• April 26, 2024, 11:25:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Lost Volume_1 after replacing failed drive  (Read 3007 times)

dmzalarm

• Level 1 Member
Lost Volume_1 after replacing failed drive
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:45:49 AM »

Not sure whether Dlink engineers tested this when fw 1.03 was pushed out, here is what happened to me and I want to let everyone know so that others don't suffer data loss like I did - over 2Terabyte of data are gone!

I have 2 dns343, yesterday I found that one of them is in degraded mode with 1 disk gone. I figure "no biggie, let me replace the drive". I shut it down, inserted a new drive and power on. The system recognized the new drive and prompted to format it. And it says "system will reboot once formating is completed and raid rebuild will take place ....". I swear that I was very careful at this point, it was very clear that the drive that was being formated was the new drive and not the volume whatsoever.

System rebooted, but my Volume_1 disappeared and the system is like brand new with fresh drives.

My configuration was 4 disk in Raid 5 and no auto rebuild. My question to dlink: how can a failed disk replacement resulting in loss of volume information?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Lost Volume_1 after replacing failed drive
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:22:56 PM »

Please reset the unit to factory default and access the DNS-343 again.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

dmzalarm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »

"reset to factory default"?

Are you kidding? We buy a raid NAS so that we can recover from a failed disk without having to start from scratch. Guess this incident gives me a new perspective on your prodcut - at the cost of 2.5T of my data.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 10:55:10 AM »

Resetting the unit to factory defaults will only reset the device settings it will not format the drives in the unit.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream