• April 25, 2024, 11:23:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FTP server error with 1.02a firmware  (Read 8802 times)

markdenne

• Level 1 Member
FTP server error with 1.02a firmware
« on: March 24, 2009, 08:48:53 PM »

I think there may be a problem with the FTP server on the DNS-343 running 1.02a firmware. It appears to randomly corrupt files. If a DNS-323 is used instead to serve the same file to the same FTP client program on the same PC via the same network hub, no corruptions are detected. See test below:

I used a D-Link Gigabit hub (DGL-4500) and connected three devices to its LAN ports as follows:

Port 1: A Windows XP SP3 system running the coreFTP client.
Port 2: A DNS-343 running 1.02a firmware (RAID 5, EXT2, quad Seagate 1.5TB drives)
Port 3: A DNS-323 running 1.06 firmware (RAID 1, EXT2, dual Seagate 1TB drives)

I then wrote identical file systems, containing a variety of .avi files, to both the DNS-343 and the DNS-323.

If I use coreFTP to connect to the DNS-343, and I transfer to the client PC a .avi file of substantial size (generally > 80MB), the received file always _fails checksum validation (MDSummer used to validate). If I play the file in Windows Media Player, I see random corruptions, pixelation and dropout.

If I use coreFTP on the same computer to instead connect to the DNS-323 and I transfer the identical .avi file to the client PC, the received file _passes checksum validation. The file plays perfectly in Windows Media Player.

* FTP Client Configuration: Binary Mode. PASV mode on or off (makes no difference).
* Other FTP clients demonstrate same problem: Firefox, SmartFTP, BitKinex.
* No problems occur if the files are transferred using CIFS (mounted drive) connections. (Validates file integrity on the DNS-343). Problem is unique to FTP transfers from the DNS-343.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem?

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: FTP server error with 1.02a firmware
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »

Are your 1.5tb drives affected by the firmware update required for the seagate drives? I doubt its the FTP because its the same server as 1.02 and no issues have been seen like this before. My thought would be because of the way raid 5 writes data perhaps your drives are dropping out mid right missing chunks of data and in the end causing corruption. Did you update your drives yet?

markdenne

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »

See the last of the three points marked with a "*" in my post above :-)

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »

I will replicate here the best I can. I do not have 4x 1.5TB drives but you still did not verify what I asked in the previous post :).

markdenne

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 01:07:05 AM »

When I input the serial numbers of my 1.5TB drives into Seagate's diagnostic tool, it says all four drives are unaffected by the firmware problem and don't need to be patched.

However, for the avoidance of doubt, I repeated the test using two Maxtor 750Gb drives inserted into the top half of the same DNS-343 and configured for RAID 1. I found the same behavior as previously.

Specifically: Using four AVI test files ranging in size from 88MB to 594MB, all four files failed checksum tests after being transferred via the DNS-343's FTP server to a Windows XP client PC. None of the files would play in Windows Media Player after transfer. However, when the same files were transferred to the same PC over a mounted drive / CIFS connection, the checksums were correct and Windows Media Player successfully played the files.

As a corollary, I then took the two Maxtor disks out of the DNS-343 and inserted them into a DNS-323 (running 1.06 firmware). I repeated the test. All four files were transferred by the DNS-323's FTP server with correct checksums. I used the same FTP clients and checksum tools as identified previously.

In summary, the problem is unique to the DNS-343 and it is unrelated to either the use of Seagate 1.5TB drives, or the use of RAID 5 configurations.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:36:56 PM by markdenne »

markdenne

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:53:29 PM »

A response from DLink to these carefully constructed and reported tests would be appreciated. Again, files served by the DNS-343's FTP server fail checksum tests. The same files served by the DNS-323's FTP server (same client, same network, same files, same DLink router) are transferred without checksum errors.

markdenne

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »

I've now repeated the test using Seagate 750Gb drives.

I encountered the same error with two Seagate 750Gb drives in the DNS-343 configured in a RAID-1 configuration. Checksum testing on AVI files served by the DNS-343 over a dedicated Gigabit Ethernet LAN to a Windows XP FTP client, showed multiple single byte and multi-byte content corruptions.

When I moved the same drives to a DNS-323 and downloaded the same AVI files using the same FTP client system via the same Dlink 4500 Gigabit Ethernet hub, no checksum errors were detected. All files showed 100% integrity.

When will Dlink address this problem with the DNS-343 FTP server on 1.02 firmware?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:36:12 PM by markdenne »

uneeq

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 05:39:12 PM »

Hi...

Thought I'd add some information. Hopefully it adds value.

When uploading to my FTP (using the built in FTP Daemon), the files will have random corruption making them unusable.

When downloading from the FTP, what would ordinarily be a perfectly fine file, ends up corrupted.

I am using 4 x 1TB drives in Raid-5 configuration and NOT using the interim version of the firmware allowing 1.5TB drive raid functionality.

ramseyle

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »

I have a brand new DNS-321 with Hitachi 1TB drives with the same problem.  I have upgraded the firmware to 1.01.  Is there a fix on the horizon for this?

thomsondb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »

I am running the 1.02 with the deskstar 1TB drives getting the exact same problem.

I am transfering 2.3 gig m4v files.  The unit was only about 3 months old when I submitted the case.  I use the native client in both windows XP and tried WinFTP.  On the mac I have used the native client with Mac OS 10.5.6.

I can take the same file and ftp it to both units with the exact same file then download it to my windows box and one file works and the other is corrupted when I try to play the movie with the same software on the windows XP box.

All smaller files seem to work fine on the DNS-343.  I use the DNS-343 as my backup server and I use the DNS-323 as the media player for my appletv so I normally do not pull the files that I have put on the box.

I have opened Case with Technical support DLK400255816 back in April with no resolution.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:36:00 PM by thomsondb »

ramseyle

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 07:33:26 PM »

After upgrading to the 1.02 and re-stripping the raid, my FTP problems went away, but I am not working with files of that size (yet).

sliderwkw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 08:25:17 AM »

I have tried Raid5 and EXT3 with the 1.03 b70 firmware. it seems it still has the corruption issues. did a md5 check on the file . upload it on the nas and download it again to my system. the md5 checksum completely changes.

I even check the md5 physically on the nas iteself , it seems the file is already corrupted on the nas itself. Gosh, how come dlink is realising a bad product that corrupts data?

eugeug

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 10:57:57 PM »

I get similar problems on a DNS-343 with 1TB WD drives.  no raid.  Did the issue go away with 1.03?