• April 23, 2024, 10:52:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: SpeedTest Results...  (Read 38284 times)

JasonC

• Level 1 Member
Re: SpeedTest Results...
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 03:22:36 PM »

Did you follow the FW update process?  ???

I followed your instructions to the letter.  I've been debating on trying another factory reset and see if the problem repeats itself, and give it a few days to level out. My feeling is that what ever server the router is using to determine my speed from here in PA is what's giving the inaccurate numbers to set my download/upload speeds.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 03:38:41 PM »

Ya I noticed that my router was using test servers hundreds of miles away, nothing with in my city. However my router did finally set my ISP speeds. I remember D-Link meantioning that any ISP speeds over 100Mb should be detected correctly last year. Give it a few more days or try a factory reset and follow the process again. Keep us posted. If it still fails  to gain full ISP speeds, I'll have D-Link review this.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Vigilante

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 02:01:56 PM »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Vigilante

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 03:30:38 PM »

What FW version is currently loaded?

FW: 1.13
Enable Streamboost Bandwidth Control:  ENABLED
Enable Auto Bandwidth Estimation:  DISABLED / BOX NOT CHECKED
-Download Speed: 60
-Upload Speed: 6

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 03:33:35 PM »

What are the results with SB and ABE enabled?

Vigilante

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 03:45:15 PM »

What are the results with SB and ABE enabled?

SB is already enabled.  Let me enable ABE and I will post my results.  Stay tuned.......

mrjezza

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 09:01:16 PM »

I've noticed a lot of people on the forums complaining that their speedtest results don't show the full potential of their connection unless they overstate it in the streamboost setup.  I.E. someone with a 40/2 connection won't see 40/2 in a speed test unless they put 50/3 or something higher into SB.

If you're putting anything other than your actual* speedtest results into SB you may as well not even bother switching it on.  (*actual = direct result obtained without streamboost or anything else affecting the result so you know its the real world maximum speed your connection is capable of)

The main goal of any QoS setup, including SB, is to prevent your internet connection from hitting 100% bandwidth (saturation) in either direction.  When SB is on it will deliberately prevent any single device on your network from being able to utilise 100% of the downstream connection; when you have a 40/2 connection and see something like 32/1.4 with SB on, that means SB is working and you're going to get the results you want when a bunch of devices are all trying to be greedy with the internet at the same time.

Specifically with gaming, lag spikes are due to your connection momentarily hitting saturation in either direction.  There is very little bandwidth needed for gaming, but if the internet connection ever hits 100% then the packets are gonna get queued up either trying to get in or out of your network and bam you have lag until that queue is cleared.

Your router can completely control every packet that goes out to the internet - they go from your device, to the router, then the internet.
Your router can only at best indirectly influence the packets that come in from the internet - they are often coming in as a response to a request from a device on your network, so the best the router can do is slow/stop the requests so that no more responses come back.

QoS creates a buffer in the downstream so that the internet connection doesn't saturate in between the time the router realises that it needs to slow/stop upstream requests, does the necessary upstream throttling/re-prioritisation and the effects of that are felt in the downstream.  15-30% is the recommended size of this buffer for both direction in other QoS systems I've worked with.  SB seems to have a good engine which reserves a lower amount in the upstream, probably because it can analyse the traffic, knows what needs to go out to the internet right now and what can wait, and has the ability to directly control those packets. 

If you have a 40/2 connection, dialled in at around 40/2 as per your speedtest results and you're seeing anything up to about 30% loss of speed with SB on then that's totally normal - that's just how QoS works.  Even though SB is a proprietary QoS implementation, it will work like every other QoS system at its core; the automatic identification and categorisation of traffic is what makes SB better than other QoS systems, particularly the ones where you have to manually define priorities for traffic on different ports, etc. I found it very hard to consistently trap torrent/p2p traffic on a manual QoS system but SB is spot on at putting almost everything in the right class.

If you set your SB to above the proper values so you see a full speed speedtest while its on, you're actually getting no protection from saturation of your connection, which is what causes lag and all the other annoying things you probably bought this router to avoid.  I think there needs to be a sticky about QoS

djid10t

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 05:33:10 AM »

Spot on, good post.

I would like to add that, the router should, when doing the AEB or using the "Test bandwidth" button, come up with your proper speed as it should max out the connection.  I sense that there are issues with that at the moment judging on what others have posted.  But you are correct, speeds will most likely be slower when testing from a device when streamboost is active.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:40:58 AM by djid10t »
DGL-5500, DGL-4500, DIR-825(Running DD-WRT), DAP-1350, DI-524 - XBOX 360, XBOX One, Alienware m11x r2, m14x, Dell Venue Pro 8 tablet

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 06:58:28 AM »

I'd like to add that while using v1.13 and with SB and ABE enabled with out inputing any manual values. ABE, at least for me was spot on to 50/3 here. There maybe ISP service issues, speed site testing issues, cabling or online devices that could cause ABE not to fully complete or detect full ISP speeds. For me the Test button fails to work however just enabling SB and ABE and saving settings and let it go, I came back later on and found speed results were at 49/3. I believe that users should allow the router to fully test and settle in by updating FW at the most opportune time, like late at night right before bed time and no other traffic is needed to allow SB and ABE to fully test with out interferences to gain the best testing and results.

