• March 28, 2024, 09:29:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Firmware v.1.05b01 - Comments & Observations  (Read 48510 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Firmware v.1.05b01 - Comments & Observations
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 04:17:44 AM »

i see in release notes that this fixes the fan can't rotate error message

v1.05

1. Support Advanced Format Disk.
2. Fix some ADS issues with groups not always appearing
3. Fix "fan can't rotate" error message.

i have 2 units with that issue which i assumed meant the fans aren't spinning, can someone provide details as to what the "fix" is?

The "fan can't rotate" message in firmware release v1.04 is erroneous - a software glitch that appeared when D-Link upgraded the firmware code going from v1.04b to v1.04. The false error was written out of the code in v.1.05b.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

drick

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 06:59:45 AM »

The "fan can't rotate" message in firmware release v1.04 is erroneous - a software glitch that appeared when D-Link upgraded the firmware code going from v1.04b to v1.04. The false error was written out of the code in v.1.05b.

shoot now i need to go reinstall my other 2 units and see if fans are really bad or not!!

thanks
DNS-323v1.8 + ffp 0.5
2x750GB Seagate HDD's / RAID1+EXT3
DNS-343A - retired due to faulty fan
DNS-343B - retired due to faulty fan
DNS-343C v1.05b + ffp 0.5
4x2TB Seagate HDD's / RAID5+EXT3
Netgear RNDP6000
6x2TB WD HDD's / RAID6
Netgear WNDR4500

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »

shoot now i need to go reinstall my other 2 units and see if fans are really bad or not!!

thanks

If you walk-through the "fans can't rotate error in system logs after upgrade from 1.04b3 to 1.04" thread (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=38495.0) on the main board, you'll see that a huge number of DNS-343 owners were hit with this message immediately upon updating to the public firmware v1.04 release. I have two healthy DNS-343s and they both displayed this message immediately upon updating from FW v1.04b3 to v1.04. The messages immediately disappeared after upgrading from firmware v1.04 to v.1.05b01.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:27:46 AM by JavaLawyer »

pollow

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 08:29:54 AM »

can i update from fw 1.03 to fw 1.05b01 directly? or do i have to install 1.04 public release first?

like i said i have fw 1.03 with 4 WD20EARS, whats the problem with those kind of disks?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »

You can update between any two firmware versions. No incremental upgrade is required.

I can't speak to the WD20EARS specifically, but will say that the DNS-343 has had problems with RAID 5 arrays using advanced format drives. I do not have any information on the success rate of RAID 5 using advance format HDDs with the latest beta firmware.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:24:58 AM by JavaLawyer »

iuliand

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 01:47:54 AM »

I hate that D-Link never release a stable firmware. Always beta, beta, beta... :(
I want to see a stable, properly tested firmware being released.

Now that DNS-345 was released I can imagine that they will never release a final firmware for 343. Wouldn't be the first time to see D-link abandoning old devices without proper firmware being released.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 04:25:50 AM »

I hate that D-Link never release a stable firmware. Always beta, beta, beta... :(
I want to see a stable, properly tested firmware being released.

The latest DNS-343 beta firmware resolved a number of instability issues inherent in some of the prior public releases. What instability issues are you referring to?

Now that DNS-345 was released I can imagine that they will never release a final firmware for 343. Wouldn't be the first time to see D-link abandoning old devices without proper firmware being released.

D-Link has not abandoned the DNS-343. The normal product life cycle for this type of technology is typically 1 to 3 years, during which time D-Link adequately supported the DNS-343.

chaicka

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2011, 01:48:11 AM »

Just a personal opinion.

In the years I have been using D-Link DNS-343 (since its first launch till about slightly more than 8 months ago), I have been faithfully waiting and waiting for D-Link to really pull up its socks to really give its NAS product a real solid push in terms of its firmware stability and probably some of the basic features which other NAS makers already have in their products.

Sad to say, I have finally give up hope and abandoned D-Link. D-Link is just not what it used to, with the changes (internally) that happened in recent handful of years.

Having been on QNAP for the last 8-9 months, I have been a very very very satisfied customer and still so excited about the TS-459 I have as every quarterly or so, the firmware update not only packs fixes but new features and also updating to support latest basic infrastructure services (such as Mac OS X Lion Server Open Directory, AFP). I would say, I will never look back again and never going to recommend D-Link NAS again even to friends and acquaintances. Just simply one reason: "Importance of NAS (storage) has grown so much even in SOHO or Home infra that an unreliable NAS (high risk of data loss) is just not acceptable."

Nowadays, NAS is used to store GBs (if not TBs) of precious photos and videos which are precious memories and moments of life that are not replaceable. Who wants to invest in a RAID-capable storage device that isn't any better in fail-safe/redundancy than what a PC-onboard SATA RAID can do?!

Just a consumer perspective.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 03:47:11 PM »

I respect your opinion and agree with you on a couple of minor points. However, unless I'm mistaken the QNAP TS-459 is at a significantly higher price point than the DNS-343 and isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. To D-Link's credit, the next generation of NAS such as the DNS-320, DNS-325, and forthcoming DNS-345 contain what appears to be re-engineered firmware, and a suite of new functionality not previously available on the DNS legacy units.

SpitRage

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 05:47:06 AM »

Is there anything special to do when reformatting for advanced format drives?  I have 4 of theSamsung HD204UI 5400 rpm drives.  I was on 1.04 but I would see pauses and stutters when streaming video from the drive.  I am hoping this firmware fixes the issue, but wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.  When I configured the raid-5 array again there was no option for advanced format, so I guess its smart enough to detect that these drives are advanced format and adjust how it formats and offsets them based on that?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2011, 11:07:36 AM »

When the new firmware was released, the only mention of AFD support was the one bullet item in the release notes in the beta forum. No mention was made as to any special procedure. My DNS-343s currently have non-AFD HDDs, so I can't speak to the effectiveness ofthe new update. If no special controls or prompts appear during HDD formatting in the web interface, then I would assume the AFD support is smart enough to detect the HDD type and format accordingly.

iuliand

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »

The latest DNS-343 beta firmware resolved a number of instability issues inherent in some of the prior public releases. What instability issues are you referring to?

Not something specific.
The simple fact that it is labeled as BETA it means that d-link admits it is not properly tested and stable. The sad thing is that even non-beta released firmwares in the past were proven to have serious bugs.
But my deception right now is about the latest firmware that is not getting out of beta testing eventually...

loloaqic

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2011, 10:40:11 PM »

Can someone please advise when the 'beta' code will be released as 'production' code?
Surely it has reached any quality milestones that may have been targeted.
I keep checking our local (Australia) Dlink support site, but 1.04 is the latest.

dmw-01

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2011, 08:14:04 AM »

Really looking for a way to get rid of the invalid "fan can't rotate" message as this is one of the really important messages that the device should send if it really is having a critical problem...

Also, the beta change log forum topic lists the 1.05 build as a 2009 build instead of (probably) 2011.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 07:47:20 AM »

Really looking for a way to get rid of the invalid "fan can't rotate" message as this is one of the really important messages that the device should send if it really is having a critical problem...

Also, the beta change log forum topic lists the 1.05 build as a 2009 build instead of (probably) 2011.

Thanks for pointing out the date error in the release note history. . . I've updated the post to reflect the actual release date.

Firmware version 1.05b01 corrects the "Fan can't rotate" error message.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4