• April 24, 2024, 08:44:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Cannot copy from DNS-323 to computer  (Read 8032 times)

realkewl

• Level 1 Member
Cannot copy from DNS-323 to computer
« on: April 10, 2016, 06:51:06 AM »

Dlink DNS 323:
- firmware 1.10
- Drive config: JBOD using 2 1TB Seagates

My OS:
- Windows 10

When I try to copy a file (not all files) but a couple of files from this directory(DNS-323) I get the following error:
"There is a problem accessing \\Dlink\Volume_1...make sure you are connected to the network and try again"
It goes to about 24% before it fails.

I'm suspecting a bad drive sector.
I'm a windows person and I have no clue on how to use Linux. Can someone please help me.
I've read about fsck...I think that's what it is called, is supposed to be like windows check disk. Do you think this is the problem?
I've downloaded the following tools ExtFsd-0.64 and Ext2IFS_1_12 but I have no clue on how to use these tools, plus they seem more concern about data recovery. Which I'm assuming if you deleted something and you want it back. So far that is not my case, I just what the data out of the bad sectors, or rather remap all data out of the bad sectors.

I also tried booting from a usb using ubuntun...but again I have no idea what I'm doing. I took one of the drive out of DNS-323 connected it via USB and booted from usb ubuntun...but when I use file manager it sees the drive but it just looks really weird (not showing the full 1TB - or any data), and again I'm trying to do a check disk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
real

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Cannot copy from DNS-323 to computer
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:19:36 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?

What Mfr and model is the main host router?
Does a Windows 7 PC experience this same problem?
Has the Windows 10 been working before?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

realkewl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 05:12:13 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?

What Mfr and model is the main host router?
Has the Windows 10 been working before?

US - Region...
It's a Linksys router and I truly don't think that the router is the problem...some files copy just fine, but other do not. Again bad sector.
Don't think it's an OS problem...
Again don't think it's an OS problem.

Do you know how to scan for bad sectors from a windows PC?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 07:26:15 AM »

Two things.

1) you may be lucky and still have some of your data available.  Never, never pull a JBOD disk from a unit and subject it to any analysis if you don't know what you are doing - if you mess up the spanning information your data is dead.

2) have you run the SMART test and if so what is the result?

One more thing, make a backup of your data if you haven't already done so.  If the SMART test throws up any problems you will, most probably, have to reformat the disks and restore your data from the backup.

realkewl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 03:31:38 PM »

Yes I have run SMART and it reported no issues.

How can I backup my data, when some files will not copy across?

Again, this is all foreign to me...thanks for your help.

Thanks,
real

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:24:18 AM »

You copy what you can and hope that you have not lost too much.  I would also borrow a non win10 computer and see if the files that are reported as a problem can be copied - win10 is still a beta release as far as we are concerned and has a lot of problems connecting to NAS boxes (we have converted a couple of clients over to using Linux because of the problems).

realkewl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 04:32:36 PM »

I have tried using a bootable Linux OS Ubuntu...but I didn't know what I was doing. Should I try that again?

When I tried it I had taken one of the drives out of the NAS and tried reading it via USB...but that did not work. I have not tried booting into Ubuntu and just try access the NAS. Is there any trick to access the NAS from within Ubuntu? Is there another Linux version I should be using?

I have two NAS boxes...one is Dlink the other is not.

Thanks,
realkewl

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 04:30:55 AM »

I am sorry if I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

You need to try and access the NAS from another operating system - Ubuntu live DVD or USB stick fits that requirement.

You should access the NAS using SAMBA (SMB) and it should appear in the file browser like all the other disks and partitions.

The big concern is that you might have upset your JBOD array by removing a disk and accessing it outside the NAS.  This is the one big failing of ALL software RAID types (JBOD in this case can be considered as a RAID type) they are very dependant on the firmware, or setup program, that created them for their integrity especially when disk spanning is used.