I was told that there maybe some overhead room that SB reserves for his operations. So there maybe some decrease in what is displayed. Doesn't mean your loosing anything.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:05:45 AM by FurryNutz »

Vigilante

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2014, 12:10:15 PM »

I'd like to add that while using v1.13 and with SB and ABE enabled with out inputing any manual values. ABE, at least for me was spot on to 50/3 here. There maybe ISP service issues, speed site testing issues, cabling or online devices that could cause ABE not to fully complete or detect full ISP speeds. For me the Test button fails to work however just enabling SB and ABE and saving settings and let it go, I came back later on and found speed results were at 49/3. I believe that users should allow the router to fully test and settle in by updating FW at the most opportune time, like late at night right before bed time and no other traffic is needed to allow SB and ABE to fully test with out interferences to gain the best testing and results.

I was told that there maybe some overhead room that SB reserves for his operations. So there maybe some decrease in what is displayed. Doesn't mean your loosing anything.

Reporting back my results while using v1.13 with SB and ABE enabled, and my results are spot on as well (actually a bit better than what I'm subscribed to at 50 down / 2 up).  The TEST button fails for me as well.

Active Download Speed : 52.40 Mbps
Active Upload Speed : 2.34 Mbps

For now, SB and ABE will stay ENABLED / CHECKED.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:00:18 AM by Vigilante »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2014, 12:40:41 PM »

Glad it working for you.  ;)

Reporting back my results while using v1.13 with SB and ABE enabled, and my results are spot on as well (actually a bit better than what I'm subscribed to at 50 down / 2 up).  The TEST button fails for me as well.

Active Download Speed : 50.31 Mbps
Active Upload Speed : 2.34 Mbps

For now, SB and ABE will stay ENABLED / CHECKED.

Vigilante

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »

I've noticed a lot of people on the forums complaining that their speedtest results don't show the full potential of their connection unless they overstate it in the streamboost setup.  I.E. someone with a 40/2 connection won't see 40/2 in a speed test unless they put 50/3 or something higher into SB.

If you're putting anything other than your actual* speedtest results into SB you may as well not even bother switching it on.  (*actual = direct result obtained without streamboost or anything else affecting the result so you know its the real world maximum speed your connection is capable of)

The main goal of any QoS setup, including SB, is to prevent your internet connection from hitting 100% bandwidth (saturation) in either direction.  When SB is on it will deliberately prevent any single device on your network from being able to utilise 100% of the downstream connection; when you have a 40/2 connection and see something like 32/1.4 with SB on, that means SB is working and you're going to get the results you want when a bunch of devices are all trying to be greedy with the internet at the same time.

Specifically with gaming, lag spikes are due to your connection momentarily hitting saturation in either direction.  There is very little bandwidth needed for gaming, but if the internet connection ever hits 100% then the packets are gonna get queued up either trying to get in or out of your network and bam you have lag until that queue is cleared.

Your router can completely control every packet that goes out to the internet - they go from your device, to the router, then the internet.
Your router can only at best indirectly influence the packets that come in from the internet - they are often coming in as a response to a request from a device on your network, so the best the router can do is slow/stop the requests so that no more responses come back.

QoS creates a buffer in the downstream so that the internet connection doesn't saturate in between the time the router realises that it needs to slow/stop upstream requests, does the necessary upstream throttling/re-prioritisation and the effects of that are felt in the downstream.  15-30% is the recommended size of this buffer for both direction in other QoS systems I've worked with.  SB seems to have a good engine which reserves a lower amount in the upstream, probably because it can analyse the traffic, knows what needs to go out to the internet right now and what can wait, and has the ability to directly control those packets. 

If you have a 40/2 connection, dialled in at around 40/2 as per your speedtest results and you're seeing anything up to about 30% loss of speed with SB on then that's totally normal - that's just how QoS works.  Even though SB is a proprietary QoS implementation, it will work like every other QoS system at its core; the automatic identification and categorisation of traffic is what makes SB better than other QoS systems, particularly the ones where you have to manually define priorities for traffic on different ports, etc. I found it very hard to consistently trap torrent/p2p traffic on a manual QoS system but SB is spot on at putting almost everything in the right class.

If you set your SB to above the proper values so you see a full speed speedtest while its on, you're actually getting no protection from saturation of your connection, which is what causes lag and all the other annoying things you probably bought this router to avoid.  I think there needs to be a sticky about QoS

Great info!  After reading this, it appears SB is working like it should be on my 5500.  When running a speed test, I'm getting 45 down / 1.95 up (subscribed speed is 50 down / 2 up).  Thanks for sharing  :)

Vigilante

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »

FW: 1.13B03

MODEM:  Motorola SB6180
ROUTER:  DGL-5500
ISP: Cable 100Mb Package (100Mbps down / 5Mbps up)

**Enable StreamBoost Bandwidth Control - ENABLED / CHECKED**
**Enable Auto Bandwidth Estimation - DISABLED / NOT CHECKED**

I had issues with speeds not being reported correctly (100 down / 5 up) when ABE was enabled.  I plan to disable the wireless radios on the 5500 and 868L (AP), reset the 5500, and let ABE do its thing overnight.  I'll post the findings sometime tomorrow.  Hopefully ABE can get the correct speeds.  I didn't have an issue with previous subscribed speeds (50 down / 2 up) prior to the upgraded speed subscription.

Stay tuned!

nissan4ever

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2015, 11:52:50 AM »

Thanks for the information. Completely makes sense!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4