• March 28, 2024, 03:56:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 One drive is down- Data Recovery help pls  (Read 2815 times)

gg22

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 One drive is down- Data Recovery help pls
« on: September 06, 2019, 06:49:33 PM »

Hi guys,

i had used Dlink  DNS 323 a few years. two slots for two 2 T DRIVE.. recently one slot light change from blue to orange. i check admin portal it ask me format this drive.   i thought maybe 2T drive almost 0 free space cause this issue.  i have not any idea about it now. it used to work fine. the other 2T slot is fine with blue light and everything ok. 

anyone can help me to get this back normal.. lots of important things on this 2 T drive.

please . help. thanks very much
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 12:55:59 PM by gg22 »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: DNS-323 One drive is down- Data Recovery help pls
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 01:49:51 PM »

How did you set up the drives at the beginning, RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD or something else?

If it was RAID 1 then you have a good chance of recovering your data,  Anything elst then the safe way is to reformat the drive and restore from your latest tested backup.

gg22

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 07:41:54 AM »

Hi there,

i did RAID 1 i remembered. what is next step to recover.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 02:59:00 PM »

Good, you are lucky because both of the disks should have the same data on them.

The next thing is to make a backup of your data (can be to a computer with enough free space or a USB drive).  Then format the drive in the unit and, if all goes well allow it to rebuild the RAID 1 array.

If there is a problem with the formatting you most probably have a drive with a defect, in which case replace it with a new one of the same size, format it and allow it to rebuild the RAID array.

Everything should then be up and running again.

gg22

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 11:06:50 PM »

The problem is how can i do backup. one drive is down, it ask me to format it.   can not read data from it.  it showing "HARD DRIVE CONFIGURATION:
Your new second hard drive will now be formatted. The existing hard drive will not lose any data." i do not want to format it, all data is on it but can not read.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 02:52:12 AM »

RAID 1 consists of two disks that have exactly the same data on each one.  If you have one 'bad' disk in a RAID 1 array it is possible to remove, after switching of the unit, and replace it with a good disk of the same size.  When the unit is powered on again it will, if restore RAID array is selected, format the new drive and copy all the data from the 'good' disk over to it - you do not lose any data.

gg22

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 05:21:11 PM »

as your step:

1: i have to disk, one is not working , always ask me to format it, so i done your one step to do switch each disk into different slot on NSA
2: i power up it then it showing " format one disk" which one, the bad disk still not working and required format.

what do you mean "RAID 1 consists of two disks that have exactly the same data on each one. " same data?

so what is next? please be advised.  thanks very much

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 08:14:14 PM »

Now you really do have a problem.

I did not say that you should change the slot the disks were in  because doing that will break the software RAID 1.

Now you need a few tools.  First you need a USB/SATA caddy or adapter with external power supply, then if your computer has a DVD drive you need to download a live Linux ISO and burn it to a DVD disk (if you don't have a DVD drive then you will need to make a bootable USB stick and change the bios of the computer to boot from a USB stick), you will also need a 2 TB USB disk drive.

Now turn off the NAS and remove the 'good' drive and insert it into the the USB/SATA caddy or adapter.  Boot your computer with the live Linux DVD or USB stick, plug in the USB/SATA mounted drive and all going well you should be able to see your data on the NAS drive.  You can then copy the data to another USB disk drive.

Once you have your data copied to a USB drive you can then replace the disk in the caddy or adapter (eject the caddy/adapter before unplugging it) with the 'bad' disk.  Plug it back into the computer and check if you can see any of the data.  If you can't see any data or Linux reports bad disk  you will need to get a replacement disk.

When you have two good disks plug them into the NAS and do a RAID 1 setup by formatting them and then restoring your data from the USB disk you made.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 01:54:18 AM »

As an addendum to the above message.

The USB/SATA adapter I use is, https://www.amazon.co.uk/External-Docking-Station-Charging-Adapter/dp/B01N9M2UHW  get it from amazon in your country for the correct power adapter.

USB hard disks - your decision,  https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Elements-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B06W55K9N6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1E4PYJ0BIEMA6&keywords=2tb+usb+disk&qid=1569570215&s=computers&sprefix=2tb+usb+disk%2Ccomputers%2C191&sr=1-4

The Linux ISO I would recommend either Linux Mint or ZorinOS   http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php  or  http://zorin-os.com/index.html

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 05:33:37 AM »

Wouldn't it be easier to replace the bad drive with a new working one and let the RAID rebuild itself?  He knows which one is bad, just buy another of the same size and replace it.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 10:02:06 AM »

That would only work if it was done at the beginning.  He apparently doesn't have a backup which, if anything goes wrong means potential total loss of all data.

The other thing I can't see if he did a drive swop in the NAS or not, therefore better to be safe than sorry (why people won't make backups of their important data I don't understand).