• April 17, 2024, 10:45:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What are the "Oplocks" and "map archive" options for?  (Read 40981 times)

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
What are the "Oplocks" and "map archive" options for?
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:17:31 AM »

Can someone explain to me what the "oplocks" and "map archive" options are in the network access settings page?

Thanks,
Gary

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
Re: What are the "Oplocks" and "map archive" options for?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:18:43 PM »

It's the the manual...

Opportunistic locks (oplocks) are a characteristic of the LAN Manager networking protocol implemented in the 32-Bit Windows family. Oplocks are guarantees made by a server for a shared logical volume to its clients. These guarantees inform the Client that a file’s content will not be allowed to be changed by the server, or if some change is imminent, the client will be notified before the change is allowed to proceed.  Oplocks are designed to increase network performance when it comes to network file sharing however when using file-based database applications it is recommended to set the share oplocks to No(off).

So.. unless you're running a Access/Quickbooks/MySQL kind of database, keep it on.

When enabled, the file attribute ”Archive” will be copied as the file is being stored on the DNS-323. Certain backup software attach this attribute to files that are being stored as backups.

This woks the same as when you change a file in your Documents folder and the Archive bit is set.

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:47:44 AM »

Thanks.. of course after I posted this I discovered the "support" link :)....

On my first nas, I have both "OFF" and on my second one I have both on... Hmm....
Can I change the attribute without having to worry about anything else (like screwing up permissions)?

Thanks,
Gary

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »

Yes.  That would be fine.

softwizard

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:53:57 PM »

Why does 1.06 default to OFF on OppLocks if it is a desired thing?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 07:01:43 AM »

Why does 1.06 default to OFF on OppLocks if it is a desired thing?

Who says Opplocks is a desired thing?  Whether or not it should be used is dependent on the application in which the device is being used.

Having it on when it should be off could prevent a multiuser database from functioning correctly, having it off when it could be on, could impair performance when the files will only be used by a single user at a time.

Which of those scenarios would you consider as more desirable?
How would you deal with it if you had both types of files stored on the same device?

Just as an example - a SOHO setup with QuickBooks and Microsoft Office files - would you prefer lower performance or one that just didn't work? 
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.