• April 19, 2024, 10:52:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DIR-655 CONNECTION PROBLEMS FIXED !!!  (Read 46884 times)

jasonxe

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-655 CONNECTION PROBLEMS FIXED !!!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 12:10:35 AM »

when is the recall?

WatMang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 03:07:16 AM »

I am soo dissapointed after reading the first five pages of this forum. I spent months reading about this router before I purchased it for 100 bucks and bought the extended waranty for another 20 bucks from Office Depot. I see my mistake was not joining this forum in the beginning before I purchased it.

On another note, I understand that the mods including the suck-ups that you find in every forum are doing their best to accomodate the members of this community. After all it's not their fault, hence the manufacturer's fail and lack of support. I have seen them default to giving out their customer service number as a last result including telling their members they aren't a support depot.

Lastly, I came here for help but I can see now that this probably won't end well, hence a time consuming boat of fail. I will now call their customer service and see how good or bad it actually is but I won't be running a marathon. This might not even be a choice after reading all of your threads including the last five pages of fail.

Farewell and good luck to all of you who ventured into a whatever mode of fail.

p.s. You know who you are, "The Mods in this forum" really need to develop better people skills. Locking threads on the ones who feed you and the company that you represent. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I'm out!!!!!!

dbz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 07:01:05 AM »

I have the following routers and its also listed in the order reliability/ease of use to wasted time trying to fix issue.

Asus RT-N16
Asus RT-N12
Asus W520GU
Linksys Wrt54g
Netgear WNDR3500
Netgear WNDR834b v2
Netgear WNDR3300
D-Link DIR-655

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »

Hi,

No DLink fanboy here, but for once I waited to flash a firmware update for a product, and it has saved me.  Altho I must say I do experience moments of firmware envy, not having the latest firmware is making me crazy....maybe I have a firmware addiction...and if you are reading this, then maybe you do too !

My FW 1.21 has been very stable.  I keep it powered thru my UPS, (also the cable modem) and I even run my Vonage box thru it.  I may have to add a Gig-E switch for more wired ports...hopefully that will just be plug and plug and play.

I truly feel for those of you who have been badly affected by the firmware debacle.  Been there with an older netgear product back a few years ago....suxor'd then...suxors now.

Dave
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

jasonxe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 11:50:28 AM »

Disable QoS Engine in your router in the advance tab. After suffering a couple of months of seeing Request Time Out, disabling QoS fixed it.

Hopefully it works for everyone here as it done for me.

Images before and after

Bad:http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/531/baddlinkdir655router.jpg (was me messing with the settings cause nothing worked)
Great:http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7077/capture2322.jpg
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:53:50 AM by jasonxe »

Krusher

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 02:56:24 PM »

If you're having problems with the QoS Engine; I would report that as a separate topic.  It's supposed to work--it's the best feature of this router IMO.

pender

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 03:35:33 AM »

Netgear WNDR3700 tops the list but it is expensive.

For DD WRT, try to avoid Linksys Dual Band 11n routers because they are hit or miss - hence all the scrapped models.  Configure DD-WRT QoS with the QoS generator application - change language from Polish to english.

11g
WL-520GU (affordable, great wireless performance, removable RP-SMA antenna, USB, also runs tomato)
WRT54GL (more expensive but fewer features)

2.4Ghz 11n
RT-N16 (128MB RAM, 32MB Flash, 5Ghz chipset but 5Ghz permantently disabled, Great 2.4Ghz performance)
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31058-asus-rt-n16-gigabit-n-router-reviewed?showall=&start=4
RT-N13U (Excellent Wireless Performance and great range)
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_wireless/Itemid,200

Dual Band 11n
WRT320N (Selectable Dual Band because of single radio)
Used WRT610N or WRT600N can work well in DD-WRT will simulatenous freq functionality (check Hardware versions)

Winchester

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 02:01:56 PM »

I really have enjoyed my DIR-655. But the reason I purchased it was to manage WEB pages and hours of access. I have children and I like the additional security. Plus, I shut down their internet in the evening through the night. However, Secure-Spot is and always had issues. It seems to have gotten really horrible the last 6 months. Right now the feature is turned off because who wants every WEB page to load 30 second later or time out. None of us do. So, I leave you with this, I'm looking at a new router already to replace my DIR-655. I'm also letting my securespot run out next month.

