• March 28, 2024, 12:57:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Getting Started - without Linux  (Read 2449 times)

jp2code

• Level 1 Member
Getting Started - without Linux
« on: October 29, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »

I see lots of great info here on how to do things, but I don't know how to start.

Is there a thread or link someone could point me to for how a Windows person with no Linux experience could get a basic connection to my DNS-323 device from Windows? Would I need to telnet in? Do I need a third party control (I think I saw someone mention Frogs) to pull up a console?

Just the basics is all I'm after. I know there are books out there, but I don't really want to spend a couple of months studying Linux just so I can flash the firmware.

Thanks,
Joe

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Getting Started - without Linux
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:02:12 PM »

What are you trying to accomplish? To use the boxes basic functions it does not require any linux know-how. If you are talking about developing then there i another forum out there that has devoted its time to that.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 06:41:13 PM »

Have you tried reading the user guide - shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so.

Just the basics is all I'm after. I know there are books out there, but I don't really want to spend a couple of months studying Linux just so I can flash the firmware.

Thanks,
Joe

You'll find the instructions for upgrading the firmware in there.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Chill

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 06:43:53 AM »

When you say FLASH the firmware, do you mean to create your own firmware? If that is your goal, then you really need to study Linux, and study hard LOL

Now, if you mean to update/upgrade the firmware, then all you need to do is read the user-guide carefully and follow the instructions.

I wish you luck