• April 19, 2024, 01:41:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: VPN Passthrough  (Read 16047 times)

jayfyve

VPN Passthrough
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:06:22 PM »

I am trying to use the DIR-330 to access a SBS 2003 PPTP VPN server. The VPN Passthrough and Virtual Server settings are missing and the documentation doesn't seem to mention my particular setup. Does the router forward GRE packets along with port 1723? If not, where can I set this up? I have tried many many different combination of settings as well as the newest firmware.

Please help!

CLIENT - INTERNET - DIR330 - SBS2003 w PPTPVPN

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: VPN Passthrough
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:40:45 AM »

I have not personally attempted VPN pass through on this device as it's sole purpose is to serve VPN.  It is like buying a Pinto to take you to and fro and leaving your working Ferrari parked in behind it on the drive.

My understanding is that this is something that can be accomplished though.  However it isn't something that will be me spouting a magic setting, we need to methodically work through your config.  That is at best difficult in this type of environment.  My best advice is that since this is just standard configuration that you may be best served by calling BCS support at 1 877 354 6555.  They will be able to help you in three shakes of a lambs tail.
non progredi est regredi

Lerxst2k

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 10:15:36 AM »

I think you are confusing Port Forwarding with VPN Passthrough.

It is a common mistake.  VPN Passthrough allows VPN client machines behind your router on your private LAN to 'pass through' your router and connect to a remote VPN Server.

Port Forwarding allows users outside your private LAN to access resources on your private LAN that lie behind your firewall.  It sounds like you wish to forward PPTP traffic to a machine on your LAN.  Just set up a rule to forward incoming traffic on Port 1723 to your VPN servers IP address.

It's probably best if your VPN server has a static IP.

Hope this helps.

jayfyve

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 03:03:56 PM »

Just set up a rule to forward incoming traffic on Port 1723 to your VPN servers IP address.

This doesn't work. GRE Packets must be forwarded as well, and there are no options to do this.

jayfyve

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »

My best advice is that since this is just standard configuration that you may be best served by calling BCS support at 1 877 354 6555.

Who are BCS Support? Do they do warranty for DLink?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 08:38:41 AM »

BCS Support is a redundant acronym like NIC Card that stands for Business Class Support.

They do support for Business Class products exclusively so you speak directly to an agent who has expertise in this product instead of say a home router or an IP camera.

They are a devision of D-Link Technical Support, support there is free for all warrantied and supported products.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:40:50 AM by Fatman »
non progredi est regredi

AWDL

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »

jayfyve,

Can you describe your network and what your goal is with a little more detail.

If Lerxst2k is correct in that the router is the WAN/LAN router for your connection to your SBS 2003 PPTP VPN server.  Internet <-> DIR-330 <-> Switich <-> SBS 2003 PPTP VPN server

Please let us know.

http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dir330/adv_dmz.htm
Try the passthrough boxes as checked and as unchecked.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 12:53:19 PM by AWDL »
Meanest person you know