• April 18, 2024, 12:41:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Loosing connection to the network  (Read 5228 times)

Wansum

Loosing connection to the network
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:12:15 PM »

Ive upgraded my firmware to the latest version, im running on a vista 64b system. When i originally installed the drivers that came with it, nero wouldnt install or uninstall... i had to manually remove the program and get a reg cleaner to tidy it up. I downloaded the media server program for the 520 model and that hung my system up when it was looking through the folders. So ive resorted to sharing my media player files with the dsm 510... works really well but im loosing the network for some reason.

After i watch a show (about 40 mins) i try and cycle through the menus and the dsm looks like it locks up, it doesnt cycle past the last item in the list, i have 200 files on my pc, so if im watching video #1, when its over 40 mins later, i cant cycle past video #9. I end up turning it off and on again and it works... its tedious but it works. Any ideas on what i should for?

Thanks Wansum

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Loosing connection to the network
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 01:11:41 PM »

Ive upgraded my firmware to the latest version, im running on a vista 64b system. When i originally installed the drivers that came with it, nero wouldnt install or uninstall... i had to manually remove the program and get a reg cleaner to tidy it up. I downloaded the media server program for the 520 model and that hung my system up when it was looking through the folders. So ive resorted to sharing my media player files with the dsm 510... works really well but im loosing the network for some reason.

Thanks Wansum

Have you tried using Windows Media Player 11 as you media server? Do you have this same issue?

You can view this FAQ for WMP11 setup instructions:
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2692&question=DSM-120%20/%20DSM-320%20/%20DSM-320RD%20/%20DSM-510%20/%20DSM-520

Are you connected wirelessly or is it a wired connection?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

JonClaud

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 12:02:28 PM »

Try disabling the wireless on your DSM-510 and hardwire it to the router and see if you are experiencing the same problems. That way you can tell if it is media player or a wireless problem.

C4MP3R

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 06:39:45 AM »

i have a similar problem (on xp media center) with Nero 7 that shipped with the unit, but instead of cycling the unit i go to the server icon and access the menu to refresh the server list.  once i do the refresh everything is enabled and i can navigate normally.

i am also on a wireless network.  I should note that i am not experiencing any wireless network issues because the entire movie (2hrs) plays witout any issues.  it is only when i stop the movie or it ends (completes) that reveals that the server isn't "visible" to the dsm-510.  the server is running normally and sees the dsm-510 in its list of devices, but not vise versa.