• March 28, 2024, 09:16:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Thinking of making a change  (Read 16919 times)

klein

• Level 3 Member
Re: Thinking of making a change
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 05:38:16 PM »

hey cliff,

i use my 219P as a backup nas, i don't do sync and don't think it does but it does backups and will do incremental and delete files on the backup that aren't on the source anymore.  you could verify this by asking the question in the QNAP forums in the presales section, one of the experts there would know ...

i can't remember why i went with QNAP over synology but i did and am very happy with my decision .. obviously GRJ is happy with his synology ... i think the main thing is is the dlink will not work for you and i was in the same boat as you but didn't do my research right and bought the dlink first ...

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 05:25:23 AM »

Actually, in that comparison you reference, the Synology was significantly faster in the all important network access to it's internal drives.  What in this comparison made you think the QNAP was the better choice?

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

rilles

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 09:05:11 PM »

I have the DNS-323 and the Acer Easy Share with WHS.  Both are very capable with lots of support for plugins. 
I use the Acer for streaming movies and daily backups. The box is very fast compared to the DNS.
The DNS I use for monthly backups and power-down the drives when not in use.
I don't use RAID, so WHS is very nice for its JBOD setup and its software based duplication technology.

I bough the Acer after looking for a 4 bay box, the DNS-343 was more expensive and the other brands like QNAP and synology where much much expensive compared to the Acer.

govenatorx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 08:01:58 AM »

Anyone test the speeds of the 323 vs. the QNAP or Synology?  I saw the above graphs and am hoping to see how the 323 stacks up.  I have the 323 with 2 WD 2 tb green drives.  Is it worth an upgrade to the QNAP or Synology?  THanks.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 08:06:04 AM »

I have the DNS-323 and the Synology DS209.  The Synology blows the D-Link away as far as speeds and functionality.  Of course, it's also twice the price, but sometimes you do get what you pay for. :)

Cliff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 09:06:45 AM »

Did I msread the data on performance? Possible.

I really do appreciate all the great guidance and advice. If I may push your generosity a bit....

Does the Synology have a built in backup app? What I'm hoping to setup is either a PC NAS based incremental pull backup, or alternatively the Synology comes with piece of software that will run incremental backups on the PC's.

Synchronization would be nice, but isn't necessary.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »

There are a variety of backup methods available for the Synology.  It has the capability to run it's internal backup and backup the NAS to an attached USB drive or drives. 

For backups from PC's, I run a scheduled backup task on the PC using Beyond Compare.  Since the machine has to be on anyway, I find this to be the easy way.

Synology is going to release a vastly upgraded backup packages for their units this fall, but I don't know what it's capabilities will be.  If you have an rsync capable target, the Synology can backup to that device.

klein

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 09:11:39 AM »

hey goven, like GRJ said about the speeds, i have the QNAP 219P and 459 Pro and the speeds blow the 323 away but so they should as they have more memory and a faster processor and are also more money ....

hey cliff ... the QNAP has a built-in backup that uses rsync and will do incremental backups, you can backup to a usb or drive as well and you can also install a lot of different backup softwares like symantec backup exec, etc so you would be able to get what you are looking for out of the QNAP ... i am sure GRJ will also say you can get the same out of the Synology as they are in the same league with features, price, etc

Cliff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »

Thanks Klein. I should have clarified for the price of the NAS, I'm looking for a backup solution that is included and not an additional price.

I assume with the QNAP rsync runs on the PC?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 09:32:37 AM »

rsync runs on both ends to do a backup.

Cliff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »

Thanks again GRJ.

Damn, this is NOT an easy decision. Maybe I'll have to see which one is easily available locally to help me decide.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 09:49:52 AM »

I don't think you'll go wrong with either the Synology or QNAP products, you just have to look carefully at the models and determine which ones offer the features you want.

Cliff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 09:51:31 AM »

Would it fair to say the Synology 209 performs better with a more user friendly interface and the QNAP's advantage is an eSata port?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 09:56:32 AM »

Many Synology models come with an eSATA port, it so happens that the DS-209 did not have it.

Cliff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »

True. I'm just trying to compare two models that are similar in price.
Pages: 1 [2] 3