• March 30, 2024, 12:53:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How Set Up FTP or HTTP Server through DIR 655  (Read 10045 times)

silvanet

• Level 1 Member
How Set Up FTP or HTTP Server through DIR 655
« on: December 30, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »

I'm trying to set up a simple FTP file server, but I don't know what I have to do in the D-Link like port forwarding or whatever so that someone with username and password can get a file I serve to them. I guess I need to establish some sort of "tunnel" to be able to allow the server to receive connection information and send the file. Any help please?

Cobra

• Level 4 Member
Re: How Set Up FTP or HTTP Server through DIR 655
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:07:50 PM »

What software you using?

A good free FTP server software is Fillazilla server.

silvanet

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 03:46:09 PM »

Well, initially I tried to use hfs. I had used it before and it seemed extremely simple and easy. In cases where I had to send somebody a file that was too large to send via email I would put it in a folder and serve it via hfs. The receiver just had to type my IP address in their browser and they could get the file. It lets you set up login password and set a folder for downloads. But, now my computer is in a network where it gets its IP from the D-Link router. For some reason, the computer outside my network, when the receiver types in the IP address, can't connect to my server. I installed Filezilla server. It seemed to go alright, but the same thing happens when my receiver tries to log in with the Filezilla client. I think I have to set something in the router to allow an external computer to reach into one of the computers inside my network. I don't know. Does that sound right?

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 06:55:48 PM »

Yes you have to set up port forwarding in your router.
. First you have to set up your computer that serves files to have a static IP by using the "Add DHCP Reservation" form here http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dir655/132NA/Basic_Network.html.
. Then you can use this guide to set up port forward http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DIR-655/HTTP.htm with "IP Address" as the IP that you reserved in previous step. You should be able to access your server then from outside.
. (Optional) In case your ISP assign you dynamic IP, you should use a service like DynDNS to setup a hostname so ppl can get to your server using the hostname. It's more convenient like that. Relevant links: http://www.dyndns.com/ and setup in your router http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dir655/132NA/Dynamic_DNS.html

Anyway, my set up is like this and hfs works fine here.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:56:09 PM by bigeyes0x0 »

Cobra

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »

Hmm...too much work.

I just enabled FTP in virtual server and input the ports I wanted.

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 09:53:42 PM »

So you runs your ftp on non-standard ports? And your FTP server does not run on a static IP? Please refrain from misleading answer. I think the OP is rather new to what a router is that's why I provided as much information as I could.

Cobra

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:15:58 PM »

Don't tell me what to do noob to networking.

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »

Ok, sorry about that, my original answer didn't mean for you, too. BTW.