• April 19, 2024, 03:36:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Please help me! Going crazy trying to install.  (Read 6287 times)

alligus

• Level 1 Member
Please help me! Going crazy trying to install.
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:40:03 AM »

I am running XP and this is a dwa-160 B. Spent all day yesterday trying to get this adapter working with no luck. My PC says it has 2 usb 2.0 ports and says they are working properly...and in fact, every other usb device I own works when plugged in...but the hardware wizard AND the dlink installer say they cannot find it.
After several hours of checking to see if it could possibly be a driver problem on my computer, and after discovering that it installs just fine on another computer, I went and bought a new usb 2.0 5-port PCI card, installed it, device manager says it's working fine.....but the adapter STILL will not install. I've tried restarting, tried dowloading and installing the 220 setup from the dlink site.....nada.
Any clue what the problem could possibly be????

jysnmat

• Level 1 Member
Re: Please help me! Going crazy trying to install.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »

When you plug the DWA-160 in, does it say unknown device in the device manager under the system category.

alligus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:23:46 PM »

Here's what it's listed under when viewing devices by connection: KIDSCOMPUTER> ACPI multiprocessor PC> PCI Bus> Intel 82801 PCI Bridge 244E> Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host controller> USH root hub> Dlink DWA-160 Xtreme N Dual Band USB adapter (revB)
The dlink has the little yellow exclamation point over it that says it is not working properly.

When I try to fix the little yellow !, I get the Hardware Update Wizard, which says: Cannot install this hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware (lists dwa-160). An error occured during the installation of the device. A device attached to the system is not functioning.

BassMan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:56:08 AM »

For one, whatever USB port you use needs to be "high-power" (500mA).  Generally, only ports directly build-in to your motherboard support this (1/2 an amp of current).

Assuming you have HW:B, and a "high-power" USB port, on XP, the USB driver here should work *great*: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=1

jysnmat

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:54:42 AM »

Here's what it's listed under when viewing devices by connection: KIDSCOMPUTER> ACPI multiprocessor PC> PCI Bus> Intel 82801 PCI Bridge 244E> Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host controller> USH root hub> Dlink DWA-160 Xtreme N Dual Band USB adapter (revB)
The dlink has the little yellow exclamation point over it that says it is not working properly.

When I try to fix the little yellow !, I get the Hardware Update Wizard, which says: Cannot install this hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware (lists dwa-160). An error occured during the installation of the device. A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I have seen this issue with OEM built systems like Dell and lots of usb hardware in XP over the years all i can say is to uninstall from the device manager and reinstall the DWA driver while trying different usb ports if one did not work. OEM builder build their own or modify retail motherboard in order to save money. So sometime things just don't work like they should. I do not know if your system is an OEM built system or not but I just thought i let you know what i know of the issue.