• April 19, 2024, 08:32:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Which WD drives work with the DNS-323? The "Stickies" are out of date....  (Read 4768 times)

PlanetEarth

• Level 1 Member

I've read the "stickies" on WD "supported" drives, but the information is out of date in both articles. (Newegg.com no longer several of the models I tested from the "supported drives" article.)

I was looking to buy a DNS-323, and I'd rather use WD drives, specifically, the Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB SATA 3.0Gb drive (5-year warranty). I'd rather not have to get a Seagate drive (they're having problems with several models right now), and I'm unsure of Samsung, thanks to one I just bought that isn't working properly.

Can I stay with WD for the DNS-323, and if so, which of their Caviar Black drives can I get?

Thanks!

Steve

grixx

• Level 1 Member
Re: Which WD drives work with the DNS-323? The "Stickies" are out of date....
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 02:32:20 AM »

IMHO you only have to look at the sector size of your drive in question. If this is 512bytes you should be safe. If you buy a drive with 4kbytes sectors (aka 'advanced formatting') then I'd suggest to read the according threads. There is lots of information on how to deal with them properly in the DNS-323.

But for the sake of simpleness just stick with "old fashioned" drives and you're OK.

scaramanga

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 02:44:42 AM »

It's not just the new 4K technology drive. There are other considerations if you intend to use RAID.
Read about TLER/CCTL/ERC here.
DNS-323 HW Rev. C1 FW 1.08 fun_plug 0.5
2 x Western Digital WD10EARS-00Y5B1 in Standard mode
(LLC changed to 5 minutes. Partitions aligned to 4K boundary)

PlanetEarth

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 08:40:41 PM »

Thanks. If the responses I got didn't conflict with each other, I might actually feel better.  ;)

From what I read about the TLER issue (thanks for the link!), it appears not one of the manufacturers cares about TLER (or its ilk). So...I guess I shouldn't worry...?

WD's specs for the WD7501AALS mention nothing about TLER, though it specifically notes: "Desktop / Consumer RAID Environments - WD Caviar Black Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications (Raid-0 / RAID-1)." (WD states that for "business" use, you should use their other drives.)

No mention at all about "advanced formatting" in the specs or the product manual.

Of course, none of this really answers my question. Thanks anyway.

Steve

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 11:30:51 PM »

Thanks. If the responses I got didn't conflict with each other, I might actually feel better.  ;)

From what I read about the TLER issue (thanks for the link!), it appears not one of the manufacturers cares about TLER (or its ilk). So...I guess I shouldn't worry...?

WD's specs for the WD7501AALS mention nothing about TLER, though it specifically notes: "Desktop / Consumer RAID Environments - WD Caviar Black Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications (Raid-0 / RAID-1)." (WD states that for "business" use, you should use their other drives.)

No mention at all about "advanced formatting" in the specs or the product manual.

Of course, none of this really answers my question. Thanks anyway.

Steve

If you check the specs it says that there 1,465,149,168 sectors.  If you multpily that by 512 you get 750,156,374,016 bytes which tells me that it uses 512 byte sectors. Yes TLER can be problem but it mostly shows up if you are starting to have a drive problem.

Terry

scaramanga

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 02:32:05 AM »

There's one more thing, probably a non-issue if you go with the caviar black (I had to deal with it since I went for a green) - I'm talking about the LLC issue. There's a recap here: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=11682

btw, I think (but don't know if for a fact) that these WD black drives are probably an overkill in a box like the DNS-323. HDD speeds are not the bottle neck.
DNS-323 HW Rev. C1 FW 1.08 fun_plug 0.5
2 x Western Digital WD10EARS-00Y5B1 in Standard mode
(LLC changed to 5 minutes. Partitions aligned to 4K boundary)

PlanetEarth

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 05:41:04 AM »

Thanks! You've both helped!

Yes, the Blacks may be a bit "overkill", but right now, they're less than $10 more than the Blues, so I figured it was worth it, if only for 1) the peace of mind, and, 2) the ability to use them somewhere else later, if necessary. Can't really go wrong with a five-year warranty!

Steve