• March 28, 2024, 05:43:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Antenna?  (Read 32377 times)

gotapex

• Level 1 Member
Re: Antenna?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »

Ulises:

Good luck with your order.  Do update us if you get 2 antennas with 1 order.  I'll have to contact them about mine then, because I placed an order for 2 ($33.98 + ship total), and got 2 antennas.

Peaty

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 07:41:55 AM »

I just got off the phone ordering the antennas.  I was told that there are in fact two antennas in the package for the 16.99 price.  I mentioned this forum and how there was some confusion.  I suppose it still remains to be seen since you are really the only one that has the antennas in hand.  I'm anxiously awaiting UlisesRodriguez's report on the number he gets.
Cheers,

Peaty

cheeze@sunflower.com

UlisesRodriguez

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 02:47:20 PM »

gotapex and Peaty sorry for the delay...

I just receive my order from L-Com and believed or not, they sent me only one antenna, although they confirmed before place my order that the 1 pack includes 2 antennas.!!

I contacted L-Com just to let they know that I was very disappointed that after checking several times before ordering 2 antennas that they came in a package of 2, they sent me only one...Since the D-Link DIR-825 uses 2 antennas can not do nothing with just one....

L-com offered me to send the other antenna and that they will handled the shipping cost (ship overnight). So I have placed an Order for the other antenna to complete the pair needed for my D-Link DIR-825 Router.

Already had try the DIR-825 with only one antenna,  and the range increased from 65% to 75-79%, so I hope that using the two antennas could help to get more than 80% signal level...I will let you know Monday...

Regards,

Ulises

Peaty

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 05:00:09 PM »

Well bummer, I too asked on the phone about there being one or two antennas.  And I was also told there would be two.  I haven't gotten my order yet so I'll wait till I do and do the same thing you did and call about it.  How long did the order take to arrive?  I suppose at least it's good news you see a difference with the one antenna though.  Thanks for following up.

Peaty
Cheers,

Peaty

cheeze@sunflower.com

Peaty

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 03:42:28 PM »

well include me in the single antenna received category :( They are closed so I'll call tomorrow and order the other one...   :-\
Cheers,

Peaty

cheeze@sunflower.com

Peaty

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »

Well I called today and they are sending me another antenna and not charging me for the shipping, hope it gets here soon...
Cheers,

Peaty

cheeze@sunflower.com

UlisesRodriguez

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 06:03:28 PM »

Hi Peaty

I am sorry that you have received only one antenna...The same thing happened to me ...

I think that we must admit that Gotapex was right.!

What I still can not understand is how a company gives the same wrong information (that the package had two antennas) to two different clients... I say this because I admit the mistake once, but two did not...

Anyway, I hope you keep us informed about the improvements you achieve with these two antennas and your D-Link DIR-825, because as we all know, this router is a bit unstable and tricky.

I say it is very unstable and also tricky, because sometimes the DIR-825 looses Internet connection and does funny things, so I'm almost deciding to buy a NetGear WNDR3700, and I have to give this DIR-825.

I am aware that the NetGear WNDR3700 have also some problems, but apparently is working better than the DIR-825.

Do not misunderstand me, but I ordered the two antennas to see if it solved the problem of short range of the DIR-825 ... I think it is unacceptable for a router so modern, last generation and also a little expensive, that I can not sometimes get more than 12 to 16 feets range, and that the signal keep always varying from 65% to 75% at only 10 feets (without any wall between the router and the computer).!!

So when I received my second antenna will prove it, and I will report what happened...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:14:04 PM by UlisesRodriguez »

Peaty

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 08:13:48 AM »

I do see a lot of people say they are getting a relatively short range with their 825.  However mine is working fairly well.  Mine does not drop out, I just wish the range was further and stronger than the one I replaced that was not an N.  My goal is to get a better connection for my son's XBox 360 which is two floors below the router in the basement.  I realize this is a tall order though.  Right now I have a game adapter:

http://www.shoplinksys.com/Wireless-N-Dual-Band-Gaming-Adapter-WGA600N-Front-Page_stcVVproductId53934601VVcatId543809VVviewprod.htm

on the Xbox and that has helped but I would like a stronger signal.  The only real issue I've had with the router was the shared USB port not being able to work a printer but the beta firmware fixed that.

Back to the subject at hand, I put the one antenna on to see if it has made any difference in the signal and so far I really can't tell if it's made any difference.  I'm waiting on the second one before I pass judgment.  I need to move arrange them in different ways and check signal strength I suppose.
Cheers,

Peaty

cheeze@sunflower.com

UlisesRodriguez

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 09:16:51 AM »

As I say Before, I am aware that apparently all new Type N routers are working better on 2.4 GHz, but on 5.0 GHz all have dramatically poor range... However what I have found is that some of them are working better than others and that if you looked the online reviews about the DIR-825 (Older and Latest B1) at:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30967-d-link-dir-825-b1-quick-review

www.smallnetbuilder.com Does clearly say that the DIR-825 B1 doesn't yield the same performance as the NETGEAR WNDR3700, even through their similar hardware design, but highly recommends the WNDR3700 over the DIR-825...

Also at CNet.com they mentioned that the "Dlinks's DIR655 performs significantly better, cheaper" and "DIR-825 2.4GHz performance significantly worse compared to DIR-655":

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-link-xtreme-n/4864-3319_7-33246906-1.html

When second antenna arrived will prove it, and I will report what happened... But do not expect miracles, it appears that low-level problems are due to some of the hardware and internal radios of the DIR-825, like www.smallnetbuilder.com already mentioned in their review...

rickm1350

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 12:44:03 PM »

I have a wireless Gaming Adapter connected via the 5 Ghz Band and a Ethernet Bridge connected via the 5 Ghz band.  Both are performing very nice.  One is about 25 feet away going thru 1 wall, the other is about 40 feet away, going thru 2 walls.  I have several devices on the 2.4 Ghz band and they also perform well.

