• April 18, 2024, 10:02:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-615 Rev.E: How to use Emergency room to burn firmware  (Read 42333 times)

mkaz

• Level 1 Member
DIR-615 Rev.E: How to use Emergency room to burn firmware
« on: October 17, 2010, 05:06:40 AM »

After spending the last 2 days trying to burn the factory firmware using emergency room, I had almost given up but finally succeeded. Thought of leaving these instructions for any of the other poor souls out there that struggle with conflicting instructions and poor documentation.
As far as I know, the process differs slightly depending on the hardware revision.
The following is true for Rev. E

If you are familiar with the process but struggle with Rev.E - this is what made it work for me:

1. Disconnect all cables from the router and then connect only your computer to any of the LAN ports. Some instructions state to use the WAN port. For Rev.E this does not work. Only LAN ports respond.
2. My model originally came with firmware 5.10RU. I found most recent firmware only on the Taiwanese site at this link: http://www.dlinktw.com.tw/support/download_view_get.asp?sno=FOHOGI&RelType=Firmware&ModelSno=HLIKEI&HWsno=DIMGBI
Download "DIR615E3_E4_FW510B09.bin" from the bottom of the page. After burning it will read "5.10RU , Mon, 06 Sep 2010"
3. Restart your computer into 'Safe mode with Networking'. In my case this was essential, since in normal mode all kinds of strange errors came up.
4. Set computer to 192.168.0.2; Router is 192.168.0.1
5. Switch DIR-615 off, press reset button, keep pressed and switch on. Keep button pressed until the Power LED blinks in orange.
6. Use Firefox. I used 3.6 but other versions may work also. IE7, IE8, Chrome and Opera all failed. Point the browser to 192.168.0.1
7. In the screen that comes up, choose the firmware file and click send. Then wait patiently while the upgrade counts the percent uploaded. After it showed 100%, I waited and extra 2 minutes, just to be on the safe side.
8. Pull the power from the router and switch is on again.
9. The browser should now come on again with default settings. This means DHCP is on and the subnet is now 192.168.1.x, router being 192.168.1.1
10. Change the computers IP to automatic IP (DHCP on) and wait until the router completes the boot.
11. Point your browser (any browser should work now) to 192.168.1.1 and you should get the login screen.
12. Log-in and reset to default options, restart and then login again.
13. Start configuring your router.

Key steps in this procedure were the usage of the computer in Safe Mode with Networking, Firefox and the connection to the LAN port.
It would be nice if D-Link would document these steps. Finding how it works in trial and error mode took me about 2 days.
Seems that earlier revisions required to use of the WAN port whereas Rev. E uses the LAN port.

The internal web server seems to be sensitive to "TCP/IP" noise. In normal mode, using a 'normal' system, additional running tasks and services create TCP/IP traffic that upsets the Emergency room.
In Safe mode with Networking this is reduced to a minimum with mainly the browser accessing the device.
The sensitivity to browsers and browser versions is something that D-Link should have addressed a long time ago.

Failures I experienced before finding the working configuration included the following:
- Upgrade screen does not come up
- Upgrade screen shows but when clicking 'Send' after choosing the file nothing happens. Most of the time a 'Page not found' screen would be displayed immediately.
- Chrome shows '..uploading' in the status bar but router does not restart and, if restarted manually, the old firmware is still there. Nothing was burned.
- other browsers showed various, sometimes strange, screens but nothing was burned, resulting in the old firmware still being present.

Hope this will help some of you when using Emergency Room with DIR-615 Rev.E

It would be nice if someone from D-Link could provide links to all language/country specific Rev.E firmware versions.

Trikein

Re: DIR-615 Rev.E: How to use Emergency room to burn firmware
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »

Very nice post. I have a possible really dumb question...nevermind..it really was a dumb question. Doh! I know the process your talking about, I just didnt know it was called emergancy room, so I thought you were talking about a 3rd party app.

Emergency Recovery Mode
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:11:09 PM by FurryNutz »

henrypeter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:20:35 PM »

sorry for noob question, I flashed to dd-wrt and just wanna go back to stock one.

Thx for the detail post which just fit my need. But would like to know more as I still cant successfully flashed back and hope you could help.

With step 4 "Set computer to 192.168.0.2; Router is 192.168.0.1", would you please describ a little bit more detail as I set my network adpator to 192.168.0.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0. But I just could not get to 192.168.0.1 with my browser after step 5.

Thx in advance.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:46:08 PM by henrypeter »

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:12:26 PM »

@henrypeter

Is the router power button blinking orange? Did you manage to get it like this?

Are you using a wired connection? wireless doesn't work for emergency room.

henrypeter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:30:37 PM »

yes, i could get the power led (orange) blinking and connected thro the LAN cable.

but i never get to the 192.168.0.1 page to flash.

ps. i am running a E4 ver. (dont know it matters or not)

anyway, thx for your helping hands.

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »

Have you tried like mkaz suggested? With Windows in Safe Mode with Networking and Firefox as browser? On my D1 Safe Mode wasn't necessary and I don't know why E4 would be different, but it's worth a try.

henrypeter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 01:51:58 AM »

thx skello, I finally made it.

I followed those steps but something strange was that I had to reset the router with the power cord and LAN cable CONNECTED before I pin the reset button, but not disconnected as stated. While in both cases, I could get the blinking orange power LED....

Anyway, thx all for your help~

ps. my next task is to figure out why there will be connection lost when I use BT...

Cheers~~