• April 18, 2024, 07:16:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DES-1228P Basic Trouble Shooting  (Read 8698 times)

markv

DES-1228P Basic Trouble Shooting
« on: October 11, 2008, 11:16:30 AM »

Does the ip address of the switch have to be on the same sub-net as the devices connected to it in order to work correctly? I understand that you need to be on the same sub-net to manage it but does it matter for anything else?

I'm having some random connectivity issues with a new 1228p and I'd like to rule out a few reasons as to why.

Thanks.

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: DES-1228P Basic Trouble Shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:31:14 AM »

Nope, in fact it is best practice to put the DES-1228P or any switch on a different addressable network then your computers to avoid having a curious user find a login and start guessing passwords.
non progredi est regredi

markv

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:39:51 AM »

Thanks Fatman. In that case I'm guessing I have a defective switch. When I power it up everything is OK and then a few minutes later everything looses connection. VOIP phones report "No Service", workstations can't log in to the domain, etc. When I swap it with a standard non-POE switch everything works fine.
Pinging the switch returns erratic response times (40, 80, 60ms - sometimes no response).

So far I've updated the firmware and reset it to factory defaults.
Is there anything else I should look at before I send it back?

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 12:58:40 PM »

Not really, call in to BCS (business Class Support) Support at 1 877 354 6555 and they will walk you through the basics and issue an RMA if they feel the switch is defective.

The erratic response times tell me the switch isn't completely kaput, my first suspicion would be that you have some sort of storm and that the other switch has some sort of STP or storm control enabled.  However I don't know what your network looks like so this is more an indication of the people I see who leave such problems running than of your network.
non progredi est regredi

RogerStrong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 06:16:10 PM »

DES-1228P Basic Trouble Shooting:

- Are all the lights red?

- No?  How about now?

- Yes?  Congratulations!  Your DES-1228P is behaving normally.  Write up an RMA and send it in for repair.

- You may want to take the time to write another for the replacement, and it's replacement too.  And of course for any other DES-1228Ps you may have.  They're not dead yet?  Have you checked in the last five minutes?

Lest anyone thinks this is an exaggeration or out of line, check out the "DES-1228P all lights red on switch" thread.