• April 19, 2024, 12:58:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Compatibility of DNS-323 with 2TB Seagate Green ST2000DL003 Drives?  (Read 7517 times)

dividedhighw

• Level 2 Member

Hey All!

Has anyone used this drive with the DNS-323?  (The published "compatibility list" seems way old.)

I installed a new pair of these in Raid 1 mode with my motherboard's built-in Intel Raid controller (latest BIOS & drivers on Win7-64) and there are regular and noticeable delays from time to time, reading/writing data.  This symptom is accompanied by drive retry/seek sounds similar to what happens when a bad block occurs.  :(  Yes, there's a chance a hardware problem exists with one (or both) of the drives, but both passed ALL the SeaTools tests with no hint of a problem.

Perhaps this serves me right for believing Seagate's propaganda that their 4K block implementation works transparently in platforms designed for 512KB blocks?

In any case, I was hoping to re-deploy them in a newly purchased DNS-323 if there's a good chance it'll work.  (Been looking for an excuse to upgrade from my current DNS-321 Raid 1 setup anyway, since the 321 seems to be "end of life" based on the lack of firmware updates!)

Any advice/info greatly appreciated!!

TIA,
DH

heartog

• Level 2 Member
Re: Compatibility of DNS-323 with 2TB Seagate Green ST2000DL003 Drives?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 08:33:44 AM »

i am using this drive with dns-323

dividedhighw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 08:40:01 AM »

Thanks for the lightning response!!   ;D

So, acceptable performance and no issues, overall?

Thanks again,
DH

heartog

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:47:47 AM »

no issues. 15mb/s under gigabit connection and standard disk format

dividedhighw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »

no issues. 15mb/s under gigabit connection and standard disk format
Excellent!  BTW, what do you mean by "standard disk format"? (there's a choice?)

Thanks!
DH   :)

heartog

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 04:00:16 AM »

there is standard, JBOD, RAID 0 and RAID 1 when you format it with the dns 323

dividedhighw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 10:45:39 AM »

Too bad ... I need to deploy using Raid 1, which is currently what's giving me problems in my PC.  Using it as a "normal" drive doesn't seem to create any issues, but mirrored, there are these spurious delays (up to 5 secs or more when browsing) accompanied by disk retry noises (like when it's relocating a bad sector).

Anyone else use this drive in Raid 1 successfully?

TIA,
DH
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:47:39 PM by dividedhighw »

dividedhighw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 08:50:18 AM »

OK, an update, folks!

I've finally got these drives installed in RAID 1 mode by flashing v1.10b7 ... working well for a few days now.  However, FTP access doesn't seem to be working.  I can connect, authenticate, then it hangs at the MLSD command (can't do a directory listing at the root).  Also, "Enable NTP server" won't stay checked (although it seems to behave as if it's sync'ing time OK) and being forced to enter specific month/day to enable/disable daylight savings time seems restrictive (if not downright incorrect).

I've read on this forum that other people are having issues with v1.10b7 with UPnP, streaming, etc, but I haven't tried any of those things.

So, I'm going to downgrade to v1.09 to see if things improve.  Based on browsing this forum extensively, I'm expecting I won't lose any data ... if anyone has reasons/experience to the contrary I would appreciate a "heads up"!!!   :o

Otherwise, wish me luck - I'll report back!!  :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:01:04 AM by dividedhighw »

jhtopping

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:42:37 AM »

In my opinion you are moving in the right direction.  You should not lose any data, at least I did not.  You will probably still have issues with keeping time settings.  I finally gave up on using NTP servers and went through a seven step process that is keeping the time correct.  I am waiting to see what happens on 11/06/2011.

The seven steps were:
    1.  Set correct Time Zone.
    2.  Unchecked "Enable Daylight Savings".
    3.  Unchecked "Enable NTP Server"
    4.  Selected "Set Time From My Computer"
    5.  Checked "Enable Daylight Savings"
    6.  Entered the appropriate Start and End dates.
    7.  Selected "Save Settings" .

I feel it is easier to do this twice a year than trying to get NTP to work.  Who knows, it might even reset the time when DST ends.  If it works I will only have to change the start and end dates once a year.