• March 18, 2024, 08:51:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-615 frequent random disconnects (wired and wireless)  (Read 39757 times)

eriq

• Level 1 Member
DIR-615 frequent random disconnects (wired and wireless)
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »

A couple of days ago I purchased a new DIR-615 router (Hardware version E1, Firmware v5.00A) replacing my Linksys WRT300N router due to hardware malfunction. I performed manual setup and got everything working and running smoothly--for a few hours.

After just a mere 5 hours of successful use, the 615 just started randomly disconnecting (for both wired AND wireless connections) for no apparent reason. My wife was working on her HP laptop when her wireless connection just stopped working, and my desktop computers could no longer see each other or access the Internet. ALL of the computers in our local network (wired and wireless) are affected, and I cannot ping any computers.

Unplugging/replugging the power from the DIR-615 seemed to fix everything for a short while, and then it happens again at random. One time after 10 minutes, another time after 30 minutes, and even after 1/2 day of successful use.

I have a pretty straight forward setup. Cable Modem connected to the router Internet port, and a VOIP device (Vonage), 2 desktops and 5 port switch connected to the 4 LAN ports. From the switch, I have a few desktop computers and an XBox 360 connected. I also have 3 notebooks and a smartphone (TouchPro II) connected via WiFi.

The problem seemed to occur more frequently as I was listening to music located on a Windows Home Server PC. It would just stop playing in the middle of a song (also wreaking havoc on my syncing) and then I could no longer access the Home Server PC or ping it, and my Internet connection is lost. I know it's not an issue with my computers and certain it's a router issue.

I tried searching for a firmware update thinking the firmware just needed updating, but guess I have the most recention version as no updates were available. Then I searched the Internet and found a few other people with the same problem (but no real resolution).

Does anyone have any suggestions or did I buy a faulty router? This is my first D-Link and will probably be my last if I have to return it. I've been with Linksys but their quality went down hill as well. I'm just frustrated that I can't seem to find a decent reliable router. I never had this disconnect issue with my Linksys WRT300N, but I had a completely different issue with that. Anyway, some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:51:46 AM by eriq »

eriq

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-615 frequent random disconnects (wired and wireless)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:09:06 AM »

Geez after reading many of the posts in this forum LOTS of people are having disconnections issues with the new 615 and returning. I'm also going to return soon.

I should have gone with my first choice, a Belkin router, but the sales person talked me into D-Link.

X off the list:
Linksys (overheating issues in well venelated area)
D-Link (frequent random disconnects)

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:16:29 AM »

Just to add to your list:

D-Link has "crappy" one-way upgrade firmwares.

I would suggest Netgear as possible router.

eriq

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:17:34 AM »

Just to add to your list:

D-Link has "****py" one-way upgrade firmwares.

I would suggest Netgear as possible router.

I will look into that. Thanks.

eriq

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »

After repeated random disconnects over 2 more days, I replaced the DIR-615 with a Netgear Wireless N 300. SOLID product all around (and designed better as well).

A word of advice for everyone: If you bought a D-Link Wireless N router less than 30 days ago, RETURN IT!!!! As a computer consultatnt that was by far the worst wireless router I have owned!

Andy_NY

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 02:24:38 PM »

I agree with those giving advice to return the DIR-615 if you can.  I have had a version C router for about 1 year and have had nothing but trouble with it.  While I have not used it as a wired router, I can tell you that wireless disconnects that required reboot have been routine.  I recently upgraded the 3.01 firmware to 3.11, and it did seem to bring some stability to the router with fewer dropped connections, but now I have a NEW PROBLEM!!!  Now it won't allow my work voip phone to function behind the router. I even tried putting the phone in the DMZ, with no resolution.  This appears to be some NATing issue because the Session Boarder Controller on my companies voip network loses sight of the phone when it's plugged into the router.  Everything however is okay when the phone is plugged directly into the cable modem. Ironically one of the reasons I bought this router was because of the QOS functionality.  But QOS is completely useless if my voip phone won't work behind it.

Now I'm trying to downgrade the firmware back to 3.01, but of course the router won't allow that.  So I'm into modifying hex code in the firmware bin file to trick it into allowing me to downgrade. The only reason I'm still trying this thing is because it's become a matter of principle to get this POS to work. I don't care if it's life ends in a puff of smoke :)

I just went out and bought a Linksys WRT54GS2 to give it a try. While it's only a super G router instead of N, I don't care.  I just want something that is reliable and allows my voip phone and vpn to work for telecommuting.  Does anyone have experience with this Linksys or have recommendations?

But again to recap... return the router if you can.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:44:24 PM by Andy_NY »

eriq

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 03:02:03 AM »

@andy_ny

Linksys has always been my preferred brand for over 10 years. But when Cisco bought Linksys, the quality of their products went downhil (shockingly, since Cisco is known for enterprise-grade networking products). My personal experience with Linksys products (after the purchase) was that they lasted 6-12 months, then would just die completely. And/or simple things like minor power outages (which occur rarely) would kill them as well. No resetting or "reverting back to factory defaults" would work.

