• April 18, 2024, 03:09:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Slow Delete  (Read 6361 times)

realwarder

• Level 1 Member
Slow Delete
« on: March 14, 2009, 10:22:30 AM »

Hi,

I've been using the Windows 7 (beta I know) to backup to the DNS-323 on firmware 1.06.

It takes an age to backup (due to me backing up > 1GB)

I am currently trying to delete the backup from the DNS-323 so I can change the settings and re-backup, however there is a serious performance issue here.

In a folder that contains 22,000 files, it is currently deleting files at the rate of 2 a second.  Yes!  Really that slow.

Current time to delete is 2 hours!

If this isn't a known issue, it should be.

Thanks!

RW

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Slow Delete
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 01:30:33 PM »

Would you mind sharing with us what you define as a "known" issue?

To me the term means exactly what it says - it defines an issue that is known to exist with a particular product, perhaps when used in a particular fashion.

For it to be known to exist, it would have to be easily reproducible, and further more guaranteed to occur.

Slow delete is not a problem known to occur with the DNS-323 - at least, it's not something I have heard numerous complaints of, or experienced in the two plus years I've owned my DNS-323 - I've just deleted a folder of 11,000+ files, almost 800 MBytes - took me less than a minute using Windows XP.

The same folder from a Windows 7 system took just over 6 minutes at a rate of 27 items per second, not including another 6 minutes or so for the "calculating" phase - perhaps the issue lies with your Windows 7 system?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Zardoz66

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 07:52:13 PM »

why deleate the files if you just going to reconfig and format anyways?
Zardoz66

DGL-4300 v1.9 | DAP-1522 v1.20 | DGS-2208 | DPR-1260 v1.24 | DNS-323 v1.6
1Gb JF=9k single drive mode
1 Seagate ST3300831AS 3NF1E956 300 G 
2 Seagate ST3300831AS 3NF1E03G 300 G

realwarder

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »

why delete the files if you just going to reconfig and format anyways?

Who said I was going to re-config anything?  I have amended by backup settings in Win7 to stop it storing some folders and restarted it.

(Oh yes, it was >1TB, not >1GB I was backing up)

Zardoz66

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 08:00:05 PM »

ah sorry about that, I took  "so I can change the settings and re-backup" as change the raid settings, and not the windows backup settings.
Zardoz66

DGL-4300 v1.9 | DAP-1522 v1.20 | DGS-2208 | DPR-1260 v1.24 | DNS-323 v1.6
1Gb JF=9k single drive mode
1 Seagate ST3300831AS 3NF1E956 300 G 
2 Seagate ST3300831AS 3NF1E03G 300 G

realwarder

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 08:07:39 PM »

Would you mind sharing with us what you define as a "known" issue?

To me the term means exactly what it says - it defines an issue that is known to exist with a particular product, perhaps when used in a particular fashion.

For it to be known to exist, it would have to be easily reproducible, and further more guaranteed to occur.

For me, to be a "known issue" means that someone would have reported it to a developer.  It does not have to match your description.  I develop software and if something happens once and is reported, it is a known issue.  Sure, things that are easily reproduced are the 'obvious issues'.  Those ones tend to get fixed quicker!

Slow delete is not a problem known to occur with the DNS-323 - at least, it's not something I have heard numerous complaints of, or experienced in the two plus years I've owned my DNS-323 - I've just deleted a folder of 11,000+ files, almost 800 MBytes - took me less than a minute using Windows XP.

The same folder from a Windows 7 system took just over 6 minutes at a rate of 27 items per second, not including another 6 minutes or so for the "calculating" phase - perhaps the issue lies with your Windows 7 system?

There was no 'calculating' phase on my system.  Certainly not more than a few seconds anyway.  The time was in the actual file deletes.

Googling around at other products that also use Samba to provide Windows file access on an ext2 filesystem, there are certainly other people with issues, so just because you don't experience something, doesn't mean someone else could be :)

E.g. http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=4758

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 09:23:15 PM »

And by the same token, not because you experience something means everyone else does, and as a developer you should recognize that because one person experiences/reports an issue does not make it KNOWN.

How do YOU as a developer deal with an issue, if a single user reports it, and you cannot duplicate it - how much time are you going to spend (a) trying to duplicate it, and (b) trying to rectify it after not being able to duplicate it.

At what point do you consider it as a one off quirk and move on?

To approach this from a different angle - I use my DNS-323 as a backup target - I've been doing it for two years.  During that period I have had the need to restore my email once - should I report that to my email client vendor, to my server vendor, to my network switch vendor or to my desktop vendor - whose KNOWN issue does it become?

No - a "one" off issue cannot be described as a known issue - and in fact, unless, you can pin point the problem to the DNS-323, it should not be considered a known issue for the DNS-323.

Last but by no means least - have you also reported this to Microsoft, after all you're using beta software, which is expected to have issues?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

realwarder

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:35:50 AM »

Trust me, if tomorrow you deleted files from your DNS-323 and it was going to take 2 hours, you'd be wanting to report it as a potential issue.

Sure, I should have walked down stairs and tried the same action from Vista or XP to see if they were suffering the same issue.

My bad.

As a dev, I hate ambiguous bug reports.  And bug report with emotion fails on all fronts.

Again, my bad.

When my backup is again complete, I will try and replicate from all OS's.

I did however get the response I was looking for, which was no one has really heard of this before, which implies something other than the DNS-323.  We'll see...

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 10:45:29 AM by realwarder »

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 07:20:41 PM »

I'm on Win7 and have the same issue.  It's explorer.exe that has the problem.

If you drop down to a command prompt and delete the files/directories from there, it's instantaneous. 

Remember, w7 is still beta software.