• April 24, 2024, 11:01:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What about the Beta?  (Read 2529 times)

topikito

• Level 2 Member
What about the Beta?
« on: May 27, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »

Hi!

I'm not quite sure about how stable/fiable the beta release is, but I would like to ask just one thing about the HDs. Are the 1,08 beta firmware safe for the Hard Disks? I mean, is there any option that they got formated or any posibility of data loss?

Thanks!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: What about the Beta?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:59:36 AM »

I'm tempted to say - if you feel the need to ask this question, then don't run the beta.

I'm running the beta, and have not found anything that would have caused the loss of data, and so far it has been quite stable - BUT - beta software is pre-release and expected to have problems, and it is generally not recommended that you run beta software in situations where down time and/or data loss would be problematic.

In the corporate world, beta testing is done on systems specifically set aside for such purposes (and I'm not talking about the software developers here, I'm talking users), in SOHO it's less common to find separate systems, but the same principles remain - testing should not be done in a manner that would cause the loss of data.

Since you ask - I will also mention this - even with production software the potential for data loss always exists (it is merely heightened with beta software), have you made plans to deal with the possibility?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

topikito

• Level 2 Member
Re: What about the Beta?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:56:51 AM »

Ok. I figured out it will be this way. But i've thinked about the idea, and i guess that the file handling, if it hasn't changed, then it should be the same than in older firmware versions... therefor, the data loss would be as low-probable in the beta than in the stable... It doesn't matter if the torrent stop working and i have to reboot it,... It's just that the beta has features I would like to test.

Thanks for replying! :D