The straw that broke the camels back was last week when my Comcast Internet service went out for 20 minutes for local maintenance in area. After the service came back up, my Linksys WRT300N router absolutely refused to give out IP's. DHCP and the wireless no longer worked. But when I connected a laptop directly to the cable modem everything worked fine. After repeated (10+) soft resets, unplugging for 5+ minutes and replugging and then finally several hard resets and NO luck, I gave up and decided to go with a different brand. Please also keep in mind that I owned 2 more WRT300N's prior to the one that I replaced last week because they simply went bad (this was also confirmed by MicroCenter, the store where I purchased them).

I went with the D-Link because an unknowledgable sales rep said it was a better brand than Linksys, but ultimately it was far worse. The moral of the story is to stay away from Linksys and D-Link and go with Netgear or Pakedge (http://www.pakedge.com/, a lot more expensive but most reliable)

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 08:57:46 AM »

My DIR-615 (b1) boots when a wireless signal connects to it

Then, my DIR-628 (A2) have settings "change" by themselves and now D-Link "locks" the firmware upgrades after 1.2xx. (Can not go lower.)

Linksys have recently been quite complex to install.

I am now using a Netgear WNDR3700.  Reliable wireless signals, easier to set up and USB drive sharing works without an install of a "problematic" software driver.

eriq

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »

Ok, so 3 days have gone by now since replacing the D-Link router with a Netgear model and everything has been working great. No disconnects, no resetting, and I've been able to play music for several hours straight--something I couldn't do at all with the 615.

D-Link: You should take note here. This is how equipment is supposed to work before you release it to the public.  :P
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:17:50 PM by eriq »

Andy_NY

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 06:48:58 AM »

@andy_ny

Linksys has always been my preferred brand for over 10 years. But when Cisco bought Linksys, the quality of their products went downhil (shockingly, since Cisco is known for enterprise-grade networking products). My personal experience with Linksys products (after the purchase) was that they lasted 6-12 months, then would just die completely. And/or simple things like minor power outages (which occur rarely) would kill them as well. No resetting or "reverting back to factory defaults" would work.

The straw that broke the camels back was last week when my Comcast Internet service went out for 20 minutes for local maintenance in area. After the service came back up, my Linksys WRT300N router absolutely refused to give out IP's. DHCP and the wireless no longer worked. But when I connected a laptop directly to the cable modem everything worked fine. After repeated (10+) soft resets, unplugging for 5+ minutes and replugging and then finally several hard resets and NO luck, I gave up and decided to go with a different brand. Please also keep in mind that I owned 2 more WRT300N's prior to the one that I replaced last week because they simply went bad (this was also confirmed by MicroCenter, the store where I purchased them).

I went with the D-Link because an unknowledgable sales rep said it was a better brand than Linksys, but ultimately it was far worse. The moral of the story is to stay away from Linksys and D-Link and go with Netgear or Pakedge (http://www.pakedge.com/, a lot more expensive but most reliable)

eriq, thank you for the recommendation on the Netgear or Pakedge.  Since I don't want to spend a lot more $$'s I will go with Netgear when I replace my DIR615 N router on the first floor of my home.  I was looking at a no frills WNR2000 and was wondering if you have any experience with that?  Or could you suggest another good Netgear that would be $100 or less?

As for your comment about Linksys/Cisco, I agree 100%.  I really was avoiding a cisco, but the reviews on the WRT54GS2 seemed pretty good and since it's only a "G" router it was pretty inexpensive I figured what the heck.  I did set up the Cisco in my 2nd floor home office and it is working nicely, including my voip service, so I guess I'll keep it for now.  I've got 30 days to return it for a full refund at Walmart if I change my mind.

Any suggestions for replacing my first floor DIR-615, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy_NY

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 08:40:10 AM »

Great news.  On Mar. 8, 2010 they released firmware update 3.12NA for the DIR-615.  It resolves the following issues
¤ Fixed: “User” access issue.
¤ Fixed: Wireless connection issue.
¤ Fixed: DHCP reservation issue.
¤ Fixed: Static IP issue

I just loaded the new firmware and now my IP phone works behind this router!!

Time will tell if it resolves the wireless connection and DHCP reservation issues that so many complain about.

ojintoad

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 09:47:57 PM »

Thank you for reporting that a firmware update had been released.  The functionality to check for new firmware did not respond with the version you highlighted.  Hopefully it will fix the issues that others have highlighted and that I seem to be experiencing.

VOIP_Problem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 03:19:52 PM »

Just wanted to give my thanks for this posting!! I had a voip phone that would not work through the 615 even after having added it to the DMZ. The 3.12NA firmware fixed the problem and the voip phone now works. I was going to smash the router and get a new one till I found this fix.

Thanks again.