• March 29, 2024, 05:54:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: setting up an FTP server  (Read 3649 times)

velocci

• Level 2 Member
setting up an FTP server
« on: December 29, 2014, 09:28:38 AM »

Hi all, I have the Dlink DNS-323 and I'm trying to setup the ftp server on it but not working.  I am registered with dyndns.org and i can connect to my PC remotely, but not the ftp server.  i can access it using my local IP address from home, but can't do it from outside my home.  I have port forwarding setup on my router. I'm using port 21.  I can access it from home using ftp://123.123.123.123:4567 where 123.123.123.123 is the local IP address of the DNS-323 and 4567 is the port I originally set for port forwarding but then changed it to 21 cause I read somewhere it has to be set to 21.  so I don't know how it works with port 4567.  If I use my dyndns account, it doesn't work at all.  i'm using ftp://dyndns:4567 or ftp://dyndns:21 and neither one works.   what am i doing wrong?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: setting up an FTP server
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:49:57 AM »

Does it work without using dyndns? And 4567 is probably not the right port for external access unless you port forward to 4567 internal. Kind of strange to have that anyways. My Asus router dumps right off to the usb port if ftp is set up. No pet reconfigure needed.

velocci

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »

it doesn't work if I use ftp://ip:21 or ftp://ip:4567 where ip is my external ip address of my router.   keep in mind port 4567 just represents the port.  i'm not sepcifying the actual port i'm using. 

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 11:03:04 AM »

How have you set up your domain in dyndns.org?  You should be trying to access your DNS-323 using something like ftp://ftp.my.domain.com/ which should see the ftp server of the DNS-323 assuming you have forwarded the correct ports and opened them in the router firewall.

All dyndns.org does is translate your domain name to your dynamic WAN IP address.  You can try to access the DNS-323 from outside of your local network by using ftp://IP.address/ assuming you know your WAN IP address (use tracert -h 128 xmas.futile.net in a command window and use the IP address directly after your routers IP address).

velocci

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »

yes I have setup my domain in dyndns.org.  lets say its "mypc.dyndns.org".   so I open up a browser and type "ftp://mypc.dyndns.org:4567"?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 12:53:30 PM »

Yes, that should work if your router is setup correctly.  The other thing is that it will only work from outside your internal network which can be a problem is you don't have an independent network available that you can log on to (a friend's WiFi or a free WiFi network).

velocci

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »

i'm not sure if my router is setup correctly.  i'm using port 4567 as the external port and port 21 as the internal port.  is that the way it should be?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 09:14:32 AM »

My advice is to break the setup into manageable steps and verify functionality at each step...

1)  Get the ftp server running and verify LAN access
2)  Configure the router to permit remote access using standard ports and verify using the WAN ip
3) Test remote access using DynDNS
4) Configure as required using non-standard ports or for passive ftp.

Please note that I am recommending you configure for standard ports and test that as the first remote access step - using non standard ports will more often than not fail because of the router/firewall at the ftp client side - once you have confirmed access with the standard ports you can move on to non standard ports or passive ftp as desired.

FWIW - if you search this form for my older posts, there should be one with a more detailed procedure for configuring ftp that I have provided here.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.