• April 19, 2024, 04:25:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Formatting Failure with WD 1TB disk  (Read 4760 times)

AkarkiPalko

• Level 1 Member
Formatting Failure with WD 1TB disk
« on: April 05, 2010, 03:58:39 PM »

Dear All,

I bought my 343 and for the beginning one 1TB WD drive. The hard drive configuration menu shows the details:

Disk  Vendor  Model  Serial Number   Size
1  WDC  WD10EARS-00Y5B1  WD-WMAV51340528   1000 GB

Of course I could chose Standard option.

1.) For file system I tried ext3 first. The initializing phase and the format phase finished. Here is the result:

"FORMAT RESULTS :
Change the hard drive configuration or format the newly inserted hard drive(s). Notice that your data will be erased during the process.

Hard Drive(s) Formatting Failure (Error Code:17)."

2.) After several failed prcedure with ext3 I chosen ext2. After the initializing I got this:

"Change the hard drive configuration or format the newly inserted hard drive(s). Notice that your data will be erased during the process.

Hard Drive(s) Formatting Failure (Error Code:119)."

Questions:
-What does it mean error code: 17? Or 119?
-Is the mentioned WD disk is comatible with DNS343?
-Where could I find a new compatibility list for DNS343?
-I wasn't able to format the disk in desktop PC to ext2-ext3 neither ntfs. Should check it somehow?

Thank you for any help in advance.
Regards

Wilson

• Level 1 Member
Re: Formatting Failure with WD 1TB disk
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:41:36 AM »

Dear All,

I bought my 343 and for the beginning one 1TB WD drive. The hard drive configuration menu shows the details:

Disk  Vendor  Model  Serial Number   Size
1  WDC  WD10EARS-00Y5B1  WD-WMAV51340528   1000 GB

Of course I could chose Standard option.

1.) For file system I tried ext3 first. The initializing phase and the format phase finished. Here is the result:

"FORMAT RESULTS :
Change the hard drive configuration or format the newly inserted hard drive(s). Notice that your data will be erased during the process.

Hard Drive(s) Formatting Failure (Error Code:17)."

2.) After several failed prcedure with ext3 I chosen ext2. After the initializing I got this:

"Change the hard drive configuration or format the newly inserted hard drive(s). Notice that your data will be erased during the process.

Hard Drive(s) Formatting Failure (Error Code:119)."

Questions:
-What does it mean error code: 17? Or 119?
-Is the mentioned WD disk is comatible with DNS343?
-Where could I find a new compatibility list for DNS343?
-I wasn't able to format the disk in desktop PC to ext2-ext3 neither ntfs. Should check it somehow?

Thank you for any help in advance.
Regards
Do you know what is the version of the f/w?

AkarkiPalko

• Level 1 Member
Re: Formatting Failure with WD 1TB disk
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:22:15 AM »

1.03b76
But...
After some tests with Systen Rescue CD 1.3.4 and Partition Magic in my office (and with the help of the shop's crew) it turned out that the HDD's first sector was bad.
 ::)
My mistake. Unfortunately I don't have desktop PC at home to test such a problem.