• March 28, 2024, 11:57:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Battery Checker Daemon Failed  (Read 28843 times)

jstn

• Level 1 Member
Re: The Battery Checker Daemon Failed
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »

An update on this scenario:

We rebooted the SAN and the battery checker daemon did not pick up the battery, so clearly it is defective.

I have put in a support call with D-Link and they will RMA the battery - that's good. HOWEVER, support is demanding that we send in the defective battery first, before they will send us a new battery - that's NOT good.

How can a company sell an SMB SAN product and expect their customers to bring the majority of their IT resources to remove an old battery and then have to bring it down *again* to install the new battery?

I've tried to contact my support representative

Chenda Keo
RMA Coordinator
D-Link Systems, Inc.

However, I have not heard from him in a few days.  ???

What's the deal?

Justin

jstn

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 06:50:09 AM »

Another update:

D-Link agreed to send us the new battery so we do not need to bring down the SAN twice. I have received it this morning and will be installing it today. Hopefully this resolves the issue...

Justin

jstn

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 04:01:12 PM »

Just brought the business down, swapped the new battery in and same problem. Stuck in write-thru mode...

I'll be on the phone with support tomorrow! >:(

justin

jstn

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 06:35:50 AM »

The battery charged over night and the system is now in Write Back mode, as expected.

So it looks like, for anyone who runs into this problem in the future, you will most likely need to replace the system battery if you have this battery checker daemon problem.

Justin

NetworkSIN

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 10:16:33 AM »

I cannot fully agree with a simple battery change that is the issue here without elaborating a bit.

Likely causes:

1. The battery was defective from day 1 (seems like this is most likely).
2. The board circuitry going to the battery is defective (also seem likely).
3. The firmware is at fault. (with Dlink's track record with this particular SAN, this is also likely and what I believed the situation was all along, hence the reason I did not contact Dlink the first few times.)

If cannot simply be that if you get this error, that you need to replace the battery without stipulating that the need to replace the battery is because it was defective to begin with.

In my situation, Dlink has agreed with my assumptions above.

From Dlink Support:
Regarding the battery issue, we can see some events that indicate the battery could be successfully charged.  There are two possible causes:
1. The battery has an intermittent problem, so sometimes it can charge correctly and other times it cannot be fully charged correctly.
2. The controller PCBA has an intermittent problem with the circuit that communicates with the battery
It is difficult to understand the exact cause based only on the information in the Event Log.  As a temporary step, we recommend that you replace the battery and see if the problem is still existing after the replacement.

My Response to this is:

1. That is an observation, not a technical diagnosis.
2. This is possible, if so, DLink should step up and honor their 3 year warranty on defective parts!

mrdesignit

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 10:10:24 AM »

Does this particular issue cause your system to crash when trying to make adjustments to volume sizes?  I have the same Battery Daemon error but am having DLink investigate this issue.  They have not gotten back with me on what the diagnostics is.  Just wondering if any user had the unit crash during this error?

Thanks
Pages: 1 [2]