• March 28, 2024, 02:35:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which Adapter takes advantage of dualband with the 855?  (Read 16400 times)

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
Which Adapter takes advantage of dualband with the 855?
« on: August 12, 2008, 10:35:55 AM »

Duo technology allows for dualband wireless streaming (2.4GHz & 5GHz simultaneously)

I only see 1 dual band adapter available, the DWA-160 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=656&sec=1), and it is a USB adapter.  Given the limits of USB (shared bandwidth and placement), this would not be an ideal adapter to obtain a 300Mb connection for media streaming.  It also appears that the band has to be selected with the connection (like on the DGL-4500)

Is there an adapter that would benefit from the dualband of the 855 and auto-switch or utilize both bands at the same time like the 855 does?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:45:25 AM by Cranium »

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: Which Adapter takes advantage of dualband with the 855?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:06:31 AM »

Having an adapter that connects on both frequencies would not result in double the bandwidth.  There is no load balancing over wireless connections, not on the DIR-855, not on any device I have ever seen.

Even trying to utilize both interfaces for different types of traffic would require using software that allows you to specify your source interface at the very least (I am thinking of media applications here since that is the push for Duo and you mentioned it specifically).  And that is a best case scenario.

And I feel compelled to add that the best adapter for media streaming is a DGE-560T, this will always be the case, wireless is a convenience technology that you are trying to build infrastructure on.  No cordless phone will interfere with properly used Ethernet (as in not ran next to the phone or power lines unshielded), unless of course it is putting out enough EMR to blow up light bulbs, radios, and CRTs for a fair radius.
non progredi est regredi

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »

So why would I want to spend the extra money on a DIR-855 when the DGL-4500 does the same thing and costs much less?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 12:39:21 PM »

Because then you can have your home computers and media devices (though you know how I feel about both those on wireless) on a (usually) lower interference band.  And have guests or devices that don't support 5.8 Ghz on the higher interference 2.4 Ghz band.
non progredi est regredi

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 02:39:38 PM »

Because then you can have your home computers and media devices (though you know how I feel about both those on wireless) on a (usually) lower interference band.  And have guests or devices that don't support 5.8 Ghz on the higher interference 2.4 Ghz band.

I can't put my home computer and media devices on the 5GHz frequency if there are no desktop adapters to support it (which aren't limited by USB).  The marketing on the device certainly touts the use of the higher frequency, though.

So back to part of my original question...

What desktop adapters besides the DWA-160 will support the 5GHz frequency?  The DWA-552, DWA-556, DWA-652 and DWA-556 only support 2.4GHz. 

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 03:18:42 PM »

We don't currently make any

Though devices such as the DAP series, or even other manufacturers adapters (a majority of wireless clients are built into notebooks in my experience) are still capable of making that a worthwhile feature.

Though at the end of the day, I think that if the feature is useful to you you will gravitate towards it, if not, well then you won't.  We only sell what customers buy.  Considering the number of customers in this very forum searching like nobody's business for an DIR-855 I think that someone must have a desire for the functionality.

Now if this whole thread is a request for a desktop adapter using the PCI, PCI-X, PCI-Express, Firewire, RS-232, Short, ISA, Micro Channel, PC Card, or Express Card buses that supports concurrent 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz draft N, then consider it duly noted.

Now if this whole thread is a request for a desktop adapter that supports concurrent 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz draft N, and for it to load balance over the 2 radios of a DIR-855, then I can still take that as a feature request, but I can also tell you its flat impossible.

If I missed your point entirely perhaps you should try to elucidate it for me.
non progredi est regredi

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 04:10:57 PM »

No, you pretty much got my point.  Thanks.  ;D

Primarily, I would just want an adapter which supports both frequencies and is not USB.  The USB adapter would utilize over 60% of the available bandwidth on the USB (480Mb/sec) bus not even considering the usage of the other devices connected.  Whereas, PCIe adapter would only use a fraction of the available bandwitdth of 2.5Gb/sec.

Secondarily, if it were able to automatically select the band on which it could get the best connection depending on the specific interference of the moment, then it would be a great bonus (channel scanning or frequency hopping).

I was jumping on the bandwagon of having both frequencies and being able to use both frequencies at the same time (albiet with different devices).  But currently, the 5GHz is restricted to being used by a USB adapter only.  And, sadly, this applies to both the DIR-855 and the DGL-4500.  It appears that we are still stuck in the 2.4GHz frequency range for now.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »

Life becomes even more fun when you are considering that those are just the PHY rates, and various environmental factors and overheads make even those unachievable.

I personally agree with you, I can't however snap my fingers and make it happen.  Unfortunately my comment about D-Link selling only what Customers buy was entirely true.  My belief is that since on the retail level USB is seen as so convenient and universal, that it's sales outpace other adapters and thats the reason for the lack of hardware.

This is strongly detrimental to the potential of other adapters, who are sad misunderstood stepchildren when they could be lords among adapters.

Though in the end my advice will still be to run Ethernet, even where it is infeasible and expensive.  If you care about your network performance it is the only way.
non progredi est regredi

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 05:30:54 AM »

This is strongly detrimental to the potential of other adapters, who are sad misunderstood stepchildren when they could be lords among adapters.

Well put.  ;)

AWDL

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 12:30:39 PM »

And not the use answer.

The DAP-1522 is meant to be the remote radio device to connect your consoles, media streamer and computers wirelessly at 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz. they should all have ethernet functionality to get you to the DAP-1522 which will then connect to the DIR-855 on the whichever band you intend for the connection.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:33:22 PM by AWDL »
Meanest person you know

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 01:21:41 PM »

Thanks AWDL....that is the solution I am currently considering.

The only downside is the devices in 'room 2' are not centrally located.  I may end up having to do some wiring in the house to add some ethernet ports.  I hate climbing in Florida attics in the summer!

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 02:20:05 PM »

I may or may have not payed a neighborhood kid to climb in my attic (whether or not I did depends on whether or not this is illegal), my excuse is that my handle is well earned and I may or may not have fit (see above for clarifacation).  if it is any help he was a cousin of my best friend and his mother got a cut I think.
non progredi est regredi

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 02:41:28 PM »

I may or may have not payed a neighborhood kid to climb in my attic (whether or not I did depends on whether or not this is illegal), my excuse is that my handle is well earned and I may or may not have fit (see above for clarifacation).  if it is any help he was a cousin of my best friend and his mother got a cut I think.

LOL...thanks, but I would rather it be me that slipped and fell through the ceiling than a neighborhood kid (or son).  I'll be sure to post some pics for entertainment value if it happens. ;)

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 03:10:29 PM »

What fun are you?

Though in case I don't sound like a broken record already, while your up there I would just run the cabling to the DIR-855 directly and cut out the interference ****e middle man.

This is also usually when I begin discussion of running extra drops at various points (all for the adventurous) or running drops in anticipation of future technology (Yes honey, we do need 2 drops in the bathroom, what will we do if we get a TV or other network attached device in there [the mental picture I am conjuring is the Hollywood smart mirror with house AI that does a health check while showing you news and weather and your calendar in the mirror display]).  About then is when the help gets called in my experience.
non progredi est regredi

AWDL

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 06:55:04 PM »

1. Don't go in our attic in the afternoon, you will melt. Be in and done by 10am - still hot.

2. You can use wireless 2 DAP-1522 in Room two if you have 2 central areas. heck use one on the 5GHz band and one on the 2.4GHz band if you get a DIR-855 rev A-2.
Meanest person you know
Pages: [1] 2