• April 25, 2024, 08:52:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: which side is volume_1  (Read 5981 times)

klein

• Level 3 Member
which side is volume_1
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:51:52 PM »

i have 2 hard drives in my 323 and they are setup as standard volumes, i am looking to take out volume_2 to use it elsewhere but which drive should i take out?  I know there are some people that have issues and it is switching so just trying to make sure.

Also if i take out 1 of the hard drives and boot it up and it was volume_1 i took out, can i put it back in and have it working properly or once it is removed and the 323 booted up once it will ask me to format it when i reinsert it?

thanks in advance for the help!!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: which side is volume_1
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 05:36:12 PM »

The right side - viewed from the front - is normally Volume_1 - and you can usually remove and replace standard volumes with no problems, but if you "use it elsewhere", depending on what you do with it, then you may be asked to reformat it when you reinstall it.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

klein

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 05:41:20 PM »

thanks fordem, i read the manual and it said if you are only installing 1 drive to install it in the left side looking at it so i pulled the right side thinking the manual would be correct and nope you are correct, it was the right side, but all is well ... thanks again!!!

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 03:38:26 AM »

be very careful..

see this previous post of mine (somewhat related)

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=7910.0

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 05:25:57 AM »

thanks fordem, i read the manual and it said if you are only installing 1 drive to install it in the left side looking at it so i pulled the right side thinking the manual would be correct and nope you are correct, it was the right side, but all is well ... thanks again!!!

I think I've been through this once before with another forum member, and it was either an outdated copy of the manual of a misinterpretation - but, if you only have one drive, it really doesn't matter where you put it, it will be shared as Volume_1, the problem arises when you add a second drive - if you did not use the right bay for the first drive, it is possible (and likely) that the existing drive becomes Volume_2 and this has led to people thinking that they have lost their data.

You may have noticed I said it's "usually" there are occasions when this is not so, typically in situations where folks move their drives around frequently, which I would consider to be "non-standard" usage.

klein

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 06:17:24 AM »

hey fordem ... as for an outdated copy, i couldn't find mine so i downloaded the quick install guide from the D-Link website yesterday so i would hope it isn't outdated

as for the rest of your explanation it all makes sense and as i was playing around i kinda figured that out

thanks again for everything

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 08:47:20 AM »

hey fordem ... as for an outdated copy, i couldn't find mine so i downloaded the quick install guide from the D-Link website yesterday so i would hope it isn't outdated

I could be wrong - but I think it is outdated, either that or the manual - I believe the "last time around" it was a similar story also.

rocaddict

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 06:10:53 AM »

i have 2 hard drives in my 323 and they are setup as standard volumes, i am looking to take out volume_2 to use it elsewhere but which drive should i take out?  I know there are some people that have issues and it is switching so just trying to make sure.

Also if i take out 1 of the hard drives and boot it up and it was volume_1 i took out, can i put it back in and have it working properly or once it is removed and the 323 booted up once it will ask me to format it when i reinsert it?

thanks in advance for the help!!

This has ben my observation:

Say you start with one hard drive, DLink says you should insert it in the right bay, but truth be told it'll work fine in either bay. (at least when I was running the stock/older firmware)
This'll always be Volume_1, regardless of which bay you install it in.

Here's where it gets a bot odd/confusing"

Suppose the single drive setup you had had the drive in the left bay, and you added a second drive in the right bay... the new drive becomes Volume_2

now... suppose you powered the unit down and removed the old drive (in the left bay). when you power up, the unit assigns the new drive (the only drive in the unit) as Volume_1 (assumedly because it's now the only drive detected.

Now power off and re-insert the old drive (left side and power the unit up.... the old drive becomes Volume_2

So how did I fix this? :

1. Power off and remove both drives.
2.  Power the unit up to clear the list, then shut it down again.  (optional)
3. Insert the old drive that you wants to be Volume_1 and power the unit up. As above, it'll automatically assign it as Volume_1, as it's the only drive in the unit.
4. Power down and insert the new (empty) drive. When you power up the unit, it'll automatically become Volume_2

Hope this helps.

Rob