So tech support called me back and they were able to get a schedule to work. We tried it together with my "always on" schedule and it did not work. They then asked me to use one of the other "advanced" schedules and to create a block over the current time for "on". I saved the schedule, applied it and then pulled the plug. After restoring power, the W110 came back and abouy 10 seconds later it came on. This at least proved it worked.
After we hung up, satisfied that at least it was working, I tried a few more things. I created schedule 2 so that there was an off cycle everday at 3:00 am. That worked. I created schedule 3 the same way but with one off cycle at 3:00 am on Monday and another on Friday. That worked too. Not to bore you all, I basically found the following 2 conditions.
1. A schedule needs to have at least one "off" cycle to work
2. Don't change the schedule names from Advanced 1, 2 or 3
I could certainly live with that. Thanks support team and I hope that this helps others trying to do something similar.