• March 28, 2024, 07:45:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Question about Recording Video. Help!?  (Read 4781 times)

cmill

• Level 1 Member
Question about Recording Video. Help!?
« on: February 21, 2014, 07:57:08 AM »

Hi everyone,

I bought my DCS-933L at Best Buy and the guy told me it had gigs and gigs of video storage for playback. However, I'm looking at the settings and website and can't find anything. I need to be able to actually RECORD video (I don't care about audio) so I can watch the playback when I get home.

The mydlink page is blocked at work, and I work in the city so my phone signal is horrible and the app is blocked on my phone. I can't sit there and turn on the app at my convenience if I'm at work.

Somebody please let me know if it's possible and what I need to do/download to record and store video footage. If possible, even set a designated time during the day to start recording. Or back to the store it goes :(

Thanks.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Question about Recording Video. Help!?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 09:16:24 AM »

The DCS-933L does not have any on-board storage capability. The camera can however, record video clips to an FTP site. Recording can be configured continuously; on a daily schedule; or based on motion detection triggers.

Video clips are limited to 15 seconds (and 3 MB maximum size), so 10 minutes of continuous recording will consist of 40 files. Alternatively, you can also use D-Link's free application, D-ViewCam, on a PC to manage the camera. Using D-ViewCam, you can add the DCS-933L (and other cameras) and schedule the recording. Using D-ViewCam may be preferable since the application saves the video as a single contiguous file.

If you're looking for a somewhat similarly priced camera with on-board storage, the DCS-942L contains an integrated SD Card slot for saving recordings.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ReverendTed

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 06:13:42 PM »

As JavaLawyer said, the 933L does not have its own internal storage for recording, unlike the DCS-942L which accepts a microSD card.
To use the 933L to record video, you have a couple of options:

- Run an application on a computer to record video - you can use D-Link's D-ViewCam software or 3rd party software.  A list of 3rd party alternatives is maintained on (or near) the last page of this thread.

- Run a standalone network video recorder (NVR) like D-Link's DNR-202L.  This is what I'm using to record video from two DCS-932Ls.  I like the NVR alternative because I don't have to dedicate CPU cycles, bandwidth, and memory on my computer to recording and playback.  I also purchased an external hard drive (required) and a separate router (optional) to keep the camera traffic from bogging down the home network.

Notworried

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 01:10:16 PM »

Glad I learned about DNR-202L. Motion-triggered detection on the camera is useless. You invariably miss a lot of actions or record useless stuff. If you are serious about security you need CONTINUOUS recording which this unit is apparently capable of. I love to be able to display the cameras on the TV on its own channel. I wonder if I can do this with this recorder? Is there an HDMI out or something?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 01:43:24 PM »

Glad I learned about DNR-202L. Motion-triggered detection on the camera is useless. You invariably miss a lot of actions or record useless stuff. If you are serious about security you need CONTINUOUS recording which this unit is apparently capable of. I love to be able to display the cameras on the TV on its own channel. I wonder if I can do this with this recorder? Is there an HDMI out or something?

The DNR-202 has an Ethernet port (to connect to a LAN) and two USB ports (for external storage).
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC