• April 24, 2024, 04:45:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: need help with dir 655 router  (Read 10416 times)

panda349

• Level 2 Member
need help with dir 655 router
« on: October 06, 2010, 07:55:49 AM »

first off  i was using the cd to install router to my computer that has high speed internet.  when it got to the part about disconnecting cable from modem i did that and of course i was disconnected from the internet.  so i tried connecting the router by using the guide and not the cd and when everything was connected properly i tried to sign onto AOL and I was getting messages about not finding internet connection.  I am using Windows 7 and this router is compatible with Windows 7  so now what do i do to try to fix this problem?  I can connect to the internet with just the modem but cant connect to internet with router connected to the modem.  do i have to reset my modem or something.  i dont have the cd for the modem  it wasnt sent with the modem.  this is a replacement modem.  my other modem stopped working.  should i call AOL but i dont think they can help me with the router setup.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
Re: need help with dir 655 router
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »

Hi panda349,

I don't understand at all.

I also used the CD to setup the Router and it worked just fine. I also lost the Internet during the setup, but that is normal, because you don't need to be connected to the Internet to set up the Router. After the setup is finished running I was connected to the Internet after a reboot of the computer.

Post back with all Hardware Devices being used for the Internet.
Cable Modem or FIOS Router
Router
Computer and its operating system including 32-bit or 64-bit versions.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

panda349

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 01:55:03 PM »

i have an AOL DSL modem.  I try to sign onto AOL and i get a message saying cannot connect to internet or cannot find DSL modem.  My desktop computer was the only device connected to the router and the modem.   I want to have my wireless netbook connected to the router and also a mac computer.  When those are configured for the router wont I be able to use my desktop computer anymore?  Or do I have to disconnect my desktop from the router everything I want to use my high speed internet?   I am using Windows 7 32 bit.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 02:59:18 PM »

i have an AOL DSL modem.  I try to sign onto AOL and i get a message saying cannot connect to internet or cannot find DSL modem.  My desktop computer was the only device connected to the router and the modem.   I want to have my wireless netbook connected to the router and also a mac computer.  When those are configured for the router wont I be able to use my desktop computer anymore?  Or do I have to disconnect my desktop from the router everything I want to use my high speed internet?   I am using Windows 7 32 bit.

Hi panda349,

Is that Windows 7 Starter version 32-bit or 7 Ultimate 32-bit version? Windows 7 is open-ended.

What is the Hardware Revision of the Router?

THE AOL Modem has a login page for its settings and information to reenter all information for AOL. The DSL Modem must sign in, into AOL for you to connect to the Internet.

You should still be able to do it, if the Desktop is wired to the Router, in turn connected to the DSL Modem.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

panda349

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 04:02:14 PM »

its Windows 7 upgrade Home Premium.  I recently had my computer fixed and I got back yesterday(Tuesday) and I am able to go online with computer connected to the modem.  Don't know why I got a message saying cant find internet connection or can't find DSL modem.  where do i find hardware revision of router?   
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:05:22 PM by panda349 »

panda349

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 04:16:36 PM »

I dont have the router connected right now while using my desktop computer.  and there is no AOL modem log in page  where i sign on has for dialup as well as broadband  its the sign on page not a modem log in page.

panda349

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »

i really dont know what i'm doing.  Should i reset the router and start again.  Should I call AOL but i think that will be a waste of time.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 09:19:10 PM »

its Windows 7 upgrade Home Premium.  I recently had my computer fixed and I got back yesterday(Tuesday) and I am able to go online with computer connected to the modem.  Don't know why I got a message saying cant find internet connection or can't find DSL modem.  where do i find hardware revision of router?   

Hi panda349,

In order to find the Revision for the Router, the easy way, is simply to log into the Router's Settings.

http://192.168.0.1/

It tells you the Hardware Revision and Firmware version you are using.

Hardware Revision is also on the bottom of the Router.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 02:40:50 AM »

Hi panda349,

In order to find the Revision for the Router, the easy way, is simply to log into the Router's Settings.

It tells you the Hardware Revision and Firmware version you are using.

Hardware Revision is also on the bottom of the Router.

Or use http://dlinkrouter

DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:59:38 AM »

Or use http://dlinkrouter

Hi EddieZ,

dlinkrouter is the name of the Router, and using Internet Explorer 8, the Webpage cannot be displayed.

panda349

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 10:20:10 AM »

its an A4 I looked on the bottom of the router

panda349

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »

i have a question.  I have a 2.4Ghz cordless phone connected to the modem could that be why when i have the router and modem connected that its not connecting to internet when I try to sign onto AOL

panda349

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 11:25:49 AM »

maybe I need one of those xtreme N desktop adapters for my computer?  maybe thats why its not connecting to the internet.  But I can connect to the internet with just my modem.   I don't know

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »

i have a question.  I have a 2.4Ghz cordless phone connected to the modem could that be why when i have the router and modem connected that its not connecting to internet when I try to sign onto AOL

Hi panda349,

What is the brand of modem for DSL that you are referring to?

You can't have a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone connected to the modem, when you are using a Wireless Router connecting to the Modem at the same time. The Cordless Phone kills the Router's Wireless Capabilities. You need to move the base of the Phone out of the same room. You can use Cordless Phone itself, near the computer and Router, just not the base.

If that is the only phone outlet, in the house, you need to install another Outlet for the phone in a different room.

mickeyfinn

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »

I would begin checking you can get to the config page of the router first:

Log in and check you are seeing the Network Status as established.  Also note your firmware version here (it will come in handy later).  If you do not have "established" consistently, troubleshoot with your ISP until you do.

Once you have "established" status, plug your computer into port 1 of the DIR-655 and unplug your VOIP phone for now.  See if your internet works.  If so, plug your VOIP phone into another port on the DIR-655.  If not, respond on this thread.
Pages: [1] 2