Provided you can 'see' the array of the NAS you should be able to copy the files and folders that are there (try to copy one of those that have been giving the error message - if it still gives an error then that file is dead) to your backup disk.

Once you have copied as much of your data as possible you can then use the disk manufacturers disk tool to check both disks.  Again ask if you are not sure what to do.

realkewl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 02:17:46 PM »

I am sorry if I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

You need to try and access the NAS from another operating system - Ubuntu live DVD or USB stick fits that requirement.

You should access the NAS using SAMBA (SMB) and it should appear in the file browser like all the other disks and partitions.

The big concern is that you might have upset your JBOD array by removing a disk and accessing it outside the NAS.  This is the one big failing of ALL software RAID types (JBOD in this case can be considered as a RAID type) they are very dependant on the firmware, or setup program, that created them for their integrity especially when disk spanning is used.

Provided you can 'see' the array of the NAS you should be able to copy the files and folders that are there (try to copy one of those that have been giving the error message - if it still gives an error then that file is dead) to your backup disk.

Once you have copied as much of your data as possible you can then use the disk manufacturers disk tool to check both disks.  Again ask if you are not sure what to do.

Okay I have booted up into Ubuntu navigated to my NAS and tried to copy the file. The same thing happened. It'll get to about 20% and then stop.'

So my first question still stands. I'm I not able to do like a chkdsk on a NAS drive to move data out of a bad sector?

Is there no util in Ubuntu that I can install to perform a disk check on a NAS drive?

Is there no util within dlink dns 323 that will allow me to perform a chkdsk and move data out of bad sector?

With harddrives developing bad sectors all the time I find it hard to believe there's no util to move data out of a bad sector in a linux OS. At least windows has this feature.

Thanks,
real

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 03:36:49 PM »

OK, we now know there is a very bad problem with at least one of your disks.  I say a very bad problem because all modern SATA disks do their own bad sector housekeeping through routines in their firmware. When bad sectors are detected, they are removed from use by the firmware and the drive knows to skip the bad sectors. So, the notion of "rescuing" a hdd from bad sectors may be moot in that regard. That does not make it any better for you though.

There is a possibility that you may be able to get some of your data back by using ddrescue http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

Please read that page and also the online manual linked from that page (while ddrescue is a command line utility there is a GUI for it also linked from that page).  Also be aware that you WILL NOT get any data from the bad portions of the disk and, depending on settings they will either missed completely or filled out with zeros.

realkewl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »

OK, we now know there is a very bad problem with at least one of your disks.  I say a very bad problem because all modern SATA disks do their own bad sector housekeeping through routines in their firmware. When bad sectors are detected, they are removed from use by the firmware and the drive knows to skip the bad sectors. So, the notion of "rescuing" a hdd from bad sectors may be moot in that regard. That does not make it any better for you though.

There is a possibility that you may be able to get some of your data back by using ddrescue http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

Please read that page and also the online manual linked from that page (while ddrescue is a command line utility there is a GUI for it also linked from that page).  Also be aware that you WILL NOT get any data from the bad portions of the disk and, depending on settings they will either missed completely or filled out with zeros.

Ivan thanks I'll try it tonight. From reading some of the pages it seems like I need:
lzip - to unzip file ddrescue.tar.lz - but need to download the lzip.tar.gz version, then unzip and install (how to install?)
ddrescue - get from ftp, download, unzip and then install
ddresuce-GUI - so I can us a friendly interface

So here are some of my questions:
1. What is the ddrescue.tar.lz.sg file?
2. Once a program is install does it show up as a icon on your desktop?
3. All these programs can they be installed on my bootable USB version of Ubuntu?

Thanks again,
real

mberg22

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 07:44:27 PM »

Simply put the device is under powered, I installed ALT-F bios on mine which shows me CPU usage, and mine is pegged, at copying 10 to 11MB/s thats why if you take a look a newer Nas devices like qnap they have what seem like way over powered cpu's in them ( well that and support transcoding ).