I have been following this thread.  I was reading some info on wirless routers on another manufacturers web site.  They stated that the antennas are like 1.4 or db gain, and that it is illegal to use higher gain antennas on the router, because it would cause the router to put out more than it's authorized EIRP.  They also went on to say that wireless routers in some countries are secondary to high power radar systems on the 5.4 Ghz band and that high gain antennas could cause both interference to the radar systems, and may cause damage to the router.

Now I'm wondering if they are talking about if the you replaced it with one of the antennas mentioned in this thread, or if they are talking about connecting it to an outdoor grid-style high gain dish type antenna.  I'
m guessing the latter.  I guess I could see that, if you lived close enough to one of those radar installations.

UlisesRodriguez

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 03:04:16 PM »

Agree rickm1350... I am aware of what you mentioned about the illegal use of more powerfull antennas, but I think that may you have noted that gotapex, Peaty and myself have been forced to use more gain antennas, because we can not get the range that it supose to cover the DIR-825...

The curious think is that you mentioned that you are using 2 computers, one that is about 25 feet away (going thru 1 wall) and the other is about 40 feet away (going thru 2 walls)... And I really donīt know how can this be posible, because my DIR-825 sometimes drops the wireless connection and the signal goes from 45-65% Although I approached from 5-10 feet to the router, and also in the same room.!!

I also have read that others DIR-825 users have the same signal variation and low range problems, so I really donīt understand how some are getting such a high Range.?

I'm beginning to think that DIR'825, has serious problems in maintaining a stable signal and also sometimes does strange things, like blocking or slowing the Internet connection ...

gotapex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »

Sorry to hear only a single antenna was delivered.  I sorta expected it, but was hoping it was a double.

As I say Before, I am aware that apparently all new Type N routers are working better on 2.4 GHz, but on 5.0 GHz all have dramatically poor range... However what I have found is that some of them are working better than others and that if you looked the online reviews about the DIR-825 (Older and Latest B1) at:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30967-d-link-dir-825-b1-quick-review

www.smallnetbuilder.com Does clearly say that the DIR-825 B1 doesn't yield the same performance as the NETGEAR WNDR3700, even through their similar hardware design, but highly recommends the WNDR3700 over the DIR-825...

Also at CNet.com they mentioned that the "Dlinks's DIR655 performs significantly better, cheaper" and "DIR-825 2.4GHz performance significantly worse compared to DIR-655":

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-link-xtreme-n/4864-3319_7-33246906-1.html

When second antenna arrived will prove it, and I will report what happened... But do not expect miracles, it appears that low-level problems are due to some of the hardware and internal radios of the DIR-825, like www.smallnetbuilder.com already mentioned in their review...

I Agree with SmallNetBuilder.  The 825a1 had pretty mediocre range.  The Netgear WNDR3700 was much better in my house.  The 825b1 was not as good as the WNDR3700 until after I got the antennas.  After the antennas, it was definitely better.

MajestacaL

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 06:22:29 PM »

I just ordered a set of the dual band antennas for my d-link dir-825, I selected 2 for checkout so hopefully its just 2 antennas and not 2 sets! Thanks guys for the info on these it was a big help hopefully it will resolve my strength issues that I currently have.

UlisesRodriguez

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 08:21:01 AM »

Hi All,

gotapex, you mentioned that after having the 2 antennas, the DIR-825B1 signal was definitely better than the Netgear WNDR3700.?

You also mentioned that you bought a Netgear WNDR3700, and that the Signal was significantly higher than the Dlink especially a good distance ... How well is the WNDR3700.?

It is true that apart from the problems of the firmware, which seems Netgear is working on a Fix, the WNDR3700 is the Ultimate-Router, as many have mentioned in the Netgear forum.?

If the Netgear WNDR3700 was better than DIR-825, why you want to continue using the DIR-825 and further says that the use of new antennas DIR-825 exceeds WNDR3700.?

I've noticed that other DIR-825 problems, and not just the signal range, the biggest problems I have are the performance and incompatibilities ... gotapex Do you have noticed other problems, appart the signal range or antennas.?

Unfortunately, I would like to inform all that after receiving my second antenna, I found that the signal DIR-825 is the same and now have also experienced the following problems:

-I have not noticed any change or increase in the range of the DIR-825 ... Worse yet, now the wireless connection is much more unstable than before.

-After installing the two new antennas the DIR-825 disconnects every 2-3 hours on the Internet ... It may be that they are interfering.?

I've been looking for information and complaints about the Netgear WNDR3700 in its Forum, and although I've also found too many complaints from users WNDR3700 is also true that these complaints are lower than with the DIR-825...

For all the above said, and as you can imagine, I have decided to return it my D-Link DIR-825, and will have to purchase a Netgear WNDR3700 to see if at least I get better signal and less problems.

With regard to Antennas, I will have talk to L-Com to see if I can return them.

Regards

Ulises

gotapex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 03:45:35 PM »

Hmm.  I hope this makes it clear:

Signal strength, from weakest to strongest at long distances and through multiple walls:

Dlink DIR-825A1
Dlink DIR-825B1
Dlink DIR-825A1 with upgraded antennas
Netgear WNDR3700
Dlink DIR-825B1 with upgraded antennas

I'm not positive what is causing your disconnects.  I've never had those issues.  I've used the Motorola SB5101 cablemodem, and now have the SB6120.
Pages: 1 [2] 3