• April 26, 2024, 11:07:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Which hard drive is "better" (more reliable & compatible) to get?  (Read 3728 times)

perfectdark

• Level 2 Member

Western Digital Caviar Green (WD20EADS) 2000GB (2TB) SATA 3 Gb/s 32MB (OEM) $179.99 CAD
or
Hitachi Deskstar HD32000 IDK/7K Internal Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA-3G $159.99 ($20 mail-in-rebate)

The_Tango

• Level 1 Member
Re: Which hard drive is "better" (more reliable & compatible) to get?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:48:26 AM »

Not exactly what you are asking for but check out:

http://www.storagereview.com/1000.sr

This still has some useful information.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:25:29 AM »

Actually, I'd be considering 5400 RPM drives.  There is no performance advantage to 7200 RPM drives for this box and they consume more power and of course make things hotter inside.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

dgorini

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 09:49:45 AM »

I used to be a Seagate guy, but not anymore... Whatever you do, just avoid the Seagate LP drives. I had terrible experience with those failing after few days.

Currently I have 2 WD Green 1.5Tb and they are working flawlessly. Another DNS-323 I have 2 WD 500GB and they are also in perfect shape.

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »

I use to be a hard core Western Digital fan but when 2 of my 300GB VelociRaptor drives packed up within 6 months of each other I moved to Seagate, have 2x 1.5TB drives in my DNS-323 and one of these did pack up after 1 month due to heat issues, but the replacement has been in there for 6 months get trashed and am having no issues.
I have 2x 1TB Seagate ES drives in my destop running raid 1 and they seem to be working fine.
So go for the Seagate ES editions, any drive models ending is NS are targeted towards Enterprises which will last a lot longer but they are twice the price.
I think the 5400RPM drives only run 1.5GB SATA I not SATA II, but correct me if I'm wrong.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:39:56 AM »

Actually, 1.5ghz interface is more than sufficient for this NAS, so even if that is true, it doesn't make any difference in this context. ;)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.