• April 25, 2024, 07:40:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HELP FOR PROPER SETUP OF DSL320B WHEN USED WITH DIR655!  (Read 13686 times)

lakis

HELP FOR PROPER SETUP OF DSL320B WHEN USED WITH DIR655!
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:09:35 AM »

I have managed to get my new DSL320b modem and DIR655 router working OK! more or less!
What I would like to do is do away with DHCP and any Firewall on the DSL320B and let DIR655 do all this.
At the moment DSL320B is connected to service provider Forthnet in Athens Greece Dynamic IP As PPoa/PPoE
VPI : 8
VCI : 35
Connection Type : PPPoA VC-Mux
And DIR 655 connected TO ETHERNET PORT ON DSL320B.
I have breifly browsed the forum and found mention of the DSL320B needed to be configured in1483 Bridged IP LLC mode when used with DIR655.
Could someone supply more info on this!
Many thanks!

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: HELP FOR PROPER SETUP OF DSL320B WHEN USED WITH DIR655!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:01:28 AM »

You're not going to be able to do that, as the 655 can not authenticate PPPoA, only PPPoE.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »

The DIR is not a ADSL modem (PPPoA). You can only put the modem in bridging mode. That should do most of the tricks you want.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:25:10 PM »

You can't bridge the PPPoA modem. The 655 lacks the authentication method needed.
The best you could hope for is the use the 2320B as a routed bridge. This would allow the modem to continue to auth to the ATM network and still provide "most" of the functionality of a true bridge.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:32:19 PM »

Sorry, that's what I meant to say. With my Speedtouch they call it 'Bridge'. So the ISP IP is given to the DIR (no authentification needed). This will disable all wifi, VOIP functionality on the modem though.

lakis

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 11:22:21 PM »

So to make a long story short will bridging work?
if not what is the proper way to set up the 2 units?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 01:01:33 AM »

Don't know the modem, so you need to check the manual on that one. Normally you assign a static IP for the DIR on the modem, disable DHCP on the modem and let the DIR router handle the IP DHCP requests. Should work, like any other modem/router combination.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:28:03 AM »

you're forgetting the authentication to the DSlam. I'm sure you're familiar with PPPoE and PPPoA? PPPoAtm requires the authentication to happen over RJ11 (phone), this being said the modem has to be your authentication device. To do that, NAT ( i believe, don't quote me cause they may have changed this) needs to have it's NAT enabled. The DHCP server in the modem isn't the problem, it's the NAT. However we offer a routed bridge function, I can look in to the device to see how this is done.

(note: I was just informed that you can dial PPPoE in to the 2320B then have that use the same credentials to dial PPPoA to the ATM network. I've not seen this personally, but I can check in to it.).

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 09:45:14 AM »

you're forgetting the authentication to the DSlam. I'm sure you're familiar with PPPoE and PPPoA? PPPoAtm requires the authentication to happen over RJ11 (phone), this being said the modem has to be your authentication device. To do that, NAT ( i believe, don't quote me cause they may have changed this) needs to have it's NAT enabled. The DHCP server in the modem isn't the problem, it's the NAT. However we offer a routed bridge function, I can look in to the device to see how this is done.

(note: I was just informed that you can dial PPPoE in to the 2320B then have that use the same credentials to dial PPPoA to the ATM network. I've not seen this personally, but I can check in to it.).

Dslam authentication is taken care of by the modem, after which it will pass on the ISP IP unmanaged to the DIR655. Double NAT usually does not cause too much problems, since that part is (on Speedtouch modens at least) also disabled by the bridge setting. But it could be different on this specific modem though...

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 12:04:48 PM »

LOL, we're arguing the same point. My stand point (as a D-Link tech) is NO double NAT. We're taught thats a no no.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 12:08:58 PM »

LOL, we're arguing the same point. My stand point (as a D-Link tech) is NO double NAT. We're taught thats a no no.

You're right, double NAT is a no-no in order to avoid those tricky issues that are too hard to solve (how many of the support crew really dig the essence of NAT and what goes on inside... :) )

So no argument there: avoid double NAT, only mess with it when you know that it can cause serious issues (don't come complaining the router's no good).

bananaman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 05:37:46 PM »

I have breifly browsed the forum and found mention of the DSL320B needed to be configured in1483 Bridged IP LLC mode when used with DIR655.
Could someone supply more info on this!
Here's the D-Link support document describing how to set this up.

wulle

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 03:25:59 PM »

Hi guys,

I have the same problem with my 655 and 320B. Using the setup below it still does not work!

ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dir_products/dir-655/BeThere_config.pdf

I also followed the instructions form Ru-Fi and russell:

After the modem has been bridged, go ahead and use the CD again and select PPPoE and type your DSL username/password. -Or- login to the router @ 192.168.0.1. Select the "Manual Internet Connection Setup" option. Select PPPoE and type your username/password. Power cycle the modem and router and this should allow you to get online.

I am using the built-in ISP profile for Nildram Internet on my DSL-320B modem; it connects successfully with a connection type: PPPoA VC-Mux; and yet that connection type is NOT AVAILABLE from within the DIR-655 router Manual Internet Settings. In the BeThere PDF is states to use the LLC PPPoA?! Which one do I have to use LLC or VC?

Any help is really appreciated!

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »

1. ADSL uses either PPPoA (poit to point over ATM) or PPPoE (point to point over ethernet)
2. You cannot use the DIR with PPPoA, only MODEMS use this. PPPoE is supported by the DIR. BUT: you don't have a PPPoE connection. You said it yourself  ;)
3. If you modem is PPPoA you just want to make a transparant bridge of your modem (i.e. removing all router functionality, if it allows this, look it up on internet or ask your provider), the router should be setup to receive a "static IP" or "Dynamic IP".
So forget about PPPoE, the incoming PPPoA signal from your ISP needs to handled by the ISP modem (again: the DIR is a router, not a modem)

bluenote

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 06:22:26 PM »

This *does* sound like an attempt to make a square peg fit into a round hole. ?
Why not get the proper hardware?  Or am I misunderstanding.
Pages: [1] 2