 300 may be stored in each half-hour folder, within a given day's folders. These half-hour interval parameters are set in the cameras.
    Today on several occasions (maybe yesterday also) the site has stored several 0 byte ".jpg" files, from BOTH cameras, which brings my php script to a halt.
    Also today, both cameras (at about the same time) deposited a timestamped folder INSIDE a timestamped folder where the jpgs normally go, which is not the proper behavior.
   What would you guess - something weird going on with the servers, or my router, or simultaneously in the 2 cameras ?

acellier

• Level 4 Member
Re: odd behavior - server? or router? or camera(s) ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »

Occasional zero-byte, and partial, file transfers continue on the 930 (932 is out of service after bad firmware update).
     I've modified my php image viewing script to convert the zero-byte jpgs to txt, so the script won't hang.
Also have experienced (rarer) yeardate folder sent *into* a yeardate folder, where only (halfhour) time folders should go, and very occasional incomplete photos - top of image only, terminated after substantial progress.
    Had Cox Cable come out, they applied their universal solution - replaced connectors, added an attenuator pad in the line.
    It seems to still be happening.
    Seems that these cameras don't tend to do an ack handshake ? Certainly they don't sense a failed upload and try again.
     Any ftp-knowledgable folks out there that can cast a light ?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:46:17 PM by acellier »

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:00:51 AM »

Over the past 7 days we have had about 75 + zero-size jpg files and 4 or 5 partial pictures.
    The DCS-930L is only set to "5" fps, jpeq quality "very high", "Java". And the iPodTouch app only does a single camera at a time, whereas I had seen errors on both the 930 and 932 ...
    I have a thought - in recent days I have been leaving an old iPodTouch running on MyDlink app, as a monitor of our driveway ... perhaps MyDlink prempts the ftp sequence ...
    We are going to turn off any and all MyDlink monitors, and see if the zero-byte files stop ...

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »

They did not stop - got another 21 in a 3-hour period while we were off doing non-computer things.
Very puzzling.

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »

A new hypothesis - the "Smart Meter" installed by SCE in November - apparently may transmit at 2400 MHz (WiFi band) - SCE perhaps testing their "Wireless in-home networking" capabilities?

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »

No, not the smart meter - we moved the 930 to the other side of the house, still happens. Put it on Ethernet, wireless disabled - still happens. Very frustrating.

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »

more followup - we set the 930 to ftp into the router's USB memory, on a public port - so signal doesn't go thru internet - no errors, either wired or wireless.
    Over the past 3 weeks, we've gotten several hundred zero-byte files; the coup de grace was the server locking me out for a faulty login by the camera, in the middle of the night.
    We are concluding that Cox Cable is the culprit, as we have recorded cable modem downstream signal-to-noise ratio falling downward at unpredictable times, coupled with run-up of error counts. Techs out twice, new connectors and filter but the issue remains - even our typical signal is a bit below DOCSIS standards. Naturally, there is no available competitor for high speed internet.
    I think the cameras share fault in not being robust ftp sources; tests from the computer using Fetch have all been clean.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 06:37:17 PM by acellier »

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 03:52:14 PM »

follow-up - almost certainly Cox Cable - since replacement of the video bandstop filter 2 weeks back, there have been no zero-byte files at all. This despite often marginal signal-to-noise ratios.