Shame, I really had no issues with DLink Dir-655 product. SecureSpot has ruined it.

pender

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »

Hey, you can manage your websites externally using OpenDNS, and configuring your 655's DNS servers to use the OpenDNS servers instead of your ISP's DNS servers.  Now all your LAN clients will use OpenDNS to resolve IP addresses and web sites will be filtered.  You can not control time slotsand all blocked websites will be blocked for all users but it is a free option that works with every router.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4556123_bad-web-sites-using-opendns.html

mongoosenco

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 04:39:37 AM »

I also have had issues with the DIR-655 router ever since I upgraded to 1.3X.  I had to downgrade back to 1.21 to get everything to work.  I am a network administrator and there is no reason a firmware update should cripple a network like the 1.3X has.  It is a little bit of a pain to downgrade to 1.21, but I suggest anyone having issues do just that.  Use google and you should be able to find what you need.

The Cook

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 02:43:23 PM »

I've had the dir-655 a4 revision for about a couple months ago and started out with the shipped firmware.  Unfortunately, I flashed it before finding out about the metric trailerload of problems with the newest FW revisions.

I've had disconnects as frequent as one per hour with the 1.34NA revision.  strike one.  I've also encountered random reboots.  strike two.  And then there was the unusual timeouts on random webpages.  that's strike three.

so I went on a hunt to find answers and I came across the 1.34EU version.  So I tried that version.  Hey guess what?  more problems.  and these were centered around the DNS relay function.  If I disabled it, only one connected PC received web traffic.

so I tossed that version out the window and flashed in the 1.34 WW beta 08 firmware.

If the router isn't absolutely stable for the next two weeks, I'm just going to take the 655 back to where I bought it and demand a refund.  That money will be put towards a company that has dd-wrt already loaded onto their routers.

I may be picky, but I also support networks for a living.  And as such I expect rock-solid stability.  Until I see a magnitude of an improvement on the firmware end of things, I will simply tell people to stay away from D-link.

dan ryan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 08:41:15 PM »

This is my FIRST and LAST post to D-Link.  Touché!  Good Job stealing my cash!!  Shame on me for taking the advice of a friend and not doing my own research.  All I can is, never again.  Your DIR-655 is junk.  
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:05:12 PM by dan ryan »

The Cook

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 04:07:54 AM »

hey guess what.  I'm still having problems with this router.  It may be great hardware and have an excellent set of features but the fact is, any firmware past 1.21 is a complete waste of time.  connection drops, unnecessary slowdowns, buggy wireless support, and let's not forget the asinine decision of disallowing downgrades.  This all add up to me simply taking this thing back and replacing it with a buffalo netfinity router that comes with DDWRT already installed.

that's right, ddwrt.  a firmware that's actually supported by a dedicated team instead of this schlock dlink has saddled us with.  It's pretty clear that dlink simply does not care about any worthwile support.

I gave you a chance dlink.  and you stuck a knife in my back.  Everyone that I deal with will be told to never buy anything dlink.  doesn't matter if it's a network card, network attached storage, router, you name it.  dlink is going to be a name synonymous with herpes by the time i'm finished.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:10:04 AM by The Cook »

jenw72

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 05:18:28 AM »

I just bought the dlink router and I have had nothing but problems. I had an old cheap(which is what I am using now since dlink is acting up) belkins router and never had a problem. The only reason I bought a new one is because I wanted to upgrade to a stronger router to handle more of what I got.
I am with you guys and I am taking the dlink router back and getting something else. Any router that you have to work so hard on is SO not worth it.

The Cook

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 03:23:37 AM »

I grabbed myself a cisco/linksys e2000 a few days ago.  It cost a little more than the dlink, and as soon as I updated it with the latest firmware it's been absolutely solid.  Not to mention there's a tomatoUSB build for the e2000.

I might try either ddwrt or tomatoUSB down the road but as of now, i'm much happier.  Simply because linksys actually fixes bugs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3