• April 27, 2024, 11:43:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 1/2 gig missing space (Windows WinDirStat vs. DLink Volume Information  (Read 2990 times)

Blaq

• Level 1 Member

I'm running my DNS-325 as RAID 1 on two 3G drives. There's a large mismatch between free space reported by the NAS control panel and WinDirStat on my Windows machine.

• WinDirStat on my PC reports 1.09G used
  • the DLink Volume Information reports 1.49G used
  • DIR on my PC (Windows command line) reports 1.35G free.
  • the DLink Volume Information reports 1.26G free
;

So free space is similar, but there's something using up disk space that is invisible to Windows. I checked to ensure the NAS wasn't running any service or application that would use disk space:
FTP server Stopped
Add-ons None
AFP service Disabled
NFS service Disabled
Multimedia services No shares
uPnP AV server disabled
iTunes server disabled
Quota settings Disabled
Network shares Only Volume_1 defined
SMART test Pass
Applications
FTP/HTTP Downloads
Remote Backups
Local Backups
P2P Downloads
My Files
Amazon S3

All empty or disabled

What can explain the extra 400M used? BTW, I can SSH into the NAS if needed. Thanks!

ivan

• Level 8 Member

What version of windows?

Then there is the way some windows programs interact with Linux file systems and report how they report free and used space (several win directory and file system programs make the assumption that they will be reading a NTFS file system only).

Blaq

• Level 1 Member

Windows 7 and WinDirStat 1.1.2.80

ivan

• Level 8 Member

Just to check I installed win7 in a VM on our test machine and then installed WinDirStat and then used it to look at several of our NAS boxes.  I get the impression that it does not know how to represent the Ext3/4 file system correctly.

The other thing you could do is to activate the e-mail alert function and get it to send you the information.  That will give total disk space, amount used and amount free.  Also remember there is a difference between the way marketing represents disk capacity and the way it has always been represented (decimal or HEX values).