• March 28, 2024, 09:25:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: File permissions set to root (unix user\root) and it won't change back  (Read 18495 times)

Achilles2

• Level 1 Member

I somehow managed to get some of the files on my dns 323 set to have the owner as root (unix user\root). I can't delete them, or change ownership, or move them. I've looked at the advanced settings for change ownership but I just get access denied. I think the problem started because I cancelled a scheduled backup that it has been running (it was performing an incremental backup from Volume_1 to Volume_2).

A bit about the system: dns 323, no raid, 2x2tb wd green drives, my computer is win7 64bit if it matters.

I tried loading a virtual linux machine (fedora to be specific) because I know I can change permissions in that.. but it wouldn't let me access my windows network to even see the d-link. I don't really want to take out the drive and put it in a computer because I feel like I could easily lose other data on the drive.

Any ideas?

Achilles2

• Level 1 Member
Re: File permissions set to root (unix user\root) and it won't change back
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »

Another odd thing popped up, apparently I am not longer in control of my unit. I cleared everything from the smb list (all 2 items to start with) and then tried restarting my device. When it rebooted they were still there even though they were gone before I restarted. Both items were just allowing everyone full access to Volume_1 and Volume_2.

Not sure if this means much in relation to my original problem.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:38:54 AM »

Have you tried to access the NAS from a computer booted from a live linux CD?

As a last resort you could format the drive and restore from backup.

Achilles2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »

No luck with booting from the cd.. I get the same problem when trying to access the network.

I think I might try plugging the actual hard drive into a machine here and load linux from that machine to delete the files off the hard drive. I don't think that should cause any problems but if anyone has tried it would be nice to know before doing so.

And unfortunately it looks like both hard drive have some files stuck on them this way. This seems like a pretty buggy way of doing things. The more weird bugs I get like this with my d-link the more I think I won't be going with them again next time.

jhtopping

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »

Have you tried to access the volumes with the drives in the DNS-323 using FTP?  The user would need R/W permissions and access to the root folder.

Achilles2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:06:52 PM »

Good idea but I didn't get it to work. I haven't done much with ftp but I know that I was connected and could view the specific files I wanted to delete. When I went to delete it I got a "permission denied" error. I guess I'm going to have to do this the hard way.

I was going to try connecting to the ftp as root to make it think I had permission but dlink won't let me create a user named root :(

Achilles2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 04:28:41 PM »

Well, odd solution in the end. Volume_1 (where I originally had the problem) got put in computer and I booted into linux and deleted the files with no problems. Tried the same with Volume_2 and linux gave me permission issues.
So, final solution I think I'll wipe volume_2 clean and copy volume_1 onto it and I should finally be back where I started.

Moral of the story: for me: don't cancel schedules backups while they're going. for d-link: make software that doesn't easily leave you with permanent files.

jhtopping

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »

Glad you are making progress.  You did not mention the software you were using to create the incremental but there have to be temporary files created during the process.  Might I suggest that you see if there is a log file created during the backup so you can monitor the process before you issue the abort  command.  I usually found out about how to monitor a process after I cleaned up from a big mess. 

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 03:43:08 AM »

You could write a simple fun_plug script to reset permissions recursively on a specified path if it happens again.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

Achilles2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 03:20:56 PM »

The software I was using was the built in d-link software.. if you go to your devices login page and go to "Applications" you can manage backups here. I wouldn't be bothered if some third party software had caused this because then I could only blame myself, but this seems like a serious issue on d-link's part.

Anyway, I looked at fun_plug a little but it looked a bit too complicated for the time I wanted to put into fixing this so I just reformatted the other drive and everything is copying over now.

Thanks to anyone who helped!

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 06:42:59 PM »

You wouldn't need all of the FFP package. Just a simple script to reset permissions.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

Achilles2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 09:25:59 AM »

Well, one last problem in all of this. I was looking at both drives (which now have only all the data they're supposed to, no locked files) and for some reason one has ~400GB used more than the other. I've checked the file size of all the main folders and there's no difference that windows is telling me. There is a folder in the drive that's missing the free space called .Trash500 but it says it's taking up 0bytes, this folder isn't in the other drive.

Anybody know where the 400GB could have gone? I might end up reformatting this drive too 'cause 400GB is kind of a lot to just have sitting in a black hole.