• March 28, 2024, 06:18:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: WMA Pro Audio Files and the DSM-520  (Read 9766 times)

chuckbrown007

WMA Pro Audio Files and the DSM-520
« on: April 03, 2008, 12:02:54 PM »

I read in a previous post that WMA PRO is not supported by the DSM-520. Any Particular reason for that - or will it be available at a later date? Some songs I have tried (WMA 10 Professional, 768kbps, 48khz, 24bit, CBR) work fine and sound amazing and some do not work at all or have gaps or produce high frequency beeps and other artifacts. I have tried some other formats for listening to audio files in 5.1 and 7.1, namely wav and aac/m4a but they don't sound near as good as WMA Pro and they only work in PCM format (in the case of aac/m4a, I have to select "analog" under the general audio video setup settings on the DSM-520 in order for these files to produce sound - which I don't understand). Any ideas on how to get Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1 audio with lfe to work with the DSM-520 will be muched appreciated.

chuckbrown007

Re: WMA Pro Audio Files and the DSM-520
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »

ECF;

Any thoughts, opinions, remedies?

chuckbrown007

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 05:39:57 AM »

ECF;

Why no response to my questions from you? Is this not a site for D-Link customers to get answers to their queries?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 05:05:10 PM »

WMA Pro is supported by the DSM-520. Since WMAPRO is a form of digital audio, it is passed through directly to the receiver so that it can be used in its original quality(Not decoded by the DSM-520 like the Video). If your receiver can not receive WMA PRO audio they will not hear anything through the surround sound.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

chuckbrown007

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 06:30:53 AM »

I have a Pioneer Elite A/V Amp (VSX-81TXV) that does support WMA Pro. I have recorded 2 WMA Pro encoded cd's (from Blaze Media Pro and AVS Audio Converter) of files that do not work properly on the DSM-520 and playback of these discs on my 2 DVD players work fine (1 cd was encoded with DD5.1 the other with DD7.1). Also, all the audio files play back fine on my computer which is a DD5.1 setup (THX Certified). I have a wired (ethernet) connection to the DSM-520. Everything else works excellent on the DSM-520. Any other thoughts?

chuckbrown007

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 09:48:01 AM »

Has anyone else had problems playing WMA Pro files?

skeil909

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 05:11:21 PM »

Doesn't look like my VSX-1014TX has support for WMA, so I can't run a test.  >:(

Sorry.

chuckbrown007

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 06:39:06 AM »

I just read skeil909 posting "Annoying Problem I Can't Figure Out", relating to the fact that when he plays video encoded with AC3 or DTS that it skips and produces other annoying artifacts always in the same places. This too is what I've encountered. If the audio is "passed through" to your amplifier to decode (AC3, DTS, WMA Pro DD5.1 or 7.1 - or any DD encoded signal) would it not seem logical that if it were to skip or produce artifacts that it would be haphazard and not in the same place every time (therefore pointing to a problem with the DSM-520)? Another point I failed to make earlier is I have converted a couple of the same audio files to .wav5.1 (3/2 + lfe Dolby Prologic II pcm) and they work fine, but aren't near the sound quality of the WMA Pro. You may think I'm being overly picky but if you have the ability to convert to WMA Pro 5.1 DD, please try it, and please let me know if you encounter any problems during playback. ECF do you have test machines that you can try this scenario out with?

chuckbrown007

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 09:07:36 AM »

ECF;

Do you have a way of testing? I plan on doing a few tests of my own next week with the help of a neighbor who's system can play WMA Pro Files, but I would like some input/answers from D-Link. Again, if anyone reading this thread has the ability to convert files to WMA Pro Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1 and who's receiver can play said files, I sure would appreciate knowing if they work correctly for you. I did try WMA Pro Dolby Digital 2 Channel with the same results - cutouts, high frequency beeps and other artifacts.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 02:10:41 PM »

We do not have the hardware you are using available to test here in our lab.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

chuckbrown007

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 09:11:34 AM »

I understand and appreciate your response, but why then does WMA 9.2 lossless DD5.1 not work if the signal is passed directly through to the receiver for decoding? I've tried this format in both Dolby digital and pcm and neither work. There must be some DSM-520 involvement somewhere along the line otherwise it would work because as I said in a previous thread, my receiver will decode WMA Pro. That being said, is there an audio format that the DSM-520 will support that will play audio (only) in Dolby Digital format?