• April 27, 2024, 05:00:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Network sharing questions  (Read 1754 times)

corigins

• Level 1 Member
Network sharing questions
« on: January 03, 2018, 12:39:37 AM »

Hello
Product is a DNS-320L of which I have a mirrored RAID 1. Under this is "Volume_1", the default I presume when a format completes.
I am trying to set up shares but the results are confusing.

This is the desired configuration:
I have two user accounts, let's say user1 and user 2

>Volume_1 (read only all accounts)
>>>Folder 1 (deny to user2)
>>>Folder 2 (R/W to all accounts)

Problems:
I find that I can still create files in the root of Volume_1 (should be read only) and have access to Folder_1 with no security prompts.

Do I need to create Windows accounts to match the new D-Link accounts? Would this make it work as required?

corigins

• Level 1 Member
Re: Network sharing questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 12:55:41 AM »

Found my own answer.
Windows accounts should correspond with D-Link accounts.
i.e. if a Windows Account is bill / 1234qwert, then a corresponding D-Link account should exist with the same username and password. It seemed to fix (at least for me) a swag of inconsistencies with regard to accessing or restricting resources on the NAS.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:05:08 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DNS? Look at the sticker behind or under the device.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DNSs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

What Mfr and model is the main host router?

I presume that maybe the case however I believe the accounts on the NAS don't have to correspond with Windows account. They can be anything as long as the user name and PW is correctly inputted into the account log in window when you attempt to connect to the DNS.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:40:33 PM »

At the moment you are using the windows account control to do what the NAS would do if it was setup correctly.

Volume_1 is the root volume and as such should only be accessed by the administrator and no one else. All other users should be confines to their own folders unless explicitly given access to other folders.

In your case, with two users you would make three folders.  One for each user and one as a common folder.

The common folder would be set to read only for both users.
The next folder would be read/write for both users.
The final folder would be set to read/write for user1 only.

With that setup the only person that can make overall changes is the administrator and each user has their specific access no mater what operating system they use to access the NAS. 

The use of windows account controls and nothing else means that should someone use an Android tablet or a Linux notebook they would have full access to everything on the